Once a Bulldog, always a Bulldog

Kim:
The excitement that comes with graduating is great. No more papers and no more parking problems. Unfortunately, this means time to step into the real world.

For some Bulldog athletes, this step is more like a little hop, going from one playing field to another.

Some former Bulldogs make a full circle by attending Fresno State, and eventually returning to fill a coaching position.

Other former Bulldogs, such as softball standouts Jamie Southern and Laura Berg, continue to make names for themselves on the field.

And even though those athletes don̢۪t represent Fresno State anymore, they still make the Bulldogs look good.

Their efforts and accomplishments in their post-college careers make me feel a little giddy.

Jim:
Seeing a Fresno State athlete succeed professionally is somewhat invigorating isn̢۪t it?

A couple of weeks ago I watched the San Diego Chargers play a game on Sunday Night Football. As usual, the starters on each team stated their names and colleges they attended. What caught my ear was, “Lorenzo Neal, Fresno State.â€Â

The starting fullback of the Chargers is a three-time, pro-bowl fullback and is currently the highest-paid fullback in the National Football League.
Not too shabby for a former Bulldog.

Not all Bulldogs have to go pro to succeed though.

What about UC Berkeley Head Coach Jeff Tedford?

Tedford, a former Fresno State quarterback, has totally revitalized Cal̢۪s football program. His team is currently ranked third in the country.

Kim:
You know when you’re watching NFL Sunday and the wide receiver says ‘Fresno State’ as his college, it catches your ear.

It̢۪s exciting. It really is.

My reasoning might be a bit superficial but hey — I am proud of our athletes and when they excel in the professional world, I feel that they are still representing our ’Dogs.

Even though women̢۪s sports aren̢۪t very popular, what Laura Berg has done in her career is pretty awesome.

For those who don̢۪t know who she is or what she̢۪s done, let me know fill you in a little.

Berg graduated from Fresno State in 1998. During her career here, she was a four-time NFCA All-American and four-time NCAA All-Regional team player. She was also the second Bulldog to record 100 or more hits in a season.

Pretty impressive.

After her time here, she went on the win three gold medals in the Summer Olympics.

Not too shabby for a girl.

Jim:
It seems like former Fresno State athletes produce under the spotlight.

When Trent Dilfer led the Baltimore Ravens to a Super Bowl XXXV win, what Fresno State fan didn̢۪t brag? You can hear the living room banter right now.

“Dude, I went to the same school as that guy!â€Â

“Yeah man, Dilfer’s my boy.â€Â

Last season, former Fresno State pitcher Jeff Weaver won three games during the St. Louis Cardinals̢۪ World Series run.

Weaver, like Berg, is also an Olympic medalist, winning the Bronze in Atlanta in 1996.

In a town that does not get much publicity, Bulldog athletes succeeding is a huge deal.

Your best bet is to watch a New England Patriots game. Two former Bulldogs play for the Patriots: safety James Sanders and offensive lineman Logan Mankins.

Kim:
So occasionally we produce some spectacular athletes — so what, right?

It̢۪s more than just that though.

The athletes who excel here want to come back here.

Look at David Carr.

He went on to the NFL and now his jersey is retired at Bulldog Stadium.

Who knows why, but when he came here with his family, he expressed a feeling of sincere gratitude and appreciation.

So, we appreciate him (well, I appreciate him) and he appreciates his Bulldog family.

How does that happen? You got me.

And not only do former athletes remember their alma mater, sometimes they even come back to stay.

Take, for example, the men̢۪s golf coach Mike Watney. He graduated from Fresno State in 1973 and in 1979, began coaching here.

And he is still coaching, three decades later.

More recently, Chantel Wiggins became the assistant coach for women̢۪s tennis. She graduated from Fresno State in 2003.

During her career as a student-athlete, Wiggins was a four-year letter winner from 1998 until 2002.

Jim:
Former Fresno State pitcher Bobby Jones enjoyed a 10-year career in Major League Baseball. Jones, an All-American at Fresno State, graduated in 1991.
Jones also came full circle like so many others and helped coach the Fresno State baseball team.

The football team also has some former Bulldogs coaching.

Former quarterback Jeff Grady and linebacker Tim Skipper are both on Pat Hill̢۪s staff this season, coaching for the school they once played for.

Grady was a four-year letter winner, graduating in 2003. Skipper was a four-year starter at linebacker for the Bulldogs and graduated in 2001.

Former Bulldog pitcher Mark Gardner, who enjoyed 12 seasons in the majors, found ways to make a career after baseball.

He is currently the bullpen coach for the San Francisco Giants, a job he has held for the past four seasons.

Kim:
Our athletes playing in the pros is exciting, but as graduates who liked it here so much, they couldn̢۪t stay away for long, which is an even greater thing for the university.

Jim:
The fact that numerous athletes have come back to Fresno State and make their homes here says a lot about the quality of this city and university.