New ‘brand’ of Bulldog football shines

Photo by Juan Villa / The Collegian
Juan Villa / The Collegian
Photo by Juan Villa / The Collegian
Juan Villa / The Collegian
Photo by Juan Villa / The Collegian
Juan Villa / The Collegian

I have had just about enough of the negativity.

Every day on the news it seems there is some new scandal involving the Fresno State athletic department. Whether it’s Stacy Johnson-Klein’s trial, the continued adventures of Jason Shirley or the criminal antics of Rekalin Sims – negativity continues to surround Fresno State.

It seems that the only thing Fresno State is known for, as of late, is its legal troubles.

But, I̢۪m a look at the glass half-full kind of guy. I̢۪m negative media coverage ruins the integrity of Fresno State̢۪s athletic program kind of guy.

In fact I am going to share something with you that was probably shoved behind the continued coverage of the Johnson-Klein trial on the ten o’clock news Saturday night – Fresno State’s football team beat Kansas State!

Fresno State quarterback Tom Brandstater finally got that signature win he had been looking for, and he did it with flair.

Brandstater threw for a career-high 313 yards in Saturday̢۪s 45-29 victory over the Kansas State Wildcats.

The Fresno State signal caller was playing better than I have ever seen him and I have watched every snap of his collegiate career.

He completed 23 of 29 passes and threw for two scores. It was like he was possessed by the spirits of Trent Dilfer, David Carr and the Sweeney family.

It seemed that Brandstater̢۪s favorite target, wide receiver Marlon Moore, was channeling former Bulldog standout Bernard Berrian.

Moore had 134 yards receiving and two touchdown receptions. The Bulldog faithful finally got to see an outstanding performance by a wide receiver for the first time in about two years.

The ground game shined as well for Fresno State. Running back Anthony Harding stepped in for the Bulldogs and ran for 115 yards and a score.

Harding is just the type of running back you love to watch. He punished Kansas State̢۪s defenders by running straight at them, knocking them over and fighting for extra yardage.

For Fresno State’s seniors, this was the perfect way to go out – a win over a BCS conference opponent. But this game also was a coming out party for some members of the Fresno State offense.

Fresno State may not be conference champion, but with a win over New Mexico State this coming weekend, the Bulldogs could finish the season with a record of 8-4 – literally, a complete 180 degree turn from last season.

While it will be sad to see many of the seniors go, there is a lot to be excited about at Fresno State.

Brandstater looks like he will be in all-conference form come 2008. Harding, Lonyae Miller and Ryan Mathews will all be returning to form arguably the toughest running back tandem in the conference.

Brandstater will have plenty of targets at his disposable with Moore, Seyi Ajirotutu and the much-anticipated return of Chastin West.

Also, if Bear Pascoe doesn̢۪t leave for the NFL, he and Isaac Kinter could prove to be a lethal combination at tight end.

A new brand of Bulldog football is starting to emerge at Fresno State. With the youth movement starting to come into its own, the football program is taking a huge step forward.

Pat Hill has said it all season – this team knows how to handle adversity. Think how good the Bulldogs could be without all the injuries.

Saturday̢۪s victory proved that the Bulldogs can still hang with the titans of the BCS conferences, and gave the Red Wave something to look forward to.

So when you see the negative stories released about the athletic program, just remember the Bulldogs are going to a bowl game this December.

Now that̢۪s something to remain positive about.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• 2

2 girls 1 cup dot comNov 27, 2007 at 2:56 pm

Looking forward to the Hawaii Bowl and the August, 2008 match-up between the Dogs and Bruins at the Rose Bowl.

• 2

2 girls 1 cup dot comNov 27, 2007 at 9:56 pm

• T

TacoNoodleDinnerNov 27, 2007 at 2:44 pm

Well said.

• T

TacoNoodleDinnerNov 27, 2007 at 9:44 pm

Well said.