Worthless human beings

What̢۪s the deal with cheating these days?

I was in Dr. Rosy’s class the other day, and he told us that he turned our papers into Turnitin, the online cheater-busting database. He hadn’t told us that he was going to turn in our work to Turnitin until now, two weeks since the assignment had been due.

He told us that among his 60 students between two classes, at least seven or eight had significant amounts of plagiarism in their opinion papers.

He didn̢۪t tell us who they were.

“I don’t have to tell them. They know who cheated,â€Â he said. “They know I know, and that’s even worse.â€Â

These papers weren̢۪t even that hard. These papers were opinion papers. They detail your opinion. It takes all of half an hour to write 400 words, depending how slow you type. I̢۪ve had practice and could probably do a first draft in all of 20 minutes, if I really had to.

This is even worse.

Dr. Rosy told us his best defense against plagiarism, and I̢۪ll even expand it: I don̢۪t want doctors who cheat through medical school, and I don̢۪t want civil engineers who fake it on a physics test.

If you cheat, you have poor character. You are a worthless human being. Accept the C you get from honest work and move on.

If you can̢۪t get a C in honest work, then you̢۪re not trying hard enough. Today̢۪s grade inflation makes it virtually impossible not to get at least a C or B in the subjective classes.

I have it on good authority that there are several professors who give out test answers the preceding class period.

If you just have to cheat, go find a career in politics, business or professional sports. I have no sympathy for you when your cutthroat behavior brings you success in those high-salaried, well-admired fields.

****

In other news: someone needs a Chappaquiddick; heaven forbid we do the right thing; and heaven forbid we do the right thing.

$100
$500

$100
$500

bradOct 1, 2011 at 7:33 pm

worthless human being? anyone who says something that outrageous about something like cheating may need to reevalluate their own ideas about human worth, particularly self worth.

Casey OgdenOct 22, 2007 at 10:42 am

Its unfortunate that students resort to cheating. I agree with the professor… I definitely wouldn’t want some doctor to half-ass his way through his profession build himself upon others just to get his high earning salary…. kinda makes you think twice of the credibility of your very own doctor.

Only the strong will lead America. If you truly want to be apart of that DON’T CHEAT! it hurts everybody in the end! If you can’t handle doing your own work, then what would be the point of your existence? I don’t think i have heard of anybody become famous because they cheated on someone else’s work. If you want to make a difference become original and don’t feed off of what other people’s masterpieces.

Now there is nothing wrong with using someone else’s work as a foundation for your creation. BUT it is wrong if you don’t correctly acknowledge the credit of the peer that gave your own success.

Casey OgdenOct 22, 2007 at 5:42 pm

Benjamin BaxterOct 17, 2007 at 12:14 pm

The Collegian Staff Comment

Turnitin doesn’t really use the essays or papers as intellectual property, so I’m okay with it. Realistically, it’s not like people are actually doing anything worthwhile with their freshman-year term papers.

Benjamin BaxterOct 17, 2007 at 7:14 pm

The Collegian Staff Comment

• R

Ralph MacchioOct 17, 2007 at 11:08 am

This professor should be rewarded for adding value to the degrees than come from his department. Too many educators are slow to confront students about academic dishonesty. I also love professors who have no tolerance for cell phones in the classroom. The problem with Turnitin is that students have to submit ideas and writings where they lose control of their own creation.

• R

Ralph MacchioOct 17, 2007 at 6:08 pm

jimOct 17, 2007 at 7:54 am

People cheat all the time. Especially in the engineering department.

jimOct 17, 2007 at 2:54 pm