Twenty-somethings prove themselves wrong

Twenty-somethings are more self-absorbed and independent than ever, if Morely Safer of “60 Minutesâ€Â is right.

On our weekly Campus Speak man on the street run, Multimedia Editor Joe Hollak referred me to Safer̢۪s story, as near to an indictment of you and your attitude problems as Safer would muster.

Safer said, in part:

But for sure, there is an almost evangelical fervor about this work philosophy — no stick, all carrots. And believe it or not, all this prodding, praising, peddling, cajoling and psychobabble is worth $50 billion a year in business. Ain’t America great?

Where else you find free back rubs for the deserving worker bee? What̢۪s wrong with a happy workplace and taking your time to grow up?

Watch the story if you must, but the real battle is in the comments.

Self-identified baby boomers backed Safer, and others argued that students face real challenges earlier on. Because the economy of the 80s and 90s all but obliterated American blue-collar jobs, one commenter wrote, college these days is mandatory.

It doesn’t prepare students for real life or the workforce, and parents hadn’t picked up the slack. Maybe it’s the other way around: colleges haven’t bothered to pick up the slack our parents left by coddling us.

If these commenters represent the maturing generation, then we really do blame our parents̢۪ lack of involvement for being the messed-up generation as we enter the workplace.

The commenters prove Safer̢۪s story right on one point: kids these days are more self-centered or at least irresponsible.

As the comments show, we can̢۪t help but point the finger at someone else.

****

In other news: they better not end up calling this Plant-gate; Stephen Colbert loses an election; and oh hell, they have.

$100
$500

$100
$500

WhateverNov 15, 2007 at 5:45 pm

Well I think Fresno is exempt in some ways from the topics this story touches on. We aren’t a prestigious school and in a town that requires a huge, young, educated work force. I assume this story was crafted mostly in L.A. Many of us in Fresno feel very lucky to find full-time work not involving burgers.

While the momma’s boy stuff is probably just in there for good show, even though it is probably true in some cases, I think it’s interesting to note the differences in concept when it comes to things like loyalty.

It’s true that many today don’t feel or understand this loyalty to the company, which seems to have been prevalent in past generations. You can see by the way the story is written that it is assumed that you’re supposed to wear nice clothes, behave, and WANT to help the company, not yourself. And I’m not sure that’s really the case now.

Should it be? With outsourcing, crazy inflation and tons of other problems brought to us thanks to the older generations, do they deserve it? Many older college students probably think it’s a good financial decision to live with their parents because it’s impossible to afford school any other way. I doubt many WANT to live with their parents, even if they consider it a good decision.

But I do think the parts about pointing blame at others and not being able to accept harsh criticism are a little exaggerated, even though probably accurate for some mamma’s boys.

WhateverNov 15, 2007 at 10:45 am

Ash Ketchum BowserNov 14, 2007 at 10:36 pm

I watched the 60 Minutes report. It generalized all kids born between 1980 and 1995 as whores for attention and praise who can’t handle bad news and can’t hack the real world pressures of today. These punk kids who think they can wear flip flops with semi-formal business attire and make demands upon getting their first job offer need to look to the Dell company and its Indian workforce to see that they are all expendible. In the 21st century no job is sacred. We are all numbers. I hope Fresno State students are not going to be in for this rude awakening.

Ash Ketchum BowserNov 15, 2007 at 5:36 am

WhateverNov 14, 2007 at 2:32 pm

This is basically the best link ever.

All the educated 20-somethings should organize and strike.

WhateverNov 14, 2007 at 9:32 pm

This is basically the best link ever.