The Collegian’s Top 25

The Missouri Tigers celebrate in triumph Saturday night in Kansas City after their 36-28 victory over Kansas. Missouri clinched the Big 12 North title and will play Oklahoma this Saturday for the Big 12 Championship in San Antonio. The Tigers are No. 1 in the rankings for the first time this season.
Charlie Riedel / Associated Press

No. 1 Missouri (11-1)
Last Week: Beat Kansas 36-28
This Week: Big 12 Championship Game at Oklahoma (10-2)
Tidbit: If the Tigers can beat Oklahoma in the Big 12 Championship Game, then they will be playing for the national title.

No. 2 West Virginia (10-1)
Last Week: Beat Connecticut 66-21
This Week: Pittsburgh (4-7)
Tidbit: Quarterback Pat White is carrying the Mountaineers right now. If West Virginia can win the “Backyard Brawl,â€Â they will be in the National Championship Game.

No. 3 Ohio State (11-1)
Last Week: Idle
This Week: Regular season completed
Tidbit: The Buckeyes are just sitting back and waiting for someone to lose right now. If that happens, they still have a chance at a national title.

No. 4 Georgia (10-2)
Last Week: Beat Georgia Tech 31-17
This Week: Regular season completed
Tidbit: Georgia is at No. 4, but they won̢۪t be playing in the SEC Championship Game. A BCS bowl game is still attainable.

No. 5 Kansas (11-1)
Last Week: Lost 28-36 to Missouri
This Week: Regular season completed
Tidbit: Losing to the Tigers was a big blow, but Kansas could still receive a bid to a BCS bowl game.

No. 6 Virginia Tech (10-2)
Last Week: Beat Virginia 33-21
This Week: ACC Championship Game vs. Boston College (10-2)
Tidbit: The Hokies will go to the Orange Bowl if they can defeat the Eagles on Saturday.

No. 7 LSU (10-2)
Last Week: Lost 48-50 (OT) to Arkansas
This Week: SEC Championship Game at Tennessee (9-3)
Tidbit: The Tigers dropped a heartbreaker to the Razorbacks Friday night, but can clinch a Sugar Bowl berth this weekend.

No. 8 USC (9-2)
Last Week: Beat Arizona State 44-24
This Week: UCLA (6-5)
Tidbit: If USC can defeat the Bruins on Saturday, the Trojans will be headed to their third straight Rose Bowl.

No. 9 Oklahoma (10-2)
Last Week: Beat Oklahoma State 49-17
This Week: Big 12 Championship Game vs. Missouri (11-1)
Tidbit: The Sooners will go to the Fiesta Bowl if they can take down the No. 1 Tigers this week.

No. 10 Florida (9-3)
Last Week: Beat Florida State 45-12
This Week: Regular season completed
Tidbit: Tim Tebow may have punched his ticket to New York City for the Heisman with a five-touchdown performance Saturday.

No. 11 Hawaii (11-0)
Last Week: Beat Boise State 39-27
This Week: Washington (4-8)
Tidbit: The Warriors took home the WAC Championship with a win over Boise Friday night. One more win could land them in a BCS bowl game.

No.12 Boston College (10-2)
Last Week: Beat Miami 28-14
This Week: ACC Championship Game at Virginia Tech (10-2)
Tidbit: Quarterback Matt Ryan may not be in the Heisman race anymore, but he and the Eagles will go to the Orange Bowl with a win on Saturday.

No. 13 Tennessee (9-3)
Last Week: Beat Kentucky 52-50 (OT)
This Week: SEC Championship Game vs. LSU (10-2)
Tidbit: The SEC East Champion Volunteers need to beat LSU Saturday to earn a berth in the Sugar Bowl.

No. 14 Arizona State (9-2)
Last Week: Lost 24-44 to USC
This Week: Arizona (5-6)
Tidbit: ASU still has a chance at the Rose Bowl, but they will need some help from UCLA to leap-frog USC.

No. 15 Illinois (9-3)
Last Week: Idle
This Week: Regular season completed
Tidbit: The Fighting Illini̢۪s regular season is over, but they are waiting patiently for a bid to a decent bowl game.

No. 16 Clemson (9-3)
Last Week: Beat South Carolina 23-21
This Week: Regular season completed
Tidbit: Clemson may be out of the ACC Championship race, but the Tigers could be headed to the Peach Bowl.

No. 17 Wisconsin (9-3)
Last Week: Idle
This Week: Regular season completed
Tidbit: The Badgers̢۪ season is over in the Big Ten, but they are still bowl-eligible.

No. 18 Texas (9-3)
Last Week: Lost 30-38 at Texas A&M
This Week: Regular season completed
Tidbit: The Longhorns took a huge blow losing to the Aggies, but their season is not over yet.

No. 19 Oregon (8-3)
Last Week: Lost 0-16 at UCLA
This Week: Oregon State (7-4)
Tidbit: The loss of quarterback Dennis Dixon has led to a downward spiral for the Ducks. Oregon could end the season with four losses.

No. 20 BYU (9-2)
Last Week: Beat Utah 17-10
This Week: at San Diego State (4-7)
Tidbit: The Cougars have quietly worked their way up in the rankings. BYU has clinched the Mountain West Conference and will be heading to the Las Vegas Bowl.

No. 21 Virginia (9-3)
Last Week: Lost 21-33 to Virginia Tech
This Week: Regular season completed
Tidbit: The Cavaliers just fell short of an ACC Championship Game berth, but still have a bowl game to look forward to.

No. 22 Cincinnati (9-3)
Last Week: Beat Syracuse 52-31
This Week: Regular season completed
Tidbit: The Bearcats finished strong with a convincing victory over the Orange and could end up in the Gator Bowl.

No. 23 Boise State (10-2)
Last Week: Lost 27-39 at Hawaii
This Week: Regular season completed
Tidbit: Boise State will not be repeating last season̢۪s performance, but will most likely play at home in the Humanitarian Bowl.

No. 24 Auburn (8-4)
Last Week: Beat Alabama 17-10
This Week: Regular season completed
Tidbit: The Tigers were able to win the Iron Bowl over Alabama and end their season on a high note.

No. 25 Arkansas (8-4)
Last Week: Beat LSU 50-48 (OT)
This Week: Regular season completed
Tidbit: Running back Darren McFadden is making a strong case for the Heisman, leading the Razorbacks to a huge upset over LSU.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• F

FSDogs1Nov 29, 2007 at 12:41 pm

I’d rather see ANYONE in the national title game than the same ol’ teams we see every year. I turn the channel when I see USC or LSU or Ohio State or Miami. I think West Virginia and Missouri (for example) would be exciting. Some new blood.

Don’t say the BCS is a sham and then root for the good ol’ boys network to keep getting better access to the national championship every year. The only fix is a playoff.

• F

FSDogs1Nov 29, 2007 at 7:41 pm

• E

Elroy JetsonNov 28, 2007 at 2:29 pm

The whole system is a sham (it’s been a joke for some time) if West Virginia and Ohio State are playing each other for the BCS Title. That’s a border war that nobody hopes to see. I’d have to flip the channel on that one. The schedules of each of those teams pale in comparison to those of SEC, PAC-10, and Big-12 schools.
    Let’s go Hawaii!—-win and let us make a return trip to Honolulu for a bowl.

• E

Elroy JetsonNov 28, 2007 at 9:29 pm