Priority registration — some students get in quicker than others

Class registration is upon us once again. The frantic race to get your classes picked and reserved before the next person claims your seat.

With students generally having enough stress in their lives as it is, class registration is just another item on the list. Whether you̢۪re graduating in an upcoming semester, finding that one class which is only offered at a specific time or just enrolling in as many classes as you can handle, it̢۪s first-come, first-serve.

But how does one become the first served with an online registration system that tells us when we can go? Misconceptions abound about how this system works.

Some students think it̢۪s by alphabetical order. Others think it̢۪s based on the department they̢۪re in. Still others say it̢۪s totally random.

“Whatever the system is, I feel that it’s unfair because whenever I used to sign up for classes, it seemed as if me and my friends were always in the last few days to go,â€Â former Fresno State student Breanne Buscaglia, 22, said. “So my motivation to get my classes in order was low. I assumed the classes were already full, which was very frustrating as I got closer to finishing school.â€Â

There is some truth to these misconceptions — there is an order that the registrar’s office follows. But the most important thing is the school policy that all outstanding bills and fees are paid prior to registering for another semester.

If fees are not paid, the registrar̢۪s office puts a hold on your online account, preventing you from registering for your classes, according to the registrar̢۪s Web site.

According to the registrar̢۪s office, the system for picking classes is set up in a specific order.

Athletes go first, with about a month̢۪s head start ahead of the rest of the student body.

“When I played for state, athletes got to pick classes like a month before the rest of the students,â€Â former Fresno State student and baseball player Loren Storey said. “I had coaches help me with the scheduling so I could get classes around my practices.â€Â

The next to register are the honor students who receive exemplary grades and may be on academic scholarships.

After them, registration opens up to the students who have agreed with the university to stay on pace and graduate in four years, an academic program that students need to apply for prior to their first semester.

Finally, after all those students get taken care of, it̢۪s the rest of the student body̢۪s turn. The dates open up according to seniority and number of units completed.

For example, a junior with 63 units will go after a junior with 68 units. The only exclusion is incoming freshmen and transfer students who participate in Dog Days; they have a chance to register during their orientation, which may be earlier than the normal registration opening week.

Whether a regular student, scholar athlete or on academic scholarship, there is not a lot you can do to be one of the first enrollees for classes.

For best results, students may want to stay focused on their classwork, because rank in seniority will rise with time and students can move up to an earlier registration period.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• R

Rik SmitsNov 8, 2007 at 1:31 pm

when so many students have priority registration: CAMP, athletes, ROTC, disabled, Smittcamp, HCOP, student teachers, student government, USU leadership, RED ZONE executive board (ha!), then you have some issues. Full-time, full fee paying students seem to be marginalized.

• R

Rik SmitsNov 8, 2007 at 8:31 pm