Fajita Fiesta Mexican Restaurant

With an assortment of fajita dishes to choose from and a festive atmosphere, Fajita Fiesta Mexican Restaurant lives up to its name.

The spacious restaurant, on the southwest side of Shaw Avenue, near Cedar Avenue, features an extensive menu of traditional Mexican dishes, from chicken, beef, shrimp and pork fajitas to 10 choices of enchiladas. Entrée prices range from $9.95 to $15.95, and most dishes are served with rice and beans and a choice of soup or salad.

On a recent Thursday night, my family and I dined at the restaurant. As we walked to our table we passed the bar, a few steps up from the dining level, where patrons enjoyed the full bar service while watching a football game on a flat screen television.

After being seated by a friendly hostess, we were immediately served a warm basket of chips with salsa.

The brightly colored terra cotta walls, the three-tiered fountain and the faux palm trees created the impression of dining in a courtyard.

While waiting for the salads and albondigas soup, we listened to the Mexican music playing in the background.

As first time visitors to the restaurant, we decided to order three different dishes. The “choosyâ€Â family member tried the house specialty, tacos al carbon, fajita style pork, chicken, beef or shrimp rolled up in a handmade tortilla. Forgoing the usual beef or chicken, he ordered the shrimp version which he described as “good but nothing special.â€Â

Another family member liked the enchiladas de queso, three cheese enchiladas topped with a red meat sauce. I sampled the chicken fajitas al carbon, a combination of grilled chicken, green bell peppers, onions and tomatoes served with handmade tortillas.

Although my fajitas displayed a noticeable lack of sizzle when they arrived and the plates were not warm, the food was good and our server was attentive.

While the menu may be a bit pricey for the college student budget, Fajita Fiesta is a good choice for a special occasion or for entertaining a large group. From our table, we could see a large semi-private dining area.

The restaurant, one of three locations in Fresno, is open for dining from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., and has take-out and catering services.

If you want to create your own fiesta or just enjoy singing for your friends, you might want to visit on a Tuesday or Friday evening for karaoke night.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• 2

2girls1cup dot comNov 25, 2007 at 2:28 pm

I’d argue that the service industry as a whole is in decline. It’s just more apparent in food service.

• 2

2girls1cup dot comNov 25, 2007 at 9:28 pm

WhateverNov 19, 2007 at 5:35 pm

Oh yes. I bet in Modesto, or maybe Sacramento even, they know what service is all about.

Because people in Fresno don’t like to eat out and there’s not about 3,000 restaurants in town. They just can’t get that whole waiting tables thing down in this neolithic town. Must be all the SUVs and lack of green space or eco-friendly initiatives.

That’s an interesting word you created. Abyssmal. Like an abyss, I assume.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/abyss/images/wallpaper/abyss_large.jpg

WhateverNov 20, 2007 at 12:35 am

A.C. SlaterNov 19, 2007 at 12:06 pm

Service in Fresno is abyssmal wherever you go.

A.C. SlaterNov 19, 2007 at 7:06 pm

WhateverNov 19, 2007 at 10:10 am

Whoa I didn’t know about karaoke night.

Fajita Fiesta is good but not consistent. And sometimes the service is awful. Casa Corona on Cedar and Herndon has better food at a better price. Only problem is that it’s always packed.

WhateverNov 19, 2007 at 5:10 pm

Whoa I didn’t know about karaoke night.