Expectations exceeded and not stopping

Juan Villa / The Collegian

Fresno State football: second place and undefeated in the Western Athletic Conference (WAC).

That doesn̢۪t sound right, considering all the injuries and suspensions plaguing this year̢۪s team.

I definitely did not predict this is where we would be right now.

At the beginning of the season, the loss at Texas A&M proved that we are a good football team.

The loss at Oregon told a different story.

Yes, I know — Oregon is one of those teams that is expected to pounce on us anyway, but admit it, they blew us away.

Beating Louisiana Tech and Nevada was awesome, but not impressive.

Saturday̢۪s win over Idaho, however, definitely was.

And even though I hate to say ‘I told you so’ (okay I actually love it), the young guys lead the running game and definitely produced.

By young guys, I mean specifically Lonyae Miller and Ryan Mathews.

Juan Villa / The Collegian

Two touchdowns each and 238 yards total? I like that.

You must give credit where credit is due though — the ’Dogs played well overall.

The successful running game is something worth mentioning, too. The Bulldogs rushed 47 times and lost yardage on only four plays.

This comes, too, without defensive tackle Jason Shirley, who was suspended indefinitely after being arrested for suspicion of driving under the influence and hit and run.

Shirley stands at 6-foot-5 and was the biggest player on the Bulldog defense.

Last weekend, Shirley forced a fumble, which was recovered by the Bulldogs.

Despite Shirley̢۪s absence this weekend, the Bulldogs still managed to make big plays.

Hopefully next weekend against San Jose State, the ̢۪Dogs will be able to make more big plays.

Being 3-0 in WAC is a very good thing, but a win over the Spartans would be the icing on the cake.

It̢۪s our homecoming, the chance to extend our WAC record to 4-0 and the opportunity to redeem ourselves.

The Spartans beat us last year 24-14, for their homecoming the last game of the season. That would have also been the 13th game in a row the Bulldogs were victorious over the Spartans.

There̢۪s no doubt that this game will be a tough one, but for the sake of our pride, let̢۪s get that win. And seeing as it is homecoming, let̢۪s return the favor.

This isn̢۪t all up to the guys on the field either. The house should be packed with the red wave cheering them on.

Pride in our school and faith in our football team — that’s what it’s about.