Johnson-Klein trial to begin

Former women̢۪s basketball coach Stacy Johnson-Klein was in court this week in preparation for her upcoming trial against Fresno State, in which she is claiming sexual harassment, gender discrimination and wrongful termination.

A judge will allow some controversial evidence in the ensuing trial.

For example, Johnson-Klein̢۪s attorney, Warren Paboojian, was given permission to cite a Terry Pettis videotaped deposition. By revealing information about Pettis̢۪ alleged misconduct while he was on the men̢۪s Fresno State basketball team, Paboojian hopes to show that Pettis̢۪ indiscretions, such as failing drug tests, did not lead to his removal from the team by former men̢۪s basketball coach Ray Lopes.

Johnson-Klein̢۪s attorneys claim that this infraction, as well as additional NCAA infractions, did not result in his termination.

Lopes resigned with a $250,000 settlement. The attorneys hope to compare this treatment to the university̢۪s treatment of Johnson-Klein. Her attorneys claim she was fired due to lesser allegations.

Information about Johnson-Klein̢۪s use of pain medication will also be released to the jury, yet the judge hasn̢۪t decided how much of that information can be used.

The judge will also allow the testimony of former women̢۪s volleyball coach Lindy Vivas, who won a $5.85 million discrimination lawsuit against Fresno State last summer.

The case̢۪s next step is next Wednesday̢۪s jury selection.