To brown bag it or not to brown bag it?

Photo illustration by Jennifer Smart / The Collegian

The price students pay for convenience –– err, maybe not.

Plenty of food choices are available to students on campus and off, with prices almost equal to the variety of options. A fast paced life can make an impact on health and on the wallet. Price plays almost an equal role to convenience.

Miriam Garcia, a junior social work major, commutes from Visalia. Even though she is on campus from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., she does not eat on campus –– ever.

“I have not eaten here for as long as I have been here,â€Â Garcia said.

She prefers to make a sustainable breakfast in the morning that will take her into a mid-morning snack.

“I bring a fruit, an apple or banana,â€Â Garcia said. “I have my water, too. Sometimes I bring a sandwich.â€Â

The main reason for her decision to bring food from home is the cost of food on campus.

Downstairs in the University Student Union (USU) sits Chick-Fil-A, Subway and Panda Express. Around the bend is the smoothie place, Juice It Up, and across the way are several different dining experiences with Mother Mary̢۪s, Round Table and Taco Bell Express.

All these places offer fast food under $10. A meal out of a la carte items can squeak under $5.

Although a student can purchase food for under $5 at The Bucket Grill & Pub, with a drink it is usually going to cost a little bit more. Diners can expect favorite classics such as nachos, hamburgers and fries. With prices usually reflecting quickness in the USU, meals at The Bucket are going to require a short wait.

The Vintage Room rounds out the main food choices on campus with a more formal atmosphere. Two people dining together at the restaurant will more than likely incur a bill of around $15 to $20.

Eating there may be a little bit more expensive than other places on campus, but diners are able to control the healthiness of their meal. The Vintage Room offers a wide range of food from salads and sandwiches, to hearty pasta dishes.

Sophomore social work major Joy King was found finishing off her Panda Express meal. She eats on campus about once every two weeks.

She has two factors that contribute to her decision to rarely eat while at school, “money and I stay off campus,â€Â King said.

She even shops at a WinCo supermarket because of the lower prices. King said that when she does eat on campus, she chooses the cheaper places.

Certain food locations on campus are more expensive than their counterparts off campus.

In fact, a six-inch turkey sandwich at Subway on campus is $4.25, while the same exact sandwich at the Cedar and Herndon avenues location is $4.19. Although it is a six-cent difference, the only noticeable difference is the two miles that separate the locations.

Students who are willing to walk a couple hundred feet will notice the lower prices at several restaurants and markets.

Betty̢۪s sandwiches in the southeast corner of Shaw and Cedar avenues, offers all of its sandwiches for $3.99. For 99 cents more, a combo can be made with a choice of soup, chili, pasta or green salad. That is only 73 cents more than a Subway sandwich on campus and includes a toasted sandwich with a side.

In addition, Wendy̢۪s and McDonald̢۪s have their value meals that feature more than several items under a $1.

For things like energy drinks, candy and other food on the go, two 7-11̢۪s and several liquor stores are all within walking distance of campus. Prices and options vary, but tend to be inexpensive alternatives to choices at restaurants.

Students who like to take control of what they eat can find the mother load at Save Mart on Bullard Avenue and First Street, the closest supermarket to campus.

Students can also support classmates by buying items from the Fresno State Farm Market on the east side of the school at Barstow and Chestnut avenues, but can be limited on the variety of food offered.

Dairy, fruit, nuts and meat products are about the only things students will find at the store, but there other choice items such as wine and olive oil.

With limited hours of business, and an extra dollar more for milk, students may find less expensive options elsewhere.