Food at the Fresno fair

Juan Villa / The Collegian

Exploring exhibits, racing to the rides and enjoying the concerts all leads to one inevitable situation while attending The Big Fresno Fair –– the growing pang of hunger.

Luckily, fair attendees who must heed the call of a growling stomach have many options to choose.

Charlie̢۪s is a fried food concession stand that prides itself on creating new and unique choices for fair-goers to try.

David Morales, a Charlie̢۪s concession stand worker, said important consideration is taken when it comes to fair food.

“People love fair food and this year The Big Fresno Fair really amped up what there is to offer,â€Â said Morales.

Morales said fair attendees are always looking for something new and exciting to try at the Fresno fair.

“People come for an experience,â€Â said Morales. “Our concession stand wanted to offer choices that are unique.â€Â

Charlie’s menu includes fried Twinkies, fried Oreos, fried frog legs, fried chicken and many more including their brand new creation –– fried cola.

The fried cola is what drew the attention and curiosity of one family of fair goers.

Debbie Phelps, who brought her twin niece and nephew Chloe and Clayton Mead, wanted to try it and know exactly how cola is in fact fried.

“I heard about fried Pepsi off of the news and couldn’t comprehend how it is made or what it could probably taste like,â€Â said Phelps.

Morales solved the mystery by explaining exactly how fried Pepsi is made.

“It’s essentially a funnel cake but we add Pepsi to the batter giving it a sweet cola taste,â€Â said Morales.

Phelps pulled out her money to order one, and is handed her treat in a small paper Pepsi cup. She took a bite and smiled, then handed it to her niece and nephew for them to try.

“Oh this is good, Aunt Debbie,â€Â said Chloe, wiping remnants of whip cream from her mouth.

Phelps said fair food always tastes so good, but does often wonder how healthy it all really is.

“It seems a lot of the food is either fried, super sweet or smothered in butter,â€Â Phelps said.

Morales explained that healthy choices are also available at the fair that many attendees do not know about.

“Many people don’t realize the fair also sells fruit cups, stuffed veggies and roasted corn,â€Â Morales said.

Clay Mead, nephew of Phelps, wanted to stick with an old favorite.

“I love corn dogs. The fair ones are the best,â€Â said Clay. “I want one now.â€Â

Phelps smiled and ushered her family toward the nearest corn dog stand, to further satisfy their appetites for the food offered at The Big Fresno Fair.