Bulldog Classic to begin season

Keith Kountz / Athletic Media Relations

MEN’S TENNIS

The Wathen Tennis Center will be busy today through Sunday when the Fresno State men̢۪s tennis team hosts the Bulldog Classic.

Hoping to start off the season strong, the players will see how their early season practices fair when they face Sacramento State, San Diego, and Cal Poly.

Coach Jay Udwadia, who was in Tulsa, Okla. at the Intercollegiate Tennis Association All-American, said in a phone interview that he is anticipating a good experience for his young team this weekend.

“I have two new freshmen. It is going to be their first matches as Bulldogs, so I am looking for them to get a lot of match play,â€Â Udwadia said. “We’re guaranteed some good experience to get our team ready for the rest of the season.â€Â

Recently Udwadia had decided to accept a coaching position at Pepperdine University.

After a couple of days of reflection, he decided to remain as the Bulldogs head coach.

“We have something very special, something I wasn’t willing to give up,â€Â Udwadia said. “I believe in my team and we’re going to go to new heights. I’m proud to be a Bulldog.â€Â

Udwadia sees the team as a strong unit even though it is comprised of two juniors, one of whom is a transfer from Santa Clara, and the rest, freshmen and sophomores.

“We’re a young team, but we’re ready to make strides in the rankings,â€Â Udwadia said. “By no means is this a rebuilding year. We are ready to get in there and start winning right away.â€Â

Sophomore Taylor Leiby feels the team will be a strong competitor in the Bulldog Classic.

“I think we are going to do really well,â€Â Leiby said. “We have a talented team. The competition is tough, but I think we should do pretty well.â€Â

Personally, Leiby hopes to have a good showing at the Classic.

“I’m definitely hoping to go deep into it,â€Â Leiby said. “I’m sure the team is hoping to get some titles too.â€Â

Despite a young team, Udwadia does not foresee many complications this weekend.

“I don’t think we are going to face many challenges. We have been practicing the last three or four weeks and now is the time to relax and perform,â€Â Udwadia said. “The challenging part is just staying calm and ready to compete on Friday.â€Â

ITA All-American Tournament Results

The season started a few days early for junior Rudolf Siwy.

Siwy participated in the All-American Tournament, which began Oct. 1 in Tulsa, Okla.

In the first round of the main draw singles Thursday, Siwy played Oklahoma State̢۪s Oleksandr Nedovyesov.

Siwy lost to Nedovyesov, eliminating him from the tournament.

In the final round of qualifying Wednesday, Siwy beat No. 114 Reid Carleton of Duke in three sets.

Siwy beat Mississippi̢۪s Jakob Klaeson 6-3, 6-4 Tuesday.

In the first set, he trailed 2-0 and 3-1 before winning five games.

Monday he defeated New Mexico̢۪s Graeme Kassautzki 6-1, 7-6.

“Rudy got off to a slow start, but he settled down and started to play his game,â€Â Udwadia said in a press release. “In the second set he played with a lot of hunger and confidence.â€Â