Fresno State Football: Week 10 Preview

Juan Villa / The Collegian

Fresno State Bulldogs (5-3, 4-1 WAC) vs. Utah State Aggies (0-8, 0-4 WAC)

Game Day: Saturday, 2 p.m., at Bulldog Stadium
Radio: KMJ-AM 580 and KGST-AM 1600 (ESPN Deportes)
Pre-game Show: ESPN Game Day Live (KFIG-AM 1430) at 11 a.m.

Bulldogs̢۪ Three Keys to Victory:
1) Put the game out of reach early. The Aggies will be confident, knowing they beat the Bulldogs last season. If Fresno State can get ahead early and shut the Aggies down, then they will deflate all of Utah State̢۪s confidence.
2) Contain Robinson on special teams. One of the biggest sources of the Aggies̢۪ offense is Kevin Robinson̢۪s ability to set them up on return teams. The kickoff and punt teams will need to have great coverage and prevent this.
3) Forget about last week. In the past, the Bulldogs have sometimes fallen off a bit after losing close games to big-time opponents. Fresno State needs to stay focused at the task at hand, beat the Aggies and regain some momentum.

Statistics From the Salt Lake…

Last Week: Lost 21-31 to Louisiana Tech
2006 Record: 1-11, 1-7 WAC (T-8th)
Head Coach: Brent Guy (Third Season)
Offense: Multiple
Defense: 4-3
Key Players: LB Kyle Hutton, FS Caleb Taylor, QB Leon Jackson III
Series Record: Fresno State leads 11-10-1
Last Meeting: 2006 – Utah State won 13-12 in Logan

Position Match-ups

When Fresno State Runs: Fresno State
With Miller back in action this week, the running game will be unstoppable.

When Utah State Runs: Fresno State
The Aggies̢۪ running game is basically non-existenet.

When Fresno State Passes: Fresno State
Moore and Ajiortutu have been showing big-play capability. Brandstater will be back in form.

When Utah State Passes: Fresno State
Utah State̢۪s Jackson hasn̢۪t been able to establish an efficient passing game for the Aggies this season.

When Fresno State Kicks: Utah State
Stitser missed two field goals last week. Robinson is one of the nation̢۪s top kick returners.

When Utah State Kicks: Fresno State
It seems that no one can find a way to stop Clifton Smith or A.J. Jefferson on the return teams.

Breakdown: Bulldogs

Last week̢۪s loss was definitely a momentum killer. Fresno State had everything going for them: a four-game winning streak, a conference lead and a national stage to upset the Broncos. But like so many times in the past, the Bulldogs fell short to Boise State. Time to forget about all that now.

The Bulldogs won̢۪t need much motivation for this week̢۪s contest against the Utah State Aggies. But just to remind everyone, the Aggies are 1-19 in their past 20 games. That one win came against the Bulldogs in Logan, Utah last season.

Fresno State is one win away from being bowl eligible. A win would not only clinch the bowl berth, but would be sweet redemption from a season ago.

Offense:

̢ۢ Quarterback Tom Brandstater threw for a career-high 263 yards last week and tied his career-high with 21 completions. But he also overthrew his receivers and could not get much of a rhythm going on offense in the second half. Expect Brandstater to bounce back against the Aggies, who have the league̢۪s worst defense, allowing 456.4 yards per game.

̢ۢ Running back Ryan Mathews did not fare so well in his first collegiate start. He was only able to gain 49 yards, but did score a touchdown that broke the freshman touchdown record. With Lonyae Miller back, the Bulldogs will be able to re-establish their running back by committee.

̢ۢ The offensive line suffered a huge blow with the loss of Joe Bernardi. But with Cole Popovich back, Ryan Wendell can slide back to center and the line should be able to cope with it. It also helps that Utah State has allowed nine sacks this season, the worst in the Western Athletic Conference (WAC).

̢ۢ The receiving corps has started to show that it has some big-play capability as of late. Marlon Moore made an outstanding catch at the back of the end zone last week and ended the night with six grabs for 79 yards. Seyi Ajirotutu added a big, 41-yard catch.

Defense:

̢ۢ The Bulldogs defense will be facing an inefficient Utah State offense this weekend. The Aggies have the worst total offense in the WAC, only gaining 262.9 yards per game.

Fresno State player to watch: Linebacker Marcus Riley
Juan Villa / The Collegian

̢ۢ Linebacker Marcus Riley is making a strong case for WAC Defensive Player of the Year. He ranks fifth in the WAC with 80 total tackles this season.

̢ۢ Tyler Clutts moved into fifth place all-time on the career sacks list against Boise last weekend.

Breakdown: Aggies

There hasn̢۪t been much to smile about in Logan, Utah as of late. The Utah State Aggies have been cellar-dwellers in the WAC for some time and haven̢۪t shown any signs of moving up soon. Head coach Brent Guy is in his third season and holds a record of 4-27.

The one bright spot over the past two seasons was a 13-12 win over Fresno State in 2006. The Aggies scored a 55-yard touchdown pass with under a minute remaining in regulation for the win. The Aggies will be hoping that they can pull out another one against the Bulldogs, and try to salvage something positive out of this season.

Offense:

Utah State player to watch: Wide Receiver Kevin Robinson
Ryan Talbot / USU Athletic Media Relations

̢ۢ The Aggies̢۪ biggest offensive weapon is wide receiver/kick returner Kevin Robinson. The Fresno native leads the WAC with 1,637 all-purpose yards. He̢۪s also the team leader with 39 catches for 435 yards and three touchdowns. On special teams, Robinson had a punt return touchdown and two kick-off returns for scores.

̢ۢ Under center for the Aggies is Leon Jackson III. Among all WAC starting quarterbacks, he ranks last with 120 passing yards per game and four touchdowns. Jackson doubles as the team̢۪s punter and leads the WAC with 42.3 yards per kick average.

Defense:

̢ۢ Linebacker Jake Hutton leads the Aggies with 62 total tackles. Hutton sat out a majority of the 2006 season with a foot injury. His counterpart, Paul Igboeli, was WAC Freshman of the Year in 2006 and is tied for second on the team with 58 total tackles.

̢ۢ Free safety Caleb Taylor is the Aggies̢۪ lone force in the secondary with 58 total tackles on the season. He leads the team with seven tackles for a loss. Taylor is also tied for the team lead with two interceptions this season.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• H

Huell HouserNov 6, 2007 at 1:35 pm

And David Carr is tearing up the NFL ranks, isn’t he?

• H

Huell HouserNov 6, 2007 at 8:35 pm

• F

FSDogs1Nov 5, 2007 at 4:38 pm

Who has a bigger national following? You think Utah and/or Boise State do? Bigger than Fresno State? What’s your evidence?

Because I’ll argue that you take a poll around the country who coaches these three teams and more people will know Pat Hill than either of the other two coaches.

Boise State is a hot commodity right now, but Fresno State was as big or bigger on the national scene as recently as 2005. And Fresno State was at that level from 2001-2005 straight through. A level where everyone thought they had a good shot to win every game, even at USC (a team slated as college football’s best ever).

Boise State has still never even beaten a BCS-conference team on the road. Let that sink in for a moment…

Fresno State has more NFL players than any other non-BCS-conf. team (TCU is prob. the closest, and Boise State is NOWHERE NEAR that number).

Fresno State has better facilities and a better fan base — more community support. Look at the Bulldog Foundation and its history.

Fresno State had the No. 1 overall draft pick (Carr) and three NFL starting QBs at one time two years ago (Carr, Dilfer, Volek) — a number that has rarely been matched in history. The ‘Dogs were on the cover of Sports Illustrated and The Sporting News. Fresno State beats Boise State academically in APR.

There was a time in the last few years where Fresno State was ranked among the highest merchandise sales universities in the country…around the time Larry Walker was caught taking BP for the Rockies with a ‘Dogs cap on his head.

So, again, what’s your reasoning…?

• F

FSDogs1Nov 5, 2007 at 11:38 pm

So, again, what’s your reasoning…?

A.C. SlaterNov 5, 2007 at 2:42 pm

FSDogs1——How about the Bulldogs having a bigger national following than both Utah and Boise. Not true

Still, Hill is getting a little too reliant on the running game—heck, he’s been relying on the RB’s and special team punt/kick returners all season——-GIVE THE BALL TO PASCOE! I don’t know, depending on Matthew’s condition, I think we might surprise some people this Sat. night on the Isle. Also, we don’t want to lose two straight and go into the December game at NMSt. having to win that 7th game. Gotta win against K-State—at least—-and look for an 8th during the final week of the reg. season.

I see a possible spot in a bowl game for a 4th WAC team as it seems Nevada finishing 7-5 might be able to fill a C-USA spot in the postseason as an at-large.

A.C. SlaterNov 5, 2007 at 9:42 pm

• F

FSDogs1Nov 2, 2007 at 11:48 pm

Nice potshot Xango. But just a note, you might be more credible if you gave even a single example of when I’ve been wrong about something Fresno State…?

Look back, and point something out. Come on champ…

http://www.BulldogBounce.blogspot.com

• F

FSDogs1Nov 3, 2007 at 6:48 am

http://www.BulldogBounce.blogspot.com

• X

Xango VulviisNov 2, 2007 at 3:21 pm

FSDogs1 is right for the first time in a long time:

A 6-6 Bulldog team is simply ‘bowl eligible’: This means little as they likely need to go 7-5 to clinch a berth. The Poinsettia Bowl in San Diego might come calling if Navy finishes below .500. ESPN has us in the Hawaii Bowl contingent on Hawaii running the table and getting a Sugar or Fiesta invite. I don’s see that happening. If we can’t get a win against either Hawaii or Kansas State I think the majority of the student body will be quite pissed. It’s been some time since we actually beat a high profile team——-November of 2005 as I recall. 2004 were the last BCS-conference opponent wins (UVA, K-St., UW)

• X

Xango VulviisNov 2, 2007 at 10:21 pm

• F

FSDogs1Nov 2, 2007 at 1:54 pm

A win tomorrow doesn’t necessarily clinch a bowl berth, just makes the ‘Dogs bowl eligible. There will still be PLENTY of business to handle…

And Utah State’s O-line has allowed more than nine sacks this year. I think it’s more like 16…?

• F

FSDogs1Nov 2, 2007 at 8:54 pm