Equestrian̢۪s ride to championship begins

On the rail, roll back, sliding stop.

These are some of the terms the Fresno State women̢۪s equestrian team will keep in mind when competing.

With a full team at 69 girls, coach Rebecca Malmo is looking to have a solid showing.

However, having a full team is an obstacle for Malmo.

“We have 69 girls. It is one of the main things we have to accommodate,â€Â Malmo said.

Finding riding time for all the team members will be an effort because there are 30 school horses.

“Practices start at 9 in the morning, going until 5:30 in the evening,â€Â Malmo said. “They are grouped into practice units based on skill levels.â€Â

Another challenge for the team is being on the road.

“It is always a challenge to be away; we’re away for five competitions,â€Â Malmo said.

The road is difficult because the girls will ride horses that are unfamiliar to them.

“A horse is so unique and individual. If we’re away we have to ride the host team’s horses,â€Â Malmo said. “Having experience or riding it in the past is a positive.â€Â

Although the team is young with 40 freshmen, Malmo feels the team is off to a positive start.

“They are a great group of women, very committed to the team,â€Â Malmo said. “There is less riff between Western and English than the last couple of years.â€Â

Having 69 members on a team can get hairy at times, but freshman Shellie Dalluge says that the team does several things to keep them chemistry strong.

“We have team meetings every week,â€Â Dalluge said. “We do community service, see each other at workouts, and a lot of girls hang out outside of classes.â€Â

Malmo has several strategies that she uses to influence team chemistry as well.

“We do some team bonding activities; we always mix up English and Western riders with the rooms on the road,â€Â Malmo said.

With everything in place thus far according to Malmo, she is feeling positive about the upcoming season.

“I’m optimistic. I think we have a great group of returners and a ton of talent in our freshmen,â€Â Malmo said. “I’m enthusiastic in how they are going to do.â€Â

Fresno State̢۪s first competition of the season was held Oct. 6 in Las Cruces, NM.

The Dogs opened the season with a 13-7 loss to New Mexico State.

Equestrian Schedule

Home competitions this season.

̢ۢ Oct. 27 vs. SMU, 9 a.m.

̢ۢ Feb. 16, Best of the West Tournament, 8 a.m.

̢ۢ March 1 vs. Auburn, 8 a.m.

̢ۢ March 2 vs. New Mexico State, 8 a.m.