Festivities to kickoff homecoming

Leave your coats at home, because “the heat is onâ€Â during the homecoming festivities leading up to the Fresno State football game against San Jose State on Oct. 20.

This year’s theme, “Bulldog Blaze: The Heat Is On,â€Â represents the idea of “trying to fire things upâ€Â, said Mike Simonson, co-coordinator of spirit and homecoming activities for University Student Union Productions.

Various clubs and organizations on campus are hosting events ranging from Wellness Services̢۪ Wicked Wellness Halloween Carnival to the Ag-One Organization̢۪s farm tour and wine tasting.

Simonson said students should become more involved during homecoming events “to promote school spirit [and] create a fun atmosphere here on campus.â€Â

USU Productions will host a number of events Monday through Friday starting at 11 a.m. and ending at 1 p.m.

These events will all be held on the grass area near the Kennel Bookstore, except on Friday when the events will be held at the USU, said Shawna Blair, the USU program advisor.

The first event by USU Productions is the relay race on Monday, consisting of a mini-bike ride, slip n̢۪ slide and three-legged race.

Following the race, students and faculty can get airbrush tattoos or participate in the chile pepper-eating contest, said Carolyn Harris, co-coordinator of spirit and homecoming activities.

A karaoke contest is scheduled for Wednesday at the Pit, as well as a Bulldog trivia contest.

Prizes are offered for the winners of each event, Blair said.

While Halloween is a few weeks away, students can get an early start on their décor by participating in the pumpkin carving and decorating contest on Thursday.

Winding out the week, USU Productions will have a mix of salsa dancers moving to the music of a mariachi band, as well as a new addition to this year’s lineup — the salsa recipe contest.

Later that afternoon, a pep rally will be held at Bulldog Boulevard, the red lot next to Bulldog Stadium.

Beginning at 3 p.m., students can enjoy Greek step show performances, inflatable games and live bands and will have the opportunity to take pictures with Timeout, Victor E. Bulldog as well as the Fresno State student-athletes and cheerleaders.

Another organization hosting events is Wellness Services.

They will have their first annual Wicked Wellness Halloween Carnival with pretty much everything that you expect to see at a carnival.

Activities include: a haunted house, obstacle course, human bowling, palm reader, fish ping pong, face painting, air brush tattoo, free popcorn and Gatorade, farm market barbecued corn and free T-shirts, said Sam Frank, project assistant for the social norms project for Wellness Services.

A faculty dunk tank is a part of the carnival as well, with professors Tim Anderson and Michael Caldwell as two of the four professors bravely volunteering.

The carnival runs from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Thursday, and each event is free of charge except for the dunk tank.

The cost per ball is $1, and this portion of the carnival will run from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m.

“The carnival is a great way for students to get involved with campus,â€Â Frank said. “Many social norms will be talked about [so] it’s also really educational.â€Â

A fundraising event for the Ag-One Foundation is also scheduled for next week, as they host their 10th annual farm tour and wine tasting on Friday.

The hour-long farm tour begins at 4:30 p.m. and the two-hour wine tasting starts at 5:30 p.m, said Christy Melvold, the foundation̢۪s program coordinator.

“What’s unique about the tour is that it’s a special offering — free of charge,â€Â Melvold said. “Tours aren’t open up to the public, so it’s a special tour that we offer with this wine tasting that’s offered just once a year.â€Â

During the tour, visitors will see the dairy processing area where the Fresno State ice cream is made, as well as the farm market where visitors can shop for produce and fresh foods.

For those wanting to experience the wine tasting after the free tour, tickets are $35 per person until Friday, when the price goes up to $40.

The cost of the tour covers the tasting of eight Fresno State wines and four university grown and made hors d̢۪oeuvres, such as sausage and table grapes, Melvold said.

Students should become more involved during homecoming events “to promote school spirit [and] create a fun atmosphere here on campus,â€Â Simonson said.

Homecoming may seem focused around the upcoming football game but Blair hopes that students, faculty, and alumni will participate.

“It’s not always just about football,â€Â Blair said. “[Homecoming is] mainly just to get people to bring out their Bulldog pride and have fun.â€Â

Homecoming Events

The weeks events leading up to the homecoming game on Saturday.

̢ۢ Monday: Relay race, airbrush tattoos, chile pepper-eating contest, booth decorating contest.

̢ۢ Tuesday: Live music in the Pit, Red, White and Wine! 5:30 p.m. University House.

̢ۢ Wednesday: Karaoke in the Pit, Bulldog trivia contest, Greek chariot races, 11 a.m. University Student Union and Memorial Fountain area.

̢ۢ Thursday: Wicked Wellness Halloween Carnival, pumpkin-carving contest, pumpkin decorating, late morning at University Student Union.

̢ۢ Friday: Salsa dancers, mariachi music, salsa recipe competition, 11 a.m. the Pit. Pep rally, 5 p.m. Bulldog Boulevard Stage, Fresno-Madera Alumni and Friends of College of Agricultural Sciences and Technology and Ag-One, 4:30 p.m. (farm tour) and 5:30 p.m. (tasting) Fresno State winery.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• F

FSDogs1Oct 12, 2007 at 10:46 am

The pep rally next Friday should be great. This is something all the students and alumni should come out to. What a great atmosphere it could turn out to be…

• F

FSDogs1Oct 12, 2007 at 5:46 pm