No more moronitude

Not too long ago, I wrote a column about multiculturalism. I was very negative toward it. Apparently people agreed — there’s hope for the country yet.

In the past, students and staff respond angrily and furiously when I write about how multiculturalism is ruining our country. Students and staff write even more furiously when the same basic points are said stupidly.

Not so this time.

As of 7:26 p.m. on Thursday, a single commenter responded to the column. He agreed amiably.

What am I supposed to do with that? How do I aggressively attack misinterpretation and moronitude when there isn̢۪t any?

I wrote that thinking that racism is a pretty hot topic these days. The circumstances and media coverage surrounding the Jena Six, as modern civil rights activists call them in homage to the Little Rock Five and others, should be testament to the hot topic-ness of it all.

I’ll take the silence as assent to my premise: racism isn’t dead, and multiculturalism won’t defeat it. The new college-age generation — future governors, congressmen and Supreme Court justices — needs to understand this.

We can’t passively accept what our parents tell us. “Generation Meâ€Â did a lot of good — there’s a whole lot of bad still out there. We also get to fix their messes.

If we̢۪re going to try solving any problems, we̢۪ll need to get started now. The early indoctrination of our generation against racism inoculated us pretty well. Let̢۪s work on indoctrinating the youngsters against homophobia and racial inequity and we̢۪ll be good.

Start thinking about possible solutions now. I have questions I don̢۪t know how to begin to address.

How could we tackle how women make quarters on a comparable man̢۪s dollar? How do we encourage American solidarity and ethnic tolerance when there̢۪s so much division? What̢۪s the deal with deficit spending?

Don’t look at me. I’m a thoughtless critic — I can only criticize.

But if you start thinking now, you̢۪ll have an answer. That̢۪s the beauty of being the future.

****

In other news: criminal justice students observe subject the hard way; Republican candidate offers gaping loophole for the indecisive; and you’d think a drug plantation would be pretty obvious, what with the whole advocating-centuries-of-racist-oppression thing.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Benjamin BaxterOct 22, 2007 at 3:29 pm

The Collegian Staff Comment

I wouldn’t trade it for anything. Well, most things.

I’d like a Nikon D300.

Benjamin BaxterOct 22, 2007 at 10:29 pm

The Collegian Staff Comment

I’d like a Nikon D300.

Billary W. BushtonOct 22, 2007 at 1:46 pm

Ben needs a break from the Collegian. He’s putting together a 15 article/opinion/blog-a-day season together. He’s the Roger Maris of the Collegian. Impressive stats.

Billary W. BushtonOct 22, 2007 at 8:46 pm