Defense strong in 1-0 win

Bulldog defender Aubrey Tennant fights for the ball in the 1-0 win over Utah Sunday afternoon at Bulldog Stadium.
Joseph Hollak / The Collegian

After a convincing 4-0 win over Louisiana Tech on Friday, the women̢۪s soccer team improved their record Sunday with a 1-0 win over theUtah State Aggies.

The lone goal came in the 78th minute after midfielder Christina Gilbert was fouled and midfielder Stephanie Yoro took the kick, blasting it from 33 yards out.

“In practice, it’s designed for me to take the free kicks from the top of the key,â€Â Yoro said. “I knew when Christina drew the foul it was my chance to capitalize with only 12 minutes remaining.â€Â

The Bulldogs defense recorded their seventh shutout in 14 games.

Gilbert, Ali Sill and Chelsea Davis anchored the midfield, while freshman Bradlee DeShane showed strong defensive play throughout.

“They played us tough and it’s taken a lot of hard work,â€Â DeShane said. “I’m excited with what our defense has done this year.â€Â

First half play was controlled by the Bulldogs, who took five shots on goal. The Aggies had none.

Fourth year coach Steve Springthorpe said defense has been the strong point for the team in the last few years.

“Utah State always plays us tough,â€Â Springthorpe said. “It was a very defensive minded game and the last four years have resulted in two ties [and a 2-1] win.â€Â

The defending 2006 champions are in third place in WAC play.