Gearing up the prices

Juan Villa / The Collegian

It is like a scene out of an epic action movie.

The hero comes on screen and is handed each piece of armor to fasten on.

The last and final piece is the helmet. Once pulled down tightly over the hero̢۪s head, the hero is now ready for battle.

This brave warrior is confident that the armor they wear will keep them from harm.

Except this battle will take place on the ice, and it̢۪s the Fresno State Bulldog Ice Hockey team goalies who are the mighty warriors.

Goaltender Kate MacBean demonstrates usage of her equipment.  Pads alone cost over $1,500, and are paid for out-of-pocket.
Juan Villa / The Collegian

They rely on their equipment as if it were a suit of armor in their quest to defend their team̢۪s goal.

Goalie Joe Ricupero said all the equipment comes in handy, but that there are certain pieces that are more important than others.

“My catching glove is the most valuable, it has saved our skins so much, the glove just really helps in making me physically able to stop the puck,â€Â Ricupero said.

Ricupero relies on his chest protector because most shots are taken to the chest.

The chest protector however doesn̢۪t cover his entire upper torso.

“There is a little area just around the shoulder that doesn’t have much coverage,â€Â Ricupero said. “What will usually happen is what we call a stinger, the puck hits that area and causes an intense and painful bruise.â€Â

The most uncomfortable piece of equipment for Ricupero is the neck guard, because of its tendency to rub on the neck irritating the skin, making the neck become itchy.

“All the equipment starts out very uncomfortable, especially the leg pads, when first worn they are very stiff and won’t bend, you just have to break them in,â€Â Ricupero said.

But being comfortable is not often the major concern for these goalies.

Price and availability of equipment is what often troubles them.

Goalie Kate MacBean said there isn̢۪t a whole lot of places to go to find equipment, at least around Fresno.

“There isn’t a lot of goalies in the Fresno area,â€Â MacBean said. “So many sport stores don’t really sell any goalie stuff. I have to usually shop online.â€Â

Price is what troubles Ricupero. The Bulldog Ice Hockey team doesn̢۪t receive any funding, meaning all players usually have to pay for their equipment on their own.

Ricupero said just his glove, blocker and pads alone cost over $2,000.

Prices like this force the players to work, as well as go to school.

“It’s hard, but I know we are not the only ones,â€Â Ricupero said. “I just wish we did not have to pay for everything.â€Â

Both goalies agree that even though all the equipment they have is useful, they wish there were a few things they could change.

MacBean said that since she is a female there is some equipment that needs some redesign.

“The chest protector needs to be more form fitting and have thicker padding, because girls tend to be more sensitive in the chest area,â€Â she said.

Ricupero is all about performance. He wishes he could change the shape of his blocking glove.

He feels the glove needs to be curved, not flat for angled shots.

Ricupero selects his equipment based on how each piece affects his ability to perform, often choosing the brand Brian̢۪s.

“They have the best options for customization and their equipment allows for better movement,â€Â Ricupero said.

MacBean prefers the brand, Bauer, which is not too expensive and their equipment offers a lot of protection.

“I want to be protected, but I don’t want to pay too much,â€Â MacBean said.

Price may be one huge battle for these players, but maintaining the equipment is a constant struggle.

MacBean explains that the equipment constantly has to be kept dry.

Sweat and moisture from the ice gather everywhere, especially in gloves and leg pads; when not kept dry these get very foul smelling and begin to rot.

“Legs pads are the worst because not only do you have to worry about moisture, but they have many components which usually rip, tear or can fall off,â€Â MacBean said.

But like the heroes on film, these goalies know it̢۪s a small price to pay considering all the protection offered by the equipment they wear.

Like a suit of armor, which works better when polished and sharpened, their equipment is essential to maintain for success.

After all, battles are not won without hard work.

What̢۪s next for Bulldog Ice Hockey

All home games are played at Gateway Ice Center, unless otherwise specified.

̢ۢ Oct. 27 vs. Sac State. 3:30 p.m., Save Mart Center.

̢ۢ Nov. 11 vs. UC Davis, 5 p.m.

̢ۢDec. 1 vs. COC, 5 p.m.

̢ۢFeb. 9 vs. Santa Clara, TBA

Current Record: 2-3

Visit Bulldog Ice Hockey online.

$100
$500

$100
$500

McLovinOct 24, 2007 at 11:12 pm

good exposure on the club sports, Collegian staffers. Positive move over past years. The photo on the back of today’s hard copy tabloid with the graphical breakdown was fantastic.

McLovinOct 25, 2007 at 6:12 am