Thirsty? Try H2O

It’s not unusual to see the morning rush with cars flooding in and out of the Starbucks drive thru line.

Then at midday, passersby gulp down 24 ounce sodas and stand in line to order an energy boosting drink from Juice It Up! Odds are you do this yourself.

With all the beverages being consumed, both instead of and in addition to meals, it’s a wonder the popular phrase “you are what you eat” hasn’t been morphed into “you are what you drink.”

“My boyfriend works at Starbucks and drinks coffee constantly and I’m always telling him he needs to stop because he may develop health problems later on,” freshman Mai Vue said.

It is a scary thought that as more and more Starbucks and 7-Elevens, open the higher America’s obesity rate climbs and the more cases of heart related illnesses there are.

According to Yahoo! Health, that Venti Mocha Frappuccino often seen being guzzled down in place of breakfast food is costing you 380, mostly empty, calories.

That 20 ounce bottle of Pepsi with lunch adds an extra 250 calories.

Maybe this is a hint that it’s time to search for healthier options.

Juice It Up! employee Ray Pat said, “Juice It Up! is healthier than competitors like Jamba Juice because we use fresh fruit, rather than frozen, and nonfat yogurt in our drinks, which really can substitute as a lunch because the drinks are filling and much better for you than the fast food alternative.”

In fact, the average beverage at Juice It Up! has 280 calories, while Jamba Juice comparatively contains an average of 450 calories in an original-sized drink.

Aside from the juice option on campus, there are several other healthy and less expensive choices.

“I drink both hot and cold green tea,” said Haiwen He, a Chinese foreign exchange student. “It’s much healthier than other options, and I have been drinking tea my whole life.”

This is very cost effective because a 20 ounce Arizona Tea costs 99 cents, as opposed to a $3 smoothie at Juice It Up! or a $4 coffee beverage at Starbucks.

Of course if you’re trying to save cash, there is always the classic tap water option.

“I normally drink water, especially at restaurants that charge for refills on soft drinks,” Freshman Kinesiology major Garrett Workman said. “It’s not because water tastes better or because it has no calories, but because it’s the right price.”

So whether you’re concerned with your health or diet, or just simply your wallet, be sure to take note of your drinking habits, alongside your eating ones.

Hidden calories in some of your favorite drinks: The loaded truth

Whether trying a low-fat diet or simply being more health conscious, these three popular drinks can sabotage a diet.
̢ۢ Starbucks Venti (20 0z.) Vanilla Latte: 250 calories, 60 of which are from fat.
̢ۢ Big Gulp: 44 oz. of that sugar-filled Pepsi or other soft drink will cost you up to 600 calories and 40 teaspoons of sugar.
̢ۢ 16 oz. Jumpin’ Java from Juice It Up!: 380 calories and 5 grams of fat.