WAC basketball preseason polls

The Western Athletic Conference (WAC) preseason basketball polls were released Wednesday at the annual WAC Basketball Media Day in Salt Lake City.

The Fresno State men̢۪s team was picked to finish fourth in both the coaches̢۪ and media polls. The women̢۪s team was picked fourth in the coaches̢۪ poll and fifth in the media poll.

Senior point guard Kevin Bell and senior forward Hector Hernandez were named to the preseason All-WAC Second Team, picked by the coaches. Bell was also named to the preseason All-WAC First Team by the media.

On the women̢۪s side, senior guard Tierre Wilson was named to the First Team in both the coaches̢۪ and media poll.

The men̢۪s team received one first-place vote in the coaches̢۪ poll, while the women̢۪s team received a first-place vote in the media poll.

Utah State was picked to finish first in the coaches̢۪ poll, with four first place votes and 58 points. New Mexico State was a close second, with three first place votes and 57 points. The two schools flip-flopped positions in the media poll, with the Aggies getting 13 first place votes and 255 points and Utah State receiving 10 first place votes and 250 points.

Utah State̢۪s Jaycee Carroll was picked as the player of the year in both polls.

The Boise State women̢۪s team was picked to win the WAC in both polls. They received nine first place votes and 128 points in the media poll, and seven first place votes and 63 points in the coaches̢۪ poll.

Jessica Thompson of Boise State was tabbed as the Preseason Player of the Year by the coaches and media.

The Fresno State women̢۪s team officially opens practice Friday evening, and plays its first exhibition game on Nov. 4 against the Melbourne Roos at 2 p.m.

The men open their season on Nov. 4 in an exhibition game against Western Washington. Tip off is set for 4 p.m. at the Save Mart Center.