An unconventional addiction

After reading this, please don̢۪t judge me. Following months of lying and deception, I feel like I need to get this secret off my chest.

I have a subscription to “US Weekly.â€Â I’m not proud of it, but I can no longer hide my gossip magazine behind my schoolbook.

My embarrassing social devotion goes beyond flipping through the “trashyâ€Â magazines as I wait in line at the grocery store. It has almost grown into an obsession.

Am I addicted? I̢۪m scared to say.

Thank God I don’t wake up in the morning and pop a “Peopleâ€Â to get my day started. And when I’m having problems in a relationship, I don’t turn to “In Touchâ€Â to drown my sorrows. So for now, I think I am in the clear.

Some people have MySpace and Facebook. I devote my online time to Perez Hilton.

What does it say about our society when two years ago a nobody by the name of Mario Lavandeira can change his name to a play on a famous heiresses̢۪ name, and skyrocket to fame by blogging about everything Hollywood. Are we pathetic? Am I?

I might be, but at least I am woman enough to admit it. People who have cable television might have noticed channel 28 for the Fresno area. E! delivers everything pop culture, from celebrity news to the E! True Hollywood Story. Yes people, this is serious journalism.

The station even has a nightly news segment. Instead of the week̢۪s weather forecast, Ryan Seacrest delivers whether or not Eva Longoria is pregnant.

Do I care that Britney got her visitation rights back to see her children?

I kind of do.

I̢۪m not a bad person, just curious. It didn̢۪t keep me up at night, but it did keep me checking the gossip sites.

Heck, I remember when Britney was spotted dining in Clovis. It was exciting, you intellectuals know it. Although her talent is questionable, she did used to captivate millions. She was America̢۪s sweetheart for a time; now she has turned into a train wreck, and I can̢۪t help but rubber neck.

Some people can argue that I could be doing a lot better things with my time, and money for that matter. How about you don̢۪t check your MySpace for once and I won̢۪t read the gossip columns for a day?

Didn̢۪t think so.

Like the belligerent one in the room, I too can be the life of the party with my vast knowledge of everything pop culture. Six-degrees of Kevin Bacon anyone?

Interest in people̢۪s lives now goes beyond magazines and television shows. Recently, VH1 hosted the 2nd annual World Series of Pop Culture. I am not alone in my problem.

Maybe my pseudo-addiction really isn̢۪t a problem at all. Of course it isn̢۪t as serious as an alcohol, drug or tobacco problem, but for some people it might just be.

Where is my Betty Ford clinic? My patch to put on my arm? I don̢۪t get a 12-step program for Gossip Anonymous.

In no way am I making light of these addictions, but the next time you see me checking Perez Hilton, please don̢۪t make the faces and point your nose to the sky.

I saw you checking your comments five minutes ago.

$100
$500

$100
$500

WhateverNov 27, 2007 at 10:50 am

Yeah but not everyone uses MySpace for gossip. It isn’t called GossipSpace. It’s like a phone, you can talk about whatever you want with it.

I’m not sure I understand your point of social do’s and don’ts coming from celebrity gossip, though.

WhateverNov 27, 2007 at 5:50 pm

Al BNov 26, 2007 at 3:33 pm

I disagree, Whatever, I think she is drawing a parallel between keeping up with the “drama” in celebrities lives vs. the local myspace “drama.” It is natural to be preoccupied with what is going on in others lives. It just manifests in different ways. In a way celebrity drama serves as a social do’s and don’t guide for people.

Al BNov 26, 2007 at 10:33 pm

WhateverNov 26, 2007 at 11:17 am

I don’t care what you do with your time, but your defense is weak.

What does MySpace have to do with celebrity gossip obsession? At least with MySpace you’re talking to people you know and care about.

Why do you feel the need to defend yourself anyway?

This column summarized: people look down on you for your guilty pleasures. You counter by saying MySpace is stupid.

What’s the point?

WhateverNov 26, 2007 at 6:17 pm

What’s the point?