ASI struggles to fill frequent vacancies

Although it is past the deadline, Associated Students Inc., (ASI), is still accepting applications for three open positions.

The seats that need to be filled are the chief justice position and two associate justice positions of the Student Court.

The Student Court serves as the judicial branch of the student government.

The original deadline of Oct. 22 has been pushed back to Friday of this week to allow for more time to find more qualified candidates.

The open positions were recently vacated by two graduating students. One of the positions was in the middle of a hiring freeze, but was recently opened up again.

ASI Executive Vice President Stephen Trembley said it̢۪s a unique opportunity to serve in Fresno State̢۪s student government.

“It’s been a very special part of my life,â€Â Trembley said of serving. “I’ve enjoyed it.â€Â

Though the Student Court is fairly new, it interprets ASI bylaws, hears cases and mediates organizational affairs in leadership roles.

Being a current Fresno State student is the only prerequisite to apply for a position in the student government.

All three positions are unpaid and volunteer-based, Trembley said.

Applicants are interviewed by ASI President J.P. Moncayo and personnel committee. The president then submits a recommendation to be ratified by the personnel committee. If accepted, the recommended applicant will be offered the position.

ASI is also looking for volunteers to serve on the Election Commission as well as the position of election commissioner. The election commissioner is paid a $250 stipend, plus bonuses if election goals are met.

The Election Commission promotes and coordinates Fresno State̢۪s student body elections. The next election will be held April 8 to 10.

Though the positions are unpaid, Trembley said it is still worth it for students that want to make a difference, or are interested in interpreting bylaws.

“It’s a very special opportunity,â€Â Trembley said. “It’s nice to work on a daily basis to help make the quality of life on campus better.â€Â

ASI positions

How do I go about getting a position with ASI?

̢ۢTo apply for an ASI position, go to their website. Click on the application link for the position desired.

̢ۢ Interested candidates can also walk into the ASI offices, located in rooms 316 and 317 on the third floor of the University Student Union. Or call the office at 278-2656.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Soulja BoyOct 31, 2007 at 11:07 am

I’ll crack that superman—put me in as chief pimp

Soulja BoyOct 31, 2007 at 6:07 pm