Survey from the Office of the President asks campus for advice

The Office of the President concluded a five-year administrative program review on October 26 to evaluate the services the office provides to members of the campus community.

Michelle Nelson, who manages the Office of the President, said the purpose of the survey was to get feedback on services needed and how to better communicate with faculty, staff and students.

“The last time the survey was conducted was in 2002,â€Â Nelson said. “The process started in 2000 when we started reviewing all administrative areas. The first survey was helpful and based on the results of the last review, we changed a lot of things in the office. One thing was the request for an online survey.â€Â

Nelson said the survey in 2002 was an e-mail request, and not an online survey.

“The last time we had 62 total responses,â€Â Nelson said. “With this survey, we had 326 total responses – primarily staff and administration, but also 80 faculty, a few students, and 15 or so community members.â€Â

The survey, which first asked whether the respondent̢۪s primary role at the university was administrator/staff, faculty, student or community member, stated that all responses would be confidential, and no individual responses would be identified in the final report.

The survey then asked six questions to be rated from 1 to 5, with 1 being low and 5 being high. Three of those questions were:

̢ۢ One of the main functions of the Office of the President is to communicate regularly to campus constituents on a wide variety of issues related to campus life. Overall, how satisfied are you with the communications from the Office of the President?

̢ۢ The staff in the Office of the President strives to make access to the president and information on the policies and procedures, as well as other information, available to all members of the campus community. How satisfied are you with their efforts to meet this goal?

̢ۢ Are you receiving communications from the Office of the President on issues that you think are important in order for you to do your work?

The seventh question asked the respondent to rate from 1 to 5 the communication systems used by the Office of the President, such as the president̢۪s annual fall newsletter, the fall and spring faculty and staff assemblies, the information posted on FresnoStateNews.com, the online University Journal and the President̢۪s Reflections.

The remainder of the survey asked for individual comments, such as how certain areas might be improved and suggestions that had not been addressed.

Nelson said the data was being analyzed now and would not be available until the first week of December.

“When the data comes in, it will be a report from an external review team,â€Â Nelson said. “The team comes to campus, meets with offices and the president and writes a final report based on the survey and the campus visit.â€Â