Good things come in threes

Juan Villa / The Collegian

The Fresno State men̢۪s basketball team is off to a 2-1 start, powered by the team̢۪s ability to get open and hit three-point shots.

“The one thing we do is we shoot threes,â€Â men’s basketball coach Steve Cleveland said. “We’re not obviously a throw the thing down 50-times and score on the block; it’s not what we’re going to be.â€Â

This season, the Bulldogs are shooting 40 percent from behind the three-point arc.

The ‘Dogs’ high three-point shooting percentage has proved a nuisance for opposing teams.

“They’re so potent from behind that arc; you got to get out there and that just opens the floor and it’s a very difficult decision you have to make,â€Â Liberty men’s basketball coach Ritchie McKay said.

He added that 3-point shooting players like Eddie Miller, Bryan Harvey, Dwight O̢۪Neil and Hector Hernandez make it hard to make defensive decisions when playing this team.

With a team of these three-point shooters, Cleveland expressed some concern of the importance of the team picking their shots intelligently.

“Were going to get open threes, but if we dribble into them or shoot contested ones, it’s not going to help us as a basketball team,â€Â Cleveland said.

The ‘Dogs have had diverse ways of getting the ball to the open three-point shooter this year.

Senior point guard Kevin Bell was named to the all-tournament team.
Joseph Vasquez / The Collegian

“We got to get the ball into the paint, either through dribble attacks or through post feed,â€Â Cleveland said. “It gives us opportunities when they help to kick, and that’s kind of how we play. When we do that we’re going to be competitive.â€Â

Fresno State has used a lot of off-ball movement, diagonals and screens to get open this year.

In the team̢۪s 71-62 victory against Liberty last Saturday at the Save Mart Center, Cleveland said that player movement in that game opened up the court and gave them good spacing.

When the court is open, it gives Miller a chance to get open when a defender starts to lie off of him.

“[Miller] is very opportunistic, and he’s got a good motor; he runs and keeps running and he keeps running,â€Â Cleveland said. “He waits until someone makes a mistake, and he’ll get his shot.â€Â

Around the rim, Fresno State̢۪s big men have helped open up the three-point shot.

“Once you get post touches, everything sinks in, and it opens up a better shot for the shooters on the kick-out,â€Â O’Neil said, who received a World Vision Classic all-tournament selection. “We need to get a lot more post touches.â€Â

“A good post touch, or a good drive, or a good diagonal, means so much,â€Â O’Neill said. “The defense has to shift, and when you’re patient you get that. From an offensive standpoint that’s big.â€Â

When the three-points don̢۪t fall, point guard Kevin Bell said he has to drive the ball to the rim and regain his team̢۪s confidence.

He said his team̢۪s ability to open the court has made it easier for him to penetrate, giving him scoring opportunities to drive to the rim.

“We got this saying that [Bell] is the general, the way he leads is the way we want to follow,â€Â O’Neil said. “Whether or not his shots are falling, that’s our guy, that’s who we have; he’s the general.â€Â

Bell has averaged 19.3 points a game and 5.6 assists along with a preseason all-conference selection.

He also was named to the all-tournament team this past weekend.

“We’re a good team. Any given night Eddie could have a good shooting night, Hector could,â€Â O’Neil said. “What we want to do is have all five starters in double figures, and over five boards.

“We’re good and that is what everyone is hoping for.â€Â

$100
$500

$100
$500

DanNov 14, 2007 at 5:54 pm

Bad news for the basketball team over the weekend. Player by the name of Sims got busted for allegedly being the driver of the getaway car involved in a mugging on Bulldog Lane.

And, the Fresno police website reported these other robberies happened in the campus area in the last couple of days:

Case No. 07097301, occurred 11-12-2007 at 19:02:11 and was reported at 7:02:11 PM. Occurred at 21XX E SHAW AV near N ROWELL. And….
    Case No. 07097674, occurred 11-13-2007 at 20:05:00, and was reported at 8:09:10 PM. This occurred at N CEDAR AV and E SHAW AV.

DanNov 15, 2007 at 12:54 am

• R

Rik SmitsNov 14, 2007 at 2:08 pm

First Terry Pettis, now Rekalin Sims. Wow, Steve Cleveland is making a hell of a difference. The players are going from murder in the first degree under Ray Lopes to robbery with bodily injury under Steve-O.

• R

Rik SmitsNov 14, 2007 at 9:08 pm