Take Back the Night targets violence

At the young age of 18, Fresno State student Shera Rodrick is coordinating this year̢۪s Take Back the Night, an event associated with the Women̢۪s Alliance Program and the Women̢۪s Resource Center.

Take Back the Night, on Oct. 24 in the campus Free Speech Area, raises awareness of domestic violence, sexual violence and violence toward children.

“I picked the theme: Still I Rise,â€Â Rodrick said. “You can have all these things that put you down, but still you can come back and be strong to overcome it.â€Â

Starting at 5 p.m., Take Back the Night features speakers, music, information tables, a candlelight vigil, a march and an open microphone to share feelings, concerns or survivor experiences.

Rodrick started working at the Women̢۪s Resource Center right before the semester started; the project was assigned to her then.

“I never heard of the event before,â€Â Rodrick said. “It was all new to me. Starting out with this assignment means a lot to me. Now that the day is coming closer, I am exited about it.â€Â

Rodrick opted to advertise the event through flyers, but she also posted an invitation through the Bulldog Connection. Every year, Fresno State students and non-students attend the event and volunteer to help out that day.

Many students, especially those who have women studies courses, are given extra credit for attending the event. In fact, Rodrick said the event is for everyone, not just women.

“Our sorority adopted the fight against domestic violence as our official national philanthropy, and we attend Take Back the Night to support the cause,â€Â Fresno State student Lupe Martinez said.

Martinez, 23, is a member of Sigma Alpha Zeta sorority who volunteers for the Women̢۪s Resource Center̢۪s events. The members of Sigma Alpha Zeta have also established an official domestic violence awareness week at Fresno State that will be held the week following Take Back the Night.

“Starting Saturday, Oct. 27 we will have a basketball tournament for organizations to participate and help us raise funds to donate to our philanthropy, the Marjaree Mason Center,â€Â Martinez said.

At Take Back the Night, Martinez and her sorority sisters will place white bags with written messages on them around the grass area. As soon as the event is about to start, they light a candle and place it inside the bag.

“When the sun sets, the bags illuminate the area where we stand,â€Â Martinez said. “It brings hope for many women who seek to stop violence and for those who have survived.â€Â

Since 1979, when Take Back the Night started, an open microphone is set up after the candlelight march for people who wish to open up and break their silence.

“I think it is a very emotional experience,â€Â Rodrick said. “It makes people aware that it’s not just them. I’m aware that every year there are people who actually speak up.â€Â

This year, the Women̢۪s Resource Center will be giving a survivor medallion to those who break their silence.

“I learn from hearing their experiences, and that makes me aware of the violence that exists,â€Â Martinez said, “and I apply it to my life to prevent myself from being a victim.â€Â

$100
$500

$100
$500

JillOct 26, 2007 at 2:14 pm

I thank the sponsors and organizers for putting together a wonderful event. I thank Toua Vang for the incredible video footage. NIce job! I hope more supporters will turn out next year. And I wish to send out a very special thanks to all suriviors who demonstarted incredible strength when they shared their experiences. Their words moved me to the point of tears. Let’s spread their message of hope.

JillOct 26, 2007 at 9:14 pm

• E

Emmanuel KuntOct 22, 2007 at 4:40 pm

basketball tourney???? To expose the abusers? Yeah, just cram them all in a gym and call the cops.

• E

Emmanuel KuntOct 22, 2007 at 11:40 pm

Salvador GholleyOct 22, 2007 at 1:09 pm

Violence is pervasive in Latin-American/Hispanic marriages and among couples from these backgrounds. Look at the issue of machismo…….maybe this should be a focus?

Salvador GholleyOct 22, 2007 at 8:09 pm