Food for fans

Fans can purchase various items at Bulldog Stadium, such as popcorn and lemonade. One product missing from Bulldog Stadium concession stands since 2006 is alcohol. While the alcohol ban is in effect at Bulldog Stadium, fans can purchase alcoholic drinks at the Save Mart Center.
Shaun Ho / The Collegian

Hot dogs and baseball are synonymous, but Fresno State sporting events have a wide variety of options for cheering fans.

Food and drinks for both Bulldog Stadium and the Save Mart Center are provided by Ovations Food Services, and Fresno State has a contract with Ovations through 2008.

Ovations also has a full management agreement with the Fresno Grizzlies through 2016.

For those with a sweet tooth, sweets such as gummy bears and jellybeans can be found at the Sweet Spot in the Save Mart Center.

There are also cookies, Fresno State ice cream and pucker sticks, which are ultimately colored sugar.

The Cone Zone also offers sweet treats, specifically ice cream.

They have various flavors served on regular or waffle cones. Root beer floats can also be purchased there, as well as regular drinks and candy.

The Fan Fare offers hotdogs and Kosher dogs are also available for a little bit more money.

The Save Mart Center offers different items at venues throughout the concourse, including the Sweet Spot, the Cone Zone, the Fan Fare and Me-N-Ed's.
Shaun Ho / The Collegian

A regular hot dog is about $4 and a Kosher dog is $5.

Wine can be purchased at the Save Mart Center, too. It is one of the few places that offers wine. If this is your fancy though, be prepared to pay $7 for a cup.

For the kids, a special kids meal is offered for $4.

“The kids meal comes with a hot dog, chips and a small soda,â€Â concession stand worker Arvelia Cooper said.

For nacho lovers, there are chili or cheese nachos and for a little bit more, there is the nacho grande, which comes topped with chili and cheese.

Me-N-Ed̢۪s Pizza is right next door offering pepperoni and cheese pizza slices for $5.

“The prices are high but you can’t come to a game and not buy something,â€Â basketball fan Wilbur Green said.

Fans who take advantage of the food offered at the Save Mart Center and Bulldog Stadium can find themselves leaving the game with an empty wallet.

“The prices for some food [items] are high,â€Â basketball fan Andrew Perez said. “They can set the prices as high as they want because they know people will still buy the food.â€Â

Tailgaters are allowed to consume alcohol and cook during tailgating.

Popular tailgating items include hotdogs, hamburgers, chips, sandwiches, soda and beer.

Tailgating also offers the advantage of allowing fans to consume alcohol before watching a game at alcohol-free Bulldog Stadium.

However, it does not come without rules.

Things such as tailgating may not begin until the area is controlled by athletics and is not allowed to take place while the game is being played are just a couple of rules.

Fans are also only allowed to consume alcohol within the specified area.

The alcohol ban at Bulldog Stadium was put into effect in 2006.

Charles B. Reed, chancellor of the California State University system, issued an executive order on Dec. 23, 2005 that prohibited the sale of alcoholic beverages at athletic events held in university-owned and operated facilities in the 23-campus system.

And although Fresno State could have waited to implement the ban until their alcohol concession contracts expired at the end of the 2007-2008 school year, school officials decided to end alcohol sales two years early.

The Save Mart Center, unlike Bulldog Stadium, does sell alcohol during events.

“Alcohol is sold at all Save Mart Center events, that I am aware of,â€Â concession stand worker Melinda Motaleo said.

The reason the Save Mart Center still serves alcohol is because the ban was on university-owned venues and the Save Mart Center is owned by an auxiliary group.

For people who attend Save Mart Center events and want to purchase alcohol, they can head over to one of the bottled beer concession stands.

They also offer other alcoholic items such as Smirnoff and Mike̢۪s Hard Lemonade.

To save their money, it is not uncommon to see fans packing the fields around Bulldog Stadium before the game.

Save Mart Center offers alcohol and food items at many events including volleyball, basketball, hockey and indoor track, as well as concerts.

Hungry fans should take advantage of these choices as the basketball season begins.

$100
$500

$100
$500

william sitchlerMar 13, 2009 at 1:45 pm

i applied for a job at the grizzlies stadium.i am interested in working for your company,just need a chance,
    thank you
    william sitchler

william sitchlerMar 13, 2009 at 8:45 pm

thank you
    william sitchler