Candlelight vigil for world peace

"[Mahatma] Ghandi was such an influential and inspirational man, so it
Juan Villa / The Collegian

Children are getting abused by loved ones. Wives are being murdered by husbands. Terrorists are bombing synagogues and mosques. The United States military is entangled in a brutal war with Iraq.

Examples of violence, such as these, in many ways affects us all. This week Fresno State will host events to spread a message of non-violence, and to remember the word and spirit of activist Mahatma Gandhi.

Tuesday, Oct. 2, has now been declared “International Day of Non-Violenceâ€Â by the United Nations general assembly.

It also marks what would have been Gandhi̢۪s 138 birthday.

Ceremonies began yesterday when Fresno State held a musical and floral tribute honoring Gandhi̢۪s life.

Tomorrow night the school will host the first “Candlelight Vigil for World Peace.â€Â

The vigil will take place at dusk in Fresno State̢۪s Peace Garden and begin with speakers, singing, poetry and the candle light vigil, followed by a showing of a documentary detailing the famous Salt March led by Gandhi.

Event coordinator and former Fresno State professor Sudarshan Kapoor, Ph.D., said this will be a landmark event that is vital given the current state of events within the world.

“It is time for us to remember that we are brothers and sisters sharing this world together,â€Â Kapoor said. “We must stop the hate, stop the violence and build a culture of peace.â€Â

Kapoor believes the message and teachings of Gandhi need to be remembered and reiterated to the younger generation.

“Gandhi was such an influential and inspirational man, so it’s important for us to understand that his message is timeless,â€ÂKapoor aid.

According to the website “Gandhi’s Lifeâ€Â at www.mkgandhi.org, Gandhi was born and raised in a traditional Hindu family in India. He was later educated as a lawyer in England. Gandhi then fought against racial prejudice, discrimination and injustice in South Africa. He later returned to India and led the liberation movement for his country’s political independence from Great Britain in 1947.

Gandhi̢۪s messages of pacifism and the Salt March he led were the inspiration for other renowned spiritual leaders such as Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and Cesar Chavez.

Kapoor hopes this event will get people thinking and help break barriers of hate and prejudice.

“This day was declared to make people aware of how our destructive and violent nature is damaging the world around us,â€Â Kapoor said. “How much more can our world take?â€Â

Kapoor urges anyone and everyone to attend this special event and tribute tomorrow night here at Fresno State.

“Everyone is welcome,â€Â Kapoor said. “We will even have a open mic session for those that attend to voice their opinion and to honor the life of this very memorable human being, Mahatma Gandhi.â€Â

Candlelight Vigil for World Peace
The vigil will take place at dusk in Fresno State̢۪s Peace Garden and begin with speakers, singing, poetry and the candlelight vigil, followed by a showing of a documentary detailing the famous Salt March led by Gandhi.

̢ۢ Peace Garden in front of Henry Madden Library.

̢ۢ Vigil to start at sunset on Tuesday.

$100
$500

$100
$500

JulietteOct 2, 2007 at 10:31 am

Nice concept, and no doubt a lovely little event like this makes people feel more secure in a way, but the world is full of evil things.

Whether we like to accept it or not, world peace will never become reality.

And to Mr. Waayers: Gandhi was admirable, but Jesus stood for much more than just world peace, did he not?

JulietteOct 2, 2007 at 5:31 pm

John WaayersOct 1, 2007 at 5:01 pm

As we pause today in a vigil for world peace, I think is also important to recognize another great man who stood for world peace. This person is often ignored on college campus across the country. Just a few of his quotes provide a glimpse of what he stood for:

“Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you.â€Â

“If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.â€Â And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.â€Â

His name of course was Jesus.

John WaayersOct 2, 2007 at 12:01 am

“Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you.”

“If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.” And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.”

His name of course was Jesus.

McLovinOct 1, 2007 at 9:44 am

I wouldn’t say the US is entangled in a war WITH Iraq. We’re way beyond that point in the hostilities.

Would’ve been 138? Right, too bad he passed away.

McLovinOct 1, 2007 at 4:44 pm