Exorcising some of the demons

Sometimes you just have those memories that can̢۪t be erased.

It̢۪s like a bad movie running in your mind over and over again. No matter what you do, you can̢۪t stop thinking about it.

This is what the Fresno State football team had to live with for a year.

After last season̢۪s 12-13 loss at Utah State, the Bulldogs had reached a new low point.

In their last 20 games, the Utah State Aggies have had one win.

That lone victory came against Fresno State last season, when the Aggies made a fourth quarter, last-minute touchdown pass to pull off the upset.

After that loss, Pat Hill made his players sit in the locker room and listen to Utah State celebrate.

The players had to listen to Utah State degrade the Fresno State players, coaches and program.

With Saturday̢۪s victory, the Bulldogs exorcised those demons.

After their first two possessions in the first quarter, the Bulldogs had surpassed their point total from a year ago, jumping ahead 14-0 and not relinquishing the lead for the entire game en route to a 38-27 victory.

“It was big to come back out here against Utah State,â€Â running back Clifton Smith said. “I told them I hope they had a good, long year to enjoy that win because it was going to end today.â€Â

Now that the Bulldogs have trounced the Aggies, they will head to the Aloha State to take on the No. 16 Hawaii Warriors. Last season, the Warriors absolutely crushed the Bulldogs with a score of 68-37.

“Last year [Hawaii] struck from all over the field,â€Â Hill said. “We weren’t even in that ballgame last year.â€Â

The Warriors̢۪ offense hasn̢۪t slowed down at all, by the way. Quarterback Colt Brennan needs only three touchdowns against the Bulldogs to break the NCAA passing touchdown record held by former BYU star Ty Detmer.

If you haven̢۪t watched Brennan play this season, then you̢۪re missing out. Watching him throw the ball is like watching someone play a video game. Brennan throws the ball wherever he wants, whenever he wants to.

This will be the Fresno State secondary̢۪s largest task of the season. Besides Brennan, Hawaii has four legitimate wide receivers that can take one to the house at any time. Each of them is in the top 10 in the conference in receiving.

“We’re just gonna treat [Hawaii] like any other team we prepare for,â€Â linebacker Ben Jacobs said. “[Hawaii] will try and stretch us out, but we just need to trust each other that we’re gonna do our job.â€Â

This week could prove to be quite the shell-shock for the Bulldogs, who will go from playing the Western Athletic Conference̢۪s (WAC) worst offense, to competing against the most-prolific.

If Fresno State can defeat Hawaii, they will be right in the thick of a conference title hunt and would most likely secure its bowl berth.

Now that̢۪s a memory I think the Bulldogs will want running through their minds for some time.

Looking Ahead…
Hawaii Warriors (8-0, 5-0 WAC)
Saturday, 8 p.m. at Aloha Stadium

Looking to do their best “Boise State” impression, the Hawaii Warriors are knocking on the doors of the BCS. The Bulldogs will face the task of stopping Heisman candidate Colt Brennan.

By the Numbers…

FS

USU

Total Yards

386

369

Rushing Yards

255

155

Passing Yards

131

214

Penalties

8-88

6-44

Third-Down

7 of 11

5 of 14

Possession Time

31:22

28:38

Collegian Players of Game

Offense:
̢ۢ Ryan Mathews РRushed for 106 yards and two touchdowns, but left the game with an ankle sprain.

Defense:
̢ۢ Marcus Riley РLed the Bulldogs with 14 total tackles and 2 sacks.

Special Teams:
̢ۢ Clint Stitser РKicked a career-long, 52-yard field goal.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Salvador GholleyNov 7, 2007 at 11:25 am

Brennan is a mediocre QB—–But if Hawaii beats us, I want to see them go all the way——-yes, their fan base is arrogant, ethnocentric, and moronic, but the WAC needs another team in a big BCS bowl game. An undefeated Hawaii in 2007 is far more deserving of a Sugar Bowl berth than a two-loss Notre Dame was in 2006.
    Also, want to see the Dogs in the Hawaii Bowl so I don’t have to feel guilty for not attending a mainland game in Albequerque or Fort Worth.

Salvador GholleyNov 7, 2007 at 6:25 pm

• T

TacoNoodleDinnerNov 5, 2007 at 10:31 am

If Fresno can do to Hawaii’s quarterback what the NY Giants did to Joe Montana, they could pull off a big win. Press, press, press…crush the quarterback. Cornerbacks come up on the line and stick the receivers before they can get out of the box. Linebackers…CRUSH the quarterback. Seriously.

• T

TacoNoodleDinnerNov 5, 2007 at 5:31 pm