Hockey still clubbin’ for national title

Juan Villa / The Collegian

They trade in their pajamas and warm beds for skates and a freezing ice skating rink every Tuesday and Thursday at 6 a.m. — a time when the sun has yet to rise and many other students are sleeping.

In the last few years, the Fresno State ice hockey team has made a name for itself and proved that it takes more than just a love of hockey to win.

In 2005, the team attended the American Collegiate Hockey Association (ACHA) National Tournament and finished sixth in the nation out of 120 teams.

Juan Villa / The Collegian

“These guys have a will and determination that makes it exciting to come and watch because you can see them bleeding, putting their heart and soul into every shift and every play that we have,” said coach Marcel Bourdase. “And that’s something that’s rare in sports.”

Will and determination has helped the team to succeed in situations where other teams may have failed.

Last weekend the team traveled to Arizona and beat Northern Arizona University 2-1 — with eight players.

“Anytime you’re playing competitive hockey, you’re not going to win a whole lot of games with eight players,” Bourdase said. “That’s what made Saturday night so amazing. It’s one of the proudest moments in my career.”

After an on-ice brawl, three Fresno State players were suspended, leaving the team no choice but to continue with only eight players.

Goaltender Joe Ricupero had to suit up as an extra player to compensate for lost manpower.

“I don’t know how to describe it — it was really up and down,” Ricupero said. “The first game we got blown out. The second game was just like night and day.”

Because of accomplishments like these, the team’s unwavering goal of becoming ACHA national champions may be accomplished in the near future — if the players continue to improve their performance, Bourdase said.

“You don’t need to put a number on your win total,” Bourdase said. “All you need to do is, every time [the players] step out onto the ice [they make sure] that they’re working their butts off to get better. And if everybody’s doing that, we will get better and get to raise a trophy at the end of the season.”

This year, there are only 13 players, including two goalies — only enough for two lines.

Typically, a team has enough players for at least three lines.

“It’s a huge disadvantage,” Bourdase said.

Ricupero agrees.

“The teams that we go against, as a whole, it’s harder because we don’t have the numbers,” he said.

Another disadvantage is the fact that the team is considered a “non-varsity team,” meaning it is not an official Fresno State team and does not receive any funds from the university or the athletic department.

Each player is required to pay their dues — this year it totaled $1,800 — to aid the costs of travel expenses, uniforms and other necessities.

Players must also pay for their own equipment and gear.

Despite those few disadvantages, the Fresno State ice hockey team has shown that a group of hard-working individuals can succeed.

“It used to be nobody knew we had a hockey team. You would say ‘Fresno State hockey team,’ and they go ‘What? We have a hockey team?’” Bourdase said. “Hopefully we’ll get to the point where we have 20 players every year and you’ll be seeing us bringing home lots of different championships — hopefully within the next year or two, a national championship.

“I know that’s a big goal on everyone’s mind and it’s something we came close to.”

Next Home Games…

Games for the month of October.

̢ۢ Oct. 6 vs. CSUN
8:30 p.m. at Gateway Ice Center

̢ۢ Oct. 13 vs. San Diego State
5 p.m. at Gateway Ice Center

̢ۢ Oct. 27 vs. Sacramento State
3:30 p.m. at Save Mart Center

More information can be found at www.BulldogIceHockey.com

$100
$500

$100
$500

anonymous.Dec 22, 2007 at 3:39 am

i just wanted to throw this out there… joe ricupero is spoken of through out the entire article while kate is not. she has a few quotes towards the end and thats it. plus… shes the back up goalie for the bulldogs. hasnt even played in most of the games this season. i think the mere fact that she’s the one in the photographs for this article is a total slap in the face to joe… who actually plays and is an active member of the team both on and off the ice.

ive been to most games this season and from a fans point of view, watching these games, the only reason kate even has a jersey is to cover all the team’s bases on the off chance, and god forbid, joe gets hurt. and i pity the guys if he does because if they have to play the rest of the season without joe, they’re screwed.

GO DOGSS!!! : ]

anonymous.Dec 22, 2007 at 10:39 am

GO DOGSS!!! : ]

• H

Heather BillingsOct 7, 2007 at 10:36 am

The Collegian Staff Comment

You’re right; I’m sure David Carr is far too busy to read the Collegian.

• H

Heather BillingsOct 7, 2007 at 5:36 pm

The Collegian Staff Comment

To Catch a Nashville PredatorOct 7, 2007 at 8:54 am

I think “Davis Carr” might be yanking somebody’s chain. either that or busy getting ready to start at QB for Sunday’s game at New Orleans.

To Catch a Nashville PredatorOct 7, 2007 at 3:54 pm

Brian ChiaritoOct 6, 2007 at 11:54 pm

Davis Carr, It is never to late to get involved with the team. Just contact myself or Coach Bourdase. WE can talk and see how you want to be involved. Are you a player or what?

Let me know by e-mailing me at [email protected]. Thanks for the interest in the team.

Brian ChiaritoOct 7, 2007 at 6:54 am

Davis CarrOct 6, 2007 at 1:56 pm

Don’t forget women kicking for collegiate football teams—–but anyways – GO BULLDOG PUCKS!!!

I understand your team has a hockey puck in the hockey hall of fame in Ontario (Canada). It reads FSU Bulldogs (looks like an old version).

Is it too late to get involved in the team?– Also mention that aid is available for students in sponsorship money.

Davis CarrOct 6, 2007 at 8:56 pm

• L

Lance ItoOct 6, 2007 at 1:34 pm

Nah, no article on the goalie. Women goalies have been playing club hockey in the sunbelt for quite a while now. it’s not unheard of. The US Women’s National team goalie from the 02 and 06 Olympics was a club member of the USC Trojan men’s club team.
    Tampa Bay of the NHL used a Canadian Women’s team goalie in preseason games back in 1992-93. Women goalies have played ‘AA’ hockey in two or more leagues over the course of the 90’s.

I think the fact that a photo of your daughter was right next to the title line and provided the reader her name was more than sufficient. Lets not be so choosey.

• L

Lance ItoOct 6, 2007 at 8:34 pm

Ann MacBeanOct 6, 2007 at 6:44 am

Thanks for your great article on the hockey team. My daughter Kate, is the goalie making the save in the first photo. How about doing an article on the fact that she is the first female ever, to play on the men’s hockey team. That may motivate more women who play or have played, to join the team, and increase the number of players. Please check the time you posted of their next game. I believe it is incorrect. It’s more like 5 or 5:15.

Ann MacBeanOct 6, 2007 at 1:44 pm

danny noonanOct 5, 2007 at 2:33 pm

I know more of you students play ice hockey—–get out there and add a few more lines to the Bulldog roster. Work and academics COME SECONDARY TO BULLDOG HOCKEY.

danny noonanOct 5, 2007 at 9:33 pm