Accused grade hackers: two indicted

Two former Fresno State students were indicted by a federal grand jury in connection with hacking into the university’s computer system and changing their grades in the spring 2005 semester, according to an e-mail sent to university faculty and staff on Oct. 31.

A small number of students were found to have made unauthorized changes to their own grades and the grades of a few other students, according to Provost and Vice President of Student Affairs Jeronima Echeverria, who wrote the e-mail. The students accused of making the grade changes were employees, and are believed to have abused knowledge about the university’s computer systems they gained through their work assignments. Between March and September 2005, the university responded by devoting about 800 hours in investigative and audit efforts, according to the memorandum.

Two of the former students, John Escalera, 29, of Fresno and Gustavo Razo Jr., 28, of Pasadena, have been indicted for their actions. According to a statement by the U.S. Attorney’s Office, Escalera worked for the university, changing his grades and the grades of his friend, Razo, who paid Escalera.

The audit recommended several improved controls while assuring and that all of the affected grades were changed back to the original grade, Echeverria wrote.

All students involved were given due process through the university̢۪s judicial affairs procedures. Each received disciplinary sanctions based on the evidence and the extent of their participation. Their offenses ranged from accepting the grade change to abusing their access by making the inappropriate changes. The university sanctions included expulsions, suspensions and loss of diploma.

Because some of the participants were found to have engaged in potential criminal violations, the discovery was referred to the Federal Bureau of Investigation and subsequently to the U.S. Attorney’s Office for prosecution. Until the criminal investigation was completed, the university was asked not to inform the academic community.

According to the memorandum, the “improved controls” recommended by the audit were as follows:

1. Requiring the registrar to periodically review a report of all non-routine grade changes, and increase the review of grade changes processed on a daily basis.

2. Requiring Admissions, Records & Evaluations (ARE) and Campus Information Systems (CIS) to conduct periodic reviews of their records and terminate access to grade change and enrollment information by employees whose daily job duties do not require such access.

3. Developing a methodology for periodic reviews of security logs to test whether changes in access are based on valid, properly authorized requests.

4. Refining and upgrading system security, as recommended by ITS and CIS.

5. Developing an automated routine to notify faculty by email when a grade change has been posted to a student̢۪s transcript.

6. Reissuing a strengthened grade correction form and requiring that the forms be securely stored.

7. Requiring staff members who have delegated registrar functions to sign a formal statement of understanding that acknowledges their special responsibilities and their receipt of training with respect to their delegated powers.

$100
$500

$100
$500

DEBBY DOWDENMar 24, 2016 at 2:35 pm

Do you need a licenced hacker for hire? i was helped by a hacker to check if my boyfriend was cheating ,
    i visited their website http://www.ihacc4u.com and his email and facebook where hacked in about 24 hours ,
    i was indeed pleased ,

They can help change your grades, clear criminal records,

access email accounts, social networks and hack mobile phones.
    you can contact them: [email protected]
    :+1 305 501 8462

DanielApr 8, 2015 at 8:33 pm

Hello guys, I am Daniel. thewhitehathacker112@gmail is the best hacker out there. He would perform wonders for you. Tell him Daniel sent you because you are going to need a reference.

Ben HackingNov 9, 2007 at 10:37 pm

Foobar and gm should meet for tea and crumpets. 🙂

Ben HackingNov 10, 2007 at 5:37 am

• G

gmNov 9, 2007 at 10:39 am

Foobar,

First, it is a blog and there is no need to apologize for the grammatical errors we all commit while engaging in this type of discussion. No I don’t have any inside information on this case or a relationship with any of the parties involved and yes, I was trying to goad you, not to reveal information directly, but your motivation for trying to distract from the issue at hand. Your comment about “which is it, expulsions, suspensions or loss of diploma,” was pretty transparent.
    I do not suffer from naivete regarding our political and judicial systems as there is ample evidence that, as you suggest, everything is not always done by the book ( I guess I’m not the only one using cliches). I simply stated that I didn’t find the argument that the indictment was handed down now in an effort to distract from the Johnson-Klein case a very compelling one. Disagreeing with you may make me wrong, but it does not mean I’m naive. Furthermore, I was pointing out that such arguments had little to do with guilt or innocence and questioned (and still do)your motivation for making them. I somehow don’t believe it was part of a civics lesson for the benefit of us all.
    Finally, you were very careful to not actually answer my question “Would their actions somehow be less acceptable to you if they were C students…” I’m sure the Federal Sentencing Guidelines take into consideration such issues, but I asked you a fundamental moral question. Does it make a difference to YOU? Are you making an ethical argument (not a legal one) that these grown men are less culpable because they have a bright future? Perhaps one of the challenges facing our legal system and society is that too often those amongst us with the most, by virtue of natural gifts, socio-economic status or connections, are held less accountable than others. Thanks for the discussion and best of luck with the case.

• G

gmNov 9, 2007 at 5:39 pm

Foobar,

• F

FoobarNov 8, 2007 at 6:53 pm

And sorry for the grammatical errors, I was pondering another case while authoring this response.

• F

FoobarNov 9, 2007 at 1:53 am

• F

FoobarNov 8, 2007 at 6:51 pm

I know plenty about it, though I never made any indication of the defendants’ guilt or innocent. But since you seem to know just as much, if not more, then please tell me exactly when the case file was handed over to the State Attorney’s office to begin prosecution? I did not make these statements to imply that, to use your cliché, that the trial judge/prosecutor are in the “hip pocket” of the university, only that the sequence of events that has transpired has, again, served to the advantage of ALL parties involved. It’s a naive view of the justice system to believe that everything is done by the books in all cases (this sounds like a bad thing but that’s often not the case). However, as it is obvious that you are attempting to goad me into divulging information not fit for a blog I will need to retire from this arena. I simply meant to put a human face on these allegations. You are, however, correct in implying that my comments were influenced by a personal relationship with these men. To that end I will leave you with 3 facts. (1) The opinions from which you had wanted me to “spare” you from will undoubtedly be used in both the trial and sentencing to either help or hurt the defendants (i.e. respect and brilliance, education, etc). (2) “Would their actions somehow be less acceptable to you if they were C students or didn’t land a great job? “ In a sense, yes, from a sentencing standpoint. They may have no need for rehabilitation, having had plenty of time to self-rehabilitate, and the job ensures the ability to pay fines and restitution making them unlikely repeat offenders. (3) A simple search for “Federal Sentencing Guidelinesâ€Â (and a long read) will cause you to rethink your arguments and understand why my comments were made. In closing, thanks for the responses, it’s always better to have people disagree with your views. It helps to see the situation from other angles.

• F

FoobarNov 9, 2007 at 1:51 am

I know plenty about it, though I never made any indication of the defendants’ guilt or innocent. But since you seem to know just as much, if not more, then please tell me exactly when the case file was handed over to the State Attorney’s office to begin prosecution? I did not make these statements to imply that, to use your cliché, that the trial judge/prosecutor are in the “hip pocket” of the university, only that the sequence of events that has transpired has, again, served to the advantage of ALL parties involved. It’s a naive view of the justice system to believe that everything is done by the books in all cases (this sounds like a bad thing but that’s often not the case). However, as it is obvious that you are attempting to goad me into divulging information not fit for a blog I will need to retire from this arena. I simply meant to put a human face on these allegations. You are, however, correct in implying that my comments were influenced by a personal relationship with these men. To that end I will leave you with 3 facts. (1) The opinions from which you had wanted me to “spare” you from will undoubtedly be used in both the trial and sentencing to either help or hurt the defendants (i.e. respect and brilliance, education, etc). (2) “Would their actions somehow be less acceptable to you if they were C students or didn’t land a great job? “ In a sense, yes, from a sentencing standpoint. They may have no need for rehabilitation, having had plenty of time to self-rehabilitate, and the job ensures the ability to pay fines and restitution making them unlikely repeat offenders. (3) A simple search for “Federal Sentencing Guidelines” (and a long read) will cause you to rethink your arguments and understand why my comments were made. In closing, thanks for the responses, it’s always better to have people disagree with your views. It helps to see the situation from other angles.

• G

gmNov 8, 2007 at 4:33 pm

Foobar,

The phrase suspensions, expulsions and loss of diploma came not only from the article but also the press release from provost Jeri Echeverria, which I suspect you already know. The release also stated there were other students involved, hence multiple forms of punishment handed down.
    As to your question whether the Federal Prosecutor would act in favor of the University, I don’t need to consider what wonderful human beings these 2 men are to answer, thank you. My answer in this case would be no. I don’t believe a Federal Grand Jury, the judge and the prosecutor sat on this case for 2 years and then decided to hand down an indictment right now because the university is in the midst of an embarrasing civil court case. Such a stance stretches the limits of credulity and stands in stark contrast to your later statements praising the trial judge and prosecutor who, presumably, you don’t believe are in the hip pocket of the university.
    You write about how well respected and brilliant these men are and state mysteriously that the public may never know the actions taken by all the parties involved. Do you know something Foobar? Perhaps you need to come forward with your information and clear the unfairly sullied names of these great Americans. The University told them it was ok to change the grades and make a little cash on the side and now they are blaming these students because…..
    You seem to be making a deliberate effort to do that which you accused the university of. Distract from the fundamental issue of guilt or innocence. If you are saying they did not do this, then come out and say just that. Don’t throw up a smokescreen that hints at collusion between the university and our federal court system. And don’t try to mitigate their actions because they are so brilliant and have bright futures. Would their actions somehow be less acceptable to you if they were C students or didn’t land a great job? Contrary to your implication, being well respected and highly intelligent does not equate to being ethical and moral as even a slight perusal of history and current events will reveal.
    Do I believe that these men are unredeemable and should be banished from society for the rest of their lives? Certainly not and if they possess the qualities you write of and are truly remorseful then I wish them the best after a proper punishment. But please spare me the we are all sinners, guilty of some transgression defense and the implication that it really isn’t that big a deal because they are such great guys and have a bright future. That attitude insults the sacrifices made by all the people who try and do things the right way. Excuses and justifications simply encourage this behavior.

• G

gmNov 8, 2007 at 11:33 pm

Foobar,

Benjamin BaxterNov 8, 2007 at 1:31 pm

The Collegian Staff Comment
    Future Squirrel Stuffer

The current article as presented, as the byline reads “Staff Reports,” is the summary of a press release and is attributed as such.

Benjamin BaxterNov 8, 2007 at 8:31 pm

The Collegian Staff Comment
    Future Squirrel Stuffer

James TaylorNov 8, 2007 at 1:13 pm

The whole record-keeping process in the UC, CSU, and CA junior college systems is a joke. People can enroll without submitting social sec. numbers or birth certificates, etc. I’m sure many degrees are awarded to people who are using unofficial names, names of dead relatives, and other questionable practices. A standardized system of record keeping and grade evaluation is needed. The taxpayers of Cali. are being cheated by the lack of oversight and responsibility.

James TaylorNov 8, 2007 at 8:13 pm

• T

T-PayneNov 8, 2007 at 12:52 pm

Hey Foobar I know one of these guys too. Wicked-smart and pretty much one of the most trust-worthy people I know. Got himself into a bad spot, made a really bad choice a long time ago, it was 2004 not 2005 like the article says, and just wants to have his punishment so he can move on. Cool guy, you’d all like him, always there for me when I need him.

• T

T-PayneNov 8, 2007 at 7:52 pm

• F

FoobarNov 8, 2007 at 12:34 pm

Well which is it? Expulsions, suspensions or loss of diploma handed down? Seems to be a quote copied from somewhere with no backing, though I’m not saying there was no university action. Why would they be suspended AND expelled (I’m being facetious of course so please don’t get angry)? You don’t believe that the Federal Prosecutor would act in favor of the University (spoken by one with a legal background)? The system is about doing what’s best for all parties involved and closing the matter as quickly and discreetly as possible. To that respect they are doing an excellent job. Before you answer, I know both of these men (both are well respected in their fields and are not the flunkies they are made out to be, did someone say N.A.S.A.?) and the actual events of this case on the part of the defendants, the university, and the federal prosecutor may never be known to the public. Rest assured that the State Attorney has responded appropriately and that the Judge will eventually sentence appropriately based on the circumstances of this particular case. Please don’t be so quick to judge based on media hype. If they were the only persons at the university (or in society in general) with a little dirt on their hands I’d be shocked. Anyone ever download a song? If convicted the fines could reach into the millions and the headline would read, “Piracy ring thwarted, mastermind facing 20 years jail time”. Is it ok and should it go without punishment? Absolutely not. Fortunately we have a great legal system where all sides will be heard, both the prosecutor and trial judge are intelligent individuals with a strong desire to see this handled fairly and in the best interest of all parties, and the punishment will be such that everyone is satisfied. With time (and a little luck) this whole ordeal will be just a blemish on the otherwise brilliant careers of these young men who, trust me on this, will have little trouble moving on to bigger and better things.

• F

FoobarNov 8, 2007 at 7:34 pm

Jonnie QueeferNov 8, 2007 at 11:17 am

GM has a point. This really is a wholly different matter than SJK and the Athletic Dept. The university is not using this as a distraction. The system is too complex for smoke and mirrors interdepartmentally. And please no apologists……….catching people do things like this ADDS WORTH TO YOUR DEGREE

Jonnie QueeferNov 8, 2007 at 6:17 pm

• G

gmNov 8, 2007 at 9:56 am

While I think there are plenty of things to criticize the University about, I find Foobar’s inuendos less than convincing. This was an indictment handed down by a FEDERAL GRAND JURY. The University certainly had to respond publicly to the release of the indictment and I’m sure you are not suggesting that Fresno State is in control of a federal grand jury and its judge.
    It is also important to distinguish between these indictments and the university judicial system. While as Ben Hacking says, they are “innocent until proven guilty” in the former, they have already been found guilty in the latter, with expulsions, suspensions and loss of diploma handed down.
    Finally, I have grown so tired of the excuses made for criminal and unethical behavior by people like Ben Hacking. “How desperate have you been for money and good grades?” is a perfect reflection of how our society, from top to bottom, has come to blur the line between right and wrong as we devolve into post-modern anarchy where everything is relative. My answer to your question is that I’ve been desperate enough to work 3 jobs; desperate enough to leave school for several years; desperate enough to spend what little free time I had studying and going without sleep. Whether these individuals were struggling students or simply opportunists who saw a chance to take advantage of a lack of oversight, what they did was flat wrong and a slap in the face to all of the students who make the sacrifices to go to school and get the best grades they can.

• G

gmNov 8, 2007 at 4:56 pm

• F

FoobarNov 7, 2007 at 7:19 pm

As is always the case, the actual details of the allegations will differ from what was released on the indictment and what is reported by the media. The phrase “routine grade audit”, mentioned by other media outlets, seems a little suspect to me. Luckily the university had plenty of time to perfect their version of this story (a few years). The timing of this, simultaneous to the Stacy-Johnson Klein fiasco, is interesting as well.

• F

FoobarNov 8, 2007 at 2:19 am

• T

Twat's Happening!?Nov 7, 2007 at 3:18 pm

well—–if indictments were given, something is up and some proof of wrongdoing exists.

• T

Twat's Happening!?Nov 7, 2007 at 10:18 pm

Ben HackingNov 7, 2007 at 2:26 pm

As far as I know those students are innocent until proven guilty. Perhaps the IT department should take notes from these students. Assuming it’s all true. It wasn’t in good character but who knows what the circumstances were. How deperate have you been for money & good grades? You probably wouldn’t know how to cheat the system if you wanted to. Whatever the case may be..justice will be served.

Ben HackingNov 7, 2007 at 9:26 pm

AkshNov 5, 2007 at 12:56 pm

Good Work, Fresno State ITS department and whoever helped catch them.

AkshNov 5, 2007 at 7:56 pm

• H

Huell HouserNov 2, 2007 at 2:11 pm

Wow! You mean they were caught? That’s amazing!

• H

Huell HouserNov 2, 2007 at 9:11 pm

• G

Gordon RamsayNov 2, 2007 at 2:06 pm

Oh, bloody hell!…..f%#$ me!

• G

Gordon RamsayNov 2, 2007 at 9:06 pm

Oh, bloody hell!…..f%#$ me!

• Z

Zack MorrisNov 1, 2007 at 11:39 pm

Astrophysics: A
    Differential equations: A
    Biochemistry: A
    Constitutional Law: A
    Russian: A
    Aboriginal History: A

• Z

Zack MorrisNov 2, 2007 at 6:39 am

Astrophysics: A
    Differential equations: A
    Biochemistry: A
    Constitutional Law: A
    Russian: A
    Aboriginal History: A

WhateverNov 1, 2007 at 3:56 pm

Dayum

WhateverNov 1, 2007 at 10:56 pm

Dayum

johnsvangNov 1, 2007 at 3:08 pm

sucks to be them.

johnsvangNov 1, 2007 at 10:08 pm

sucks to be them.

Colonel SandersNov 1, 2007 at 2:27 pm

Boooya!

Colonel SandersNov 1, 2007 at 9:27 pm

Boooya!