Wizard of Paws

Watch out Edwards Cinema — the hottest ticket in town might as well be labeled as this Friday’s match-up between Fresno State and the Boise State Broncos.

The stars have aligned for these two teams to be in this situation. Both are undefeated in the conference, playing on a national stage on ESPN on a Friday night.

What more could Fresno State ask for?

How about a win?

The Broncos have won 42 of their past 43 conference games. The last time the Broncos visited Fresno was the last time they lost a conference game.

“Boise State is a good football team they are coming in 6-1 and we’ll be 5-2,â€Â coach Pat Hill said. “It will be great for our community, our university and great for all the people that follow Fresno State football.â€Â

This Friday is an opportunity for many nationally unknown Bulldogs to put on a display. This includes Mackey Award candidate Bear Pascoe. He has garnered much attention as one of the nation̢۪s best tight ends but isn̢۪t affected by playing in front of a national audience.

“You got everybody watching you and that’s about it,â€Â Pascoe said. “You can’t let the lights and glints and glamour get in the way of what you have to do.â€Â

Friday will also mark true freshman Ryan Mathews̢۪ first appearance on national television. Besides being an absolute beast, he is the top scorer among true freshman in the nation.

“I’m just going to go out there. I’m not going to act like [ESPN] is there,â€Â Mathews said. “I’m just going to act like it’s a regular game, and just go out there and have fun with it.â€Â

Mathews will be pitted against Boise State̢۪s stud running back Ian Johnson, arguably the best running back in the conference.

“We’re just going to take [Johnson] as another running back that we play and we’re just going to find the best game plan possible to stop him,â€Â linebacker Ben Jacobs said.

The consensus among of the Bulldogs is to ignore the cameras and concentrate on playing the game, but you can bet the fans will have other ideas.

Plan on seeing at least the first four rows of the student section garnished in body paint, billboard-sized posters and a sea of black throughout the stadium in honor of the theme “Blackout Boise State.â€Â

“Playing underneath the lights, a nationally televised game and we are showing everybody that the ‘Dogs are back and here to stay,â€Â Pascoe said. “We get a chance to change what happened last year against Boise.â€Â

Now playing: “The Dethroning of the five-time conference champions.â€Â Rating pending.

$100
$500

$100
$500

WILLY BEANOOct 25, 2007 at 4:05 pm

we’ve been saying “our year” since 2001.—-Utah and Boise have gotten their’ze and we’re still playing second fiddle.

WILLY BEANOOct 25, 2007 at 11:05 pm

Archie BunkerOct 24, 2007 at 1:11 pm

“Wizard of Paws?” yikes.

Archie BunkerOct 24, 2007 at 8:11 pm

“Wizard of Paws?” yikes.

• F

FSDogs1Oct 22, 2007 at 4:55 pm

P.S. Ian Johnson is supposedly out with injury for Friday’s game.

• F

FSDogs1Oct 22, 2007 at 11:55 pm

• F

FSDogs1Oct 22, 2007 at 4:54 pm

Did Bear say “glints” or glitz?

I don’t see why national TV would be a big deal to any of the ‘Dogs besides the true freshmen (Mathews) being that they’ve all been televised plenty of times. Even Mathews was on national/regional TV against Texas A&M and Oregon.

TV isn’t a factor.

The real factor is going to be line play…

• F

FSDogs1Oct 22, 2007 at 11:54 pm

Did Bear say “glints” or glitz?

TV isn’t a factor.

Billary W. BushtonOct 22, 2007 at 1:22 pm

This was OUR year—-Boise and Hawaii had very weak schedules. The A&M game deflated the Dogs and Oregon subsequently embarassed us. Wins over the three scheduled (and top-50: KS, Org., AM) BCS opponents as well as Hawaii and Boise would’ve sent us to the Fiesta or Orange. Watch out in 2008. Wins over UCLA and the Wizzcon Badgers coupled with weaker Boise and Hawaii teams should spell a good season for FSU.

Good luck against the Lobos in the New Mexico Bowl.

Billary W. BushtonOct 22, 2007 at 8:22 pm