Make a Difference Day hits home

Make a Difference Day is a national day of service put on by USA Weekend magazine. It is known as America̢۪s biggest day of volunteering, involving over three million people nationwide.

“This will be Fresno State’s third year participating in this event,â€Â said Renee Delport, special events and projects coordinator for the Office of Civic Engagement and Service Learning. “Last year, over 50 Fresno State volunteers cleaned and beautified the Sugar Pine Trail in northeast Fresno.â€Â

This year, Make A Difference Day is scheduled for Oct. 27, from 8 a.m. to noon. Students who participate will be assigned one of five different service projects with agencies in the Fresno and Clovis area. Projects range from building arbors and landscaping in Old Town Clovis, to graffiti cleanup in the Fresno State area.

Several students from Fresno State̢۪s Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) joined together this year to form a team.

“We are active on campus, EOP-wise, but we want to be more visible and give back to the community,â€Â said John Lor of the EOP program.

The program had been discussing ways to work together as a group to provide service to the community. When EOP received an e-mail about Make A Difference Day, the event seemed to be the best way for the group to get involved.

“I think it’s a good way to promote community involvement,â€Â said Casimiro Llamas Jr., a peer advisor and one of 14 members of the EOP team. “It works to get a lot of people involved and I think that’s what the city of Fresno needs.â€Â

Llamas, who wanted to engage himself more this semester, said that this was the perfect opportunity because it was on a weekend.

For the past two years, Fresno State has participated with the city of Fresno and the Volunteer Center of Fresno. Due to staffing changes, both agencies are unable to participate this year.

“Because of the positive response from students, it was decided that Fresno State would continue the event and handle all the arrangements,â€Â Delport said.

So far the office has received numerous volunteer registration forms and hopes for more.

“We encourage all students who are able to give up a few hours of their Saturday to call our office and sign up for the event,â€Â Delport said.

Sign up to help out

The event will kick-off with a small ceremony including coffee and donuts prior to service location assignments.

̢ۢ Students interested in participating should contact Renee Delport at 278- 7063 to pre-register. The deadline to sign up is Wednesday, Oct. 24.

̢ۢ Make A Difference day is scheduled for Oct. 27 from 8 a.m. to noon.

̢ۢ Students who participate will be assigned one of five different service projects with agencies in the Fresno and Clovis area.