Family Fun at Chukchansi Sports Zone

The new place to go for sports and family fun is the Chukchansi Sports Zone at The Big Fresno Fair.

One of the fair̢۪s new attractions, the Sports Zone, has fun activities for almost everyone in the family. It consists of a Chukchansi Casino booth, ESPN radio, TVs, a bull riding machine and baseball and football throwing.

Chukchansi has had a booth at the fair since the casino opened in 2003, but this time around, they are making an extra effort to attract more visitors. Their strategy includes raffles and other promotions, including a booth where people can sign up to win a free night at the Chukchansi Casino Hotel. Participants also get a free cup with the monthly newsletter and a T-shirt inside it.

Melissa Contrestano, a Chukchansi worker, said that this is the first year they are handing out the cup, newsletter and T-shirt, in a combined effort to promote the first year of ESPN and Chukchansi joining together at the Fresno fair.

But, Contrestano stressed, the giveaways won̢۪t end when the fair does.

“There will be about four drawings after the fair ends,â€Â Contrestano said.

Give-away prizes aside, some of the attractions at the Sports Zone bring big groups of visitors.

The bull riding machine was especially popular among the teenagers. Many climbed on to the bull looking confident, with one arm waving in the air as the bull bucked. A smile could be found on almost everyone after they fell.

The challenge of staying on was what drew some to it.

Samuel Knight, 12, was one who was up to the task, but didn̢۪t expect to be a natural.

“I didn’t think I would last long but it was fun,â€Â Knight said, adding that he hoped he had the chance to ride the bull again so he could improve his bull riding skills.

James Peterson, 27, said that the only thing he was worried about was having his time beaten by a bunch of kids.

“It looks easier than it actually is. I think a few kids beat my time. Now that’s embarrassing,â€Â Peterson said.

Big screen TVs were there for those who wanted to catch a sports game while at the fair. Family and friends got the chance to watch the baseball game or try out a video game on one of the flat screens.

Others stepped up to the “moundâ€Â to test their pitching skills, giving all of their strength to be the faster pitcher. Some looked surprised when they saw how fast they actually didn’t throw.

Daniel Schlictman, 15, said that he felt his reputation was at stake.

“I play baseball for my high school and had to show up all [of] my friends,â€Â Schlitmctman said.

With all of the things to try, the covered Chukchansi Sports Zone allowed people to escape from the sun and enjoy the shade, giving parents a break while they watched their children play.

Schlitman said that the he wishes that the fair had always had the Chuckchansi Sports Zone.

“They should have this every year,â€Â he said.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Melissa ContrestanoMay 28, 2008 at 7:43 pm

Hi, This email is inteded for Kristen Tolleson. I just wanted to comment on how well your article was written and hopefully brought alot of attention for the fair and as well as the Collegian. Although you did a fantastic job, I am emailing you to see if you can change the title of my position from Chukchansi worker to Advertising Manager. I am having alot of people google me and it has been brought to my attention that this title should be changed since what I am listed as does not expalin anything other than I am a worker for the casino. If this does not create a problem, I ask that this could be done. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

Thank you for your understanding.

Melissa Contrestano

Melissa ContrestanoMay 29, 2008 at 2:43 am

Thank you for your understanding.

Melissa Contrestano