No need to run late to class

Priscilla Elizondo, a criminology major, was happy to catch a ride on her way to the Science II building on Tuesday evening.  It was her first time riding the Dog Run to class instead of walking.  She rode almost halfway across campus on one of the many routes that the Dog Run offers to all students.  Designated stops can be found outside several buildings on campus.  The Dog Run is free of charge.
Shaun Ho / The Collegian

Michael Picado was curious about the Dog Run. He had noticed the large white signs posted around Fresno State proclaiming “Catch the Dog Run Hereâ€Â and spotted the bright red trams as they made their way around campus.

So on a breezy Monday morning when he had an hour to spare, Picado, a sophomore transfer student, decided to hop on the Dog Run and see where it would take him.

“I’m going to go through the whole circuit so I understand which way it goes,â€Â Picado said, taking sips from a large water bottle as he studied the surrounding buildings to see which stops would be the most useful to him.

Anthony Aviles (right) and Michael Pruitt are on their last run of the evening, making sure that the next shift is set up so the run will continue smoothly for the rest of the night.
Shaun Ho / The Collegian

The Dog Run, which is free of charge, operates from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. on weekdays, with nine stops around the outer areas of campus. The three trams travel back and forth in a “Uâ€Â shape, with end points at the dorms and the South Gym.

At the Student Recreation Center, a popular stop, senior Osay Isibor got on with several other students. After discovering the Dog Run, Isibor tried it out and calculated that the tram would get him to class 10 minutes faster.

A kinesiology major, Isibor had just finished class in the Recreation Center and had another class in the Science II building across campus in 10 minutes.

“I’ve got class right after so it helps with the long walk,â€Â Isibor said.

The Dog Run has only been in operation since the 2007 spring semester, and many students are still unsure of how it works.

“I see it passing around. It gets confusing,â€Â sophomore Yuriko Lunar said of trying to figure out the different stops on the route.

Driver Sergio Carrillo fielded questions ranging from what direction he was headed to whether he could stop the tram in the middle of the road so a student could get on. In fact, several students tried to hop on his tram as it was in motion.

Students are only allowed to get on the Dog Run at the designated stops, but Carillo said he sometimes offers students rides when he sees them near the stops, walking in the direction that he is headed.

“Sometimes I ask people if they need a ride,â€Â Carrillo said. “I tell people to tell other students that the service is happening to try and pick up more people.â€Â

Carillo, a sophomore, has been a Dog Run driver since the beginning of the semester. He had to ride along with another driver, watch videos and take an Online test to get the job.

“In order to drive [a tram] we have to be licensed,â€Â Carillo said. “I try to be careful when I take turns. I do think about [passenger] safety.â€Â

Carillo said he enjoys his job. It allows him to work three days a week while completing a degree in mechanical engineering.

“It’s simple,â€Â Carillo said. “You don’t have to break your back like in other jobs.â€Â

As more students learn about the Dog Run, traveling around campus should get simpler for them as well.

“I think it’s going to be excellent when it’s raining,â€Â Picado said as he completed his tour of the campus on the Dog Run. “I’d rather sit on this [tram] and go to my destination.â€Â

$100
$500

$100
$500

• K

KarenOct 28, 2007 at 7:12 am

What a terrific option!

Be sure to advertise the opportunity everywhere.

Just wait until the rainy season kicks in, there will be folks fighting for a seat.

• K

KarenOct 28, 2007 at 2:12 pm

What a terrific option!