Campus Speak

How has your diet changed since coming to college? Have you seen a difference in your weight?

“When I was in high school and at home, I did eat a little bit healthier than I do now. It’s more fast food and I eat at different hours—it’s not the same hours all the time. If I’m studying for an exam, I may study all day and skip a meal or two.â€Â

Javier Nicholas
Business Marketing
Freshman

“You come in and you eat in the cafeteria, and it’s pretty much a buffet. You eat as much as you can. Every day you come here, you eat as much you want. I gained weight, but then I took an aerobics class and worked it off.â€Â

Lenny Diaz
Physical Therapy
Sophomore

“Last year I lived in the dorms and ate in the RDH most of the time. I pretty much ate their fried chicken most of the time. I ate more fatty foods than I did at home. With a lot of my friends, I’ve seen a lot of people gain weight.â€Â

Daniel Gonzalez
Physics
Sophomore

“I almost gained the ‘Freshman 15,’ but it was mostly because of the dorm food. All they serve is fried, greasy food. Other than the salad bar and sandwiches, they don’t have any healthier foods. This year, I’ve been able to go to the gym, so I’ve lost all the weight that I gained last year.â€Â

Amber Hall
Animal Science
Freshman

“If you sit there and stuff yourself because you’re bored or whatever, then I guess that’s how you gain that 15 pounds. I try not to eat as much as I can and I try to go to the gym when I can. It’s basically a myth — you decide whether you want to force yourself to eat a lot or you don’t want to eat as much.â€Â

Derwoyne Redmond
Mass Communication and Journalism
Freshman

“Coming here, I thought I was going to gain 15 pounds, but unfortunately, I’ve lost that 15 pounds. I don’t know what to say — I eat a lot, but it just hasn’t come to me.â€Â

Kristina Jacquet
Undeclared
Freshman

“I probably gained weight more when I turned 21 and was starting to drink more. I was on the golf team at Fresno City, and so stayed active doing that. After I gave that up, yeah, there was a little weight gain.â€Â

Russell Barnett
History
Junior