Bulldog hoopsters gearing up for 07-08

Andrew Riggs / The Collegian

With tip-off right around the corner, the men̢۪s basketball team is working hard and building off of last year̢۪s 22-10 record and its first postseason appearance in five years.

To kick off the season, the Bulldogs will host exhibition games against Western Washington on Nov. 4 and Fresno Pacific on Nov. 6.

“I’m excited to get the season underway,â€Â third-year coach Steve Cleveland said. “We have a lot of talent and some new faces this year.â€Â

With the departure of last season̢۪s two top leading scorers, Dominic Maguire and Quinton Hosley, the Bulldogs will rely on transfers Bryan Harvey and Rekalin Sims to make an impact.

Harvey transferred from the University of Louisville, and Sims will join the team from the University of Kentucky — both powerhouse programs in college basketball.

Harvey and Sims both sat out last year due to the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) rule for transfers.

The rule states that college athletes must sit out a year after transferring.

“It was hard sitting out last year,â€Â Sims said. “I’m ready to help the team and would love to end up in the NCAA tournament.â€Â

The Bulldogs nearly made the NCAA Tournament field of 64, but instead received a bid to the National Invitation Tournament (NIT).

The 2006-2007 postseason ended with a loss to the University of Georgia Bulldogs in the NIT first round.

Three senior starters return from last year to help lead the Bulldogs to the postseason.

Those seniors are forward Hector Hernandez, point guard Kevin Bell, who led the conference in assists the last two years and shooting guard Eddie Miller, who led the Bulldogs with 87 three-point field goals last season.

Other returning seniors are forwards Shawn Taylor and Alex Blair, both of whom played a big role for the team last season.

Junior guard Dwight O̢۪Neal, who redshirted last year, returns as well.

“We had some success last year and hope to continue to move forward,â€Â Cleveland said. “It should be an exciting year for the fans.â€Â

$100
$500

$100
$500

Dunt BeawankaNov 4, 2007 at 10:30 pm

Rather lame home schedule. Prebyterian, St. Mary’s, Fresno Pacific, Montana State, and CSU Monterey? The Sea Otters of CS Monterey? We’re traveling to CSU Bakersfield? What if we slip up in a game like that? Bad implications for playoff seeding. We couldn’t get an Oregon State, Utah, Alabama-Birmingham, or North Texas to travel to the 559?

Dunt BeawankaNov 5, 2007 at 5:30 am