Recognition is due

Kim: Most athletic teams on campus that are not football or basketball get recognition only if they do well. Sometimes, even if the team isn̢۪t on a winning streak, players garner recognition by being the Western Athletic Conference (WAC) player of the week or breaking school records.

A team such as the volleyball team, now 5-19 overall, recently added a name to the record book. Women̢۪s soccer earned WAC honors this week, too.

I think stuff like this is kind of cool, but I wonder, does anybody actually care?

Jim: If they don̢۪t, they should. Student athletes deserve recognition, no matter how popular the sport. The same energy is put into each respective sport as the others.

Think about the workload these students have. Classes, practices, games. A major commitment is needed to succeed in college athletics.

Some may look at football and basketball as major sports, but what about a sport like equestrian? Do you think anybody can just walk off the street and raise a horse? Let alone train the horse to do all the things that are required of it in a competition setting. Now that̢۪s a clutch situation.

Kim: Volleyball is another example. A new record was set by a freshman named Lauren Berger. Berger is a middle blocker and stands 6 feet 2 inches. She has played in all 24 matches this season, and is fourth all-time among freshman at Fresno State in block assists (56) and total blocks (59).

Unless you are a fan or current/former player, that might not mean a whole lot. I played the sport briefly so it means something to me.

It̢۪s pretty interesting that a freshman is breaking records. It̢۪s just too bad the team̢۪s win-loss record doesn̢۪t reflect her successes.

Jim: Staying in the realm of net sports, good things are happening over at the Wathen Tennis Complex, as well. Melanie Gloria and Tinesta Rowe recently won the doubles title at the Northwest Regional Championships in Palo Alto, Calif. They defeated their own teammates for the title. Talk about a win-win situation. Gloria and Rowe are currently ranked No. 11 nationally.

Another name to remember is Grant Doverspike. The sophomore is the defending WAC Men̢۪s Golf Champion. He doesn̢۪t show any signs of slowing down and I would know. He̢۪s my neighbor.

Kim: Another name making waves this week is women̢۪s soccer goalkeeper, Kaity Revel. Also a freshman, Revel made seven saves in two matches last weekend and allowed only one goal. She was named WAC Defensive Player of the Week.

Revel̢۪s teammates Andrea Alires and Amanda Reyes also earned honors earlier this season, which is such a positive thing for the university and those athletes.

And yet the only reason I know about these honors is because of my position here at the paper and my desire to consume my time with nothing but Fresno State athletics.

Am I the only one?

Jim: It’s sad to see, but not many people even know who most of the aforementioned people are. Just because an athlete doesn’t play a “big-threeâ€Â sport, they do not receive much attention.

But what these athletes are doing is making our school well-rounded athletically. The more successful student-athletes we have, the more prestigious our athletic program becomes.

Kim: Well, it may not mean a lot to some, but I tip my hat to those student-athletes who continue with their successes regardless of the lack of support. I̢۪ll continue to appreciate it.

$100
$500

$100
$500

A.C. SlaterOct 31, 2007 at 3:04 pm

M/W’s Track and field CANNOT compete on a national level.

A.C. SlaterOct 31, 2007 at 10:04 pm

• F

FSDogs1Oct 31, 2007 at 1:52 pm

Hey, say what you will about the volleyball team. It’s been at its lowest point ever the past three years since Nieves took over. And I’m not saying he shouldn’t have been hired (maybe he gets one more year?), but other than volleyball, NO Fresno State team is unable to compete on a national level.

• F

FSDogs1Oct 31, 2007 at 8:52 pm

WILLY BEANOOct 31, 2007 at 8:17 am

Sorry for omitting tennis——-other teams need to follow suit and gain the national prescence held by this university’s men’s and women’s tennis teams. It’s not like academics is holding us back.

WILLY BEANOOct 31, 2007 at 3:17 pm

WILLY BEANOOct 31, 2007 at 8:15 am

If these teams showed even a remote sign of success on a national stage the story would be different. Of course football and men’s hoops have the national following and fandom. The men’s soccer team was exciting in large part due to the fact they played in the PAC-10. Thank you Scott Johnson(Kline).
    At least the baseball team plays a tough regional schedule and is nationally competetive.
    The women’s hoops team is making strides in that direction.
    It’s hard to get excited when the volleyball and soccer teams are playing Fresno Pacific and Bakersfield State (and the vollyeball team is losing to them) during the peak of the season.

WILLY BEANOOct 31, 2007 at 3:15 pm