The Collegian̢۪s Top 25

No.1 LSU (6-0)
Last Week: Beat Florida 28-24
This Week: at Kentucky (5-1)
Tidbit: The Tigers pulled out a close one against the Gators and now find themselves at No. 1 for the first time this season.

No. 2 Ohio State (6-0)
Last Week: Beat Purdue 23-7
This Week: Kent State (3-3)
Tidbit: The Buckeyes̢۪ defense is arguably the best in the country. It held Purdue to a mere 4 yards rushing.

No. 3 California (5-0)
Last Week: Bye
This Week: Oregon State (3-3)
Tidbit: The Bears were idle this week, but are now the team to beat in the Pac-10 with USC̢۪s loss.

No. 4 Boston College (6-0)
Last Week: Beat Bowling Green 55-24
This Week: at Notre Dame (1-5).
Tidbit: Quarterback Matt Ryan keeps beefing up his Heisman resume, but the Eagles̢۪ pass defense ranks 99th in the nation.

No. 5 South Florida (5-0)
Last Week: Beat Florida Atlantic 35-23
This Week: UCF (3-2)
Tidbit: The Bulls turned over the ball four times on Saturday. They will need to improve if they hope to keep an unblemished record.

No. 6 Oklahoma (5-1)
Last Week: Beat Texas 28-21
This Week: Missouri (5-0)
Tidbit: The Sooners bounced back nicely with a close win over Texas in the Red River Shootout. They will need a big win over the Tigers this weekend to stand alone on top of the Big 12.

No. 7 USC (4-1)
Last Week: Lost 23-24 to Stanford
This Week: Arizona (2-4)
Tidbit: Before last weekend, the Trojans hadn̢۪t lost at home in 35 games. Last time it happened was coincidentally at the hands of Stanford.

No. 8 West Virginia (5-1)
Last Week: Beat Syracuse 55-14
This Week: Bye
Tidbit: Solid Big East win over the Orange, but quarterback Pat White̢۪s shoulder injury has people in Morgantown worried.

No. 9 South Carolina (5-1)
Last Week: Beat Kentucky 38-23
This Week: at North Carolina (2-4)
Tidbit: The Gamecocks knocked the Wildcats off of their high horse with a sound victory. South Carolina is now on top of the SEC East Division.

No. 10 Oregon (4-1)
Last Week: Bye
This Week: Washington State (2-4)
Tidbit: The Ducks had the week off, but their loss to Cal is sure to be fresh in their minds. A win over the Cougars this weekend should cure that.

No. 11 Missouri (5-0)
Last Week: Beat Nebraska 41-6
This Week: at Oklahoma (5-1)
Tidbit: A pummeling of the Cornhuskers was what the Tigers needed to let everyone know that they are a legitimate contender. The big gut-check comes this weekend in Norman.

No. 12 Virginia Tech (5-1)
Last Week: Beat Clemson 41-23
This Week: at Duke (1-5)
Tidbit: The Hokies held the Tiger̢۪s running game to a meager 12 yards rushing. Tech needs to keep pace with Boston College.

No. 13 Florida (4-2)
Last Week: Lost 24-28 at LSU
This Week: Bye
Tidbit: The Gators played well against the Tigers but fell just short. A week off will be good for Florida.

No. 14 Cincinnati (6-0)
Last Week: Beat Rutgers 28-23
This Week: Louisville (3-3)
Tidbit: The Bearcats took it to the Scarlet Knights and thus make the jump of the week, moving up seven spots in the rankings.

No. 15 Arizona State (6-0)
Last Week: Beat Washington State
23-20
This Week: Washington (2-3)
Tidbit: It was a little too close for comfort, but the Sun Devils sealed the victory. ASU̢۪s offense needs to develop consistency to stay competitive in the Pac-10.

No. 16 Hawaii (6-0)
Last Week: Beat Utah State 52-37
This Week: at San Jose State (3-3)
Tidbit: The win was nice, but bad news looms ahead for the Warriors as quarterback Colt Brennan went down with an ankle injury.

No. 17 Kentucky (5-1)
Last Week:Lost 23-38 at South Carolina
This Week: at LSU (6-0)
Tidbit: It doesn̢۪t get any easier for the Wildcats. In the next two weeks they play at LSU and Florida.

No. 18 Illinois (5-1)
Last Week: Beat Wisconsin 31-26
This Week: at Iowa (2-4)
Tidbit: Making their debut in the Top 25 this week is the Fighting Illini. A big upset over Wisconsin really shook things up in the Big Ten standings.

No. 19 Wisconsin (5-1)
Last Week: Lost 26-31 at Illinois
This Week: at Penn State (4-2)
Tidbit: The Badgers make the plummet of the week, falling 14 spots in the rankings. They will need to recover against Penn State to stay competitive in the Big Ten.

No. 20 Kansas (5-0)
Last Week: Beat Kansas State 30-24
This Week: Baylor (3-3)
Tidbit: The Jayhawks break into the rankings this week with a victory over their intrastate rival. Quarterback Todd Reesing had three touchdowns and 280 total yards.

No. 21 Texas (4-2)
Last Week: Lost 21-28 at Oklahoma
This Week: at Iowa State (1-5)
Tidbit: After losing in consecutive weeks to Kansas State and Oklahoma, Texas has its first 0-2 conference start since 1956.

No. 22 Auburn (4-2)
Last Week: Beat Vanderbilt 35-7
This Week: at Arkansas (3-2)
Tidbit: After a brief hiatus, the Tigers are back in the rankings with two consecutive victories. Auburn will need to stay consistent if they hope to stick around for a while.

No. 23 Purdue (5-1)
Last Week: Lost 7-23 to Ohio State
Next Week: at Michigan (4-2)
Tidbit: The Boilermakers ran into a roadblock against the Buckeyes, but could turn it around with a win over the Wolverines.

No. 24 Florida State (4-1)
Last Week: Beat North Carolina State 27-10
This Week: at Wake Forest (3-2)
Tidbit: The Seminoles crack into the Top 25 with a nice victory over the Wolf Pack. FSU has played well after losing its season opener and is looking to climb to the top of the ACC.

No. 25 Georgia (4-2)
Last Week: Lost 14-35 at Tennessee
Next Week: at Vanderbilt (3-2)
Tidbit: The Bulldogs are on the fringe and could be headed out of the rankings soon if things don̢۪t change in a hurry.

Honorable Mentions:

Tennessee (3-2)
The Volunteers upset Georgia last weekend and could find themselves back in the Top 25 with another win.

Texas A&M (5-1)
The Aggies have put together a two-game winning streak after losing to Miami three weeks ago. A&M is still a prominent force in the Big 12.

Texas Tech (5-1)
The Red Raiders face Texas A&M this Saturday in a Big 12 Conference showdown. Tech’s high-power offense needs to keep up the huge numbers if they hope to crack into the Top 25.