Campus speak

Do you consider yourself politically active? What issues are most important to you? What issues do you think students should be most concerned with?

“I think the most important issues are education and the war. I don’t believe we should be in Iraq. It’s time to pull out. People are dying for another country — I think it’s pretty dumb. There are lots of places in the United States that don’t have enough books and with teachers giving up on students. If you don’t have a good education, you can’t get a good job and will be subjected to minimum wage jobs. I’m not really following any candidates closely, though.â€Â

Chyna Frank
Pre-Nursing
Freshman

“I don’t consider myself politically active. I’ve never been involved in voting and have never registered to vote. It’s never interested me. There are some students that are more involved. I’ve just never taken interested in whether I’m conservative or liberal, Democrat or Republican.â€Â

David Stuart
Business: Accounting
Junior

“I believe that people should be involved in politics and know what issues are surrounding them. I would say the war in Iraq and health care are the two issues that are most important to me. We have been in Iraq for years and numerous soldiers have died — I know it’s been a controversy with a lot of people. I originally was for the war in Iraq but now I’m against it. I think it’s time for our boys to come home and to see some change here in America. â€Â

Grant George
Communications
Senior

“It’s frustrating because sometimes issues seem to get overlooked because one politician isn’t in the same party as another. For some reason, things fall by the wayside, even if they agree with that person, just because they don’t have the same political backgrounds. Sometimes I wonder whether political parties do more harm than good.â€Â

Chris Ibarra
Criminology
Senior

“Growing up, I had a father who was very into politics. I would see how it changed his personality on different days and I didn’t care for it. I don’t see why somebody should anger you in such a way that it should affect your life. I think people should be politically active, but it’s harder for me, especially since I don’t have a lot of time to watch the news just because of all my extracurricular activities. I really do wish I could be more active and knew more of what is going on in the world.â€Â

Mary Walls
Business: Marketing
Senior

$100
$500

$100
$500

whitney thompsonOct 25, 2007 at 12:10 pm

Growing up, my father put on Rush Limbaugh every morning he came on the radio and I remeber shrinking down in my passanger seat with pure
    mortification on what he had to say. I knew I didn’t just disagree
    with what he was saying but I also couldn’t articulate it propperly
    because I was only a teenager without the language. I felt really isolated
    growing up in a very conservative household so coming to college
    I have tried to meet as many radical liberals I can. The older
    I have gotten the more I have felt a need to speak up for humanitarian rights.
    To speak up for women, women of color, working class, and for environemental
    issues. If I ever have children, I want them to know that I did the best I could
    for a just world for them to come into and that I tried my best at environmental
    preservation.

whitney thompsonOct 25, 2007 at 7:10 pm

preservation.