After Halloween, some still celebrate the dead

Hector Serda (above) helped put up the altars and the overhanging arch in celebration of Dia de los Muertos, or Day of the Dead. This holiday, in which the deceased are remembered, is observed Nov. 1 and 2 by indigenous peoples of Latin America. Serda, from MECHA, First Nations and Trabajadores de la Raza, stayed overnight watching the altars. The photos below feature various altars, with an emphasis on symbolic items like skeletons and flowers. The festival-style event in the Free Speech Area started yesterday and continues through today.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Dee RodriguezNov 29, 2007 at 3:15 pm

Well gee…all that rant sounded pretty hateful to me and quid pro quo as long as people like Mr. Powers continue to spew hate and racist comments toward these community stewards then, yes MEChA will continue to thrive to combat these ignorant and misinformed notions. So thank you Mr. Powers, because if it wasn’t for people like you, then MEChA would not exist. =) Keep up the good work of sitting on your duff and ranting your trash while the world continues to EVOLVE around you. Kudos Sammy Boy! =)

Dee RodriguezNov 29, 2007 at 10:15 pm

• X

Xango VulviisNov 2, 2007 at 4:41 pm

They aren’t “seditious”, they’re subversive, smarty.

• X

Xango VulviisNov 2, 2007 at 11:41 pm

Samuel PowersNov 2, 2007 at 11:22 am

Screw MECHA. That seditious hate group shouldn’t be given student club status on this great campus. No—California is NOT going to be overthrown and NO indigenous people will NOT enslave the white population of the southwest. The quid pro quo thing isn’t going to be bought by reasonable people. But giving this hate group a platform makes people think that MECHA’s argument for reconquista is legit. But hey, I guess if you join MECHA you can be LA’s mayorno or the Lt. Gov. of California.

Samuel PowersNov 2, 2007 at 6:22 pm