Pull Up Your Pants!

IT WAS A PRESENTATION day in one of my classes last week and instead of seeing a prepared group of students ready to fill my brain with excess information, all I could focus on was one of the guys sitting on the counter top in the lecture hall, with his grey boxers fully visible for the whole world to see, screaming, “Hey, look at me! I don’t know how to wear pants around my waist!â€Â

What really grabbed me was the belt he was wearing. A girl sitting next to me actually turned to me and questioned what it was for. My reply was that he was trying to look as stupid and unattractive as possible.

I get that this disgusting fad has somehow become a staple of skater wear, but we are college students, can̢۪t we dress like it?

It̢۪s not just the men either.

Sadly ladies, we too have had our clashes with underwear displays.

Yes, I̢۪m speaking of the thongs that rapper Sisqo so eloquently sang of in the late 90s.

Adorable aren̢۪t they?

Now I’m not going to deny that I myself have perused a Victoria’s Secret and escaped the store with some risqué merchandise, but I do think these items should be saved for special occasions, and not be on display for anything involving the class or school.

“Hey Mr. Professor can I have an A now?â€Â

Honestly, there is nothing more appetizing then walking into my 8 a.m. class without having eaten breakfast yet, and noticing that the girl in front of has a glistening pink heart peaking out above her pants.

And no, I wasn̢۪t staring, but it̢۪s kind of hard to miss when the light hits it just right when you̢۪re leaning down to pick up the pen you̢۪ve just dropped.

Needless to say, I stopped eating breakfast in the mornings, and try relentlessly to sit in the front row so no sparkling stars can fog my vision away from my notes. I don̢۪t think I̢۪ve ever been more engulfed in those notes.

To me this peek-a-boo issue is of utmost importance because I feel it casts an image of provocative nature on our campus where there shouldn̢۪t be one.

Certainly if I noticed, professors and employers will.

I’m not saying abandon your style — if this is, in fact, just a style. I’m just saying undergarments are undergarments and unless you’re rushing off to your job at the local strip joint after class, you should try to be respectful of those around you.

Keep your underwear just that — under your clothes.

After all, Shakira’s colossal song rings true: “Underneath your clothes there’s an endless story.â€Â

Please keep the story to yourself and the man or woman you choose.

Valerie Nevens is a freshman at Fresno State majoring in mass communication and journalism with an option in print journalism. At home, she has a pet she calls a “chi-weinerâ€Â dog — part Daschund, part Chihuahua.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• P

phoenixOct 29, 2007 at 12:45 pm

i myself am a highschool student. One day at the mall, my mom and a couple of my buddies were hanging out in the food court. I am goth and so are 75% of everyone i know. Two old women were sitting about 4 tables away from us. One said “how can they dress that way? they look like ratcoons with a murder record!” the other simply replied”at least they’re covered and not showing anything they should’nt!”
    i laughed so hard that day.

~phoenix~

• P

phoenixOct 29, 2007 at 7:45 pm

i laughed so hard that day.

~phoenix~

• K

KarenOct 28, 2007 at 7:09 am

Everyone should have just a bit of self pride.

This is NOT high school, there are no written rules about a proper dress code, but it would very nice if everyone would think out-of-the-box about that well known saying: 1st impressions are everything!

Just think…would you go to a job interview wearing attire like that? I think NOT!!

• K

KarenOct 28, 2007 at 2:09 pm