A ‘liberal education’

BEN BAXTER’S ARTICLE in this Wednesday’s Collegian got me thinking, as his articles usually do. The article told us to “find a better job by bettering yourself,â€Â but I was disappointed that Baxter’s “a better jobâ€Â meant a better paying job, and his “bettering yourselfâ€Â just meant having basic time-management skills and tact.

I would like to suggest, by sharing some of my work experiences, that there is an alternate route, one where deep personal development results in a better experience on the job, and self-improvement is really the same as professional improvement.

This summer I left the world of office work behind and took on two new jobs: a position teaching the verbal section of the MCAT and the whole of the LSAT for the Princeton Review, and a job at a local tutoring center working mostly with elementary and high school students.

I had been teaching in some capacity since high school — guitar lessons, math tutoring, and more recently, helping University High students with their Latin — but those were just in-between jobs to fill the gaps in my schedule and get a little extra income.

My new jobs were to be my main source of income, and along with the increase in pay and hours came a tremendous increase in the number of my responsibilities.

For the first time I was standing in front of a class for as many as three hours and teaching everything I knew.

So what was teaching like? I̢۪ll start with the negative aspects first.

The very first thing I hated about being a teacher was how much time it took to prepare. When I first started my MCAT and LSAT classes, I would put in an hour of prep time for every hour of class time.

My lectures were a carefully conceived performance, and I practiced my color-coded lecture notes so thoroughly that I hardly needed them come class time.

Even with all that prep work, I still couldn̢۪t be assured of a successful class.

And this was the second big problem: there remained such daunting variables as questions, unexpected gaps in my understanding and students who couldn̢۪t seem to understand certain concepts no matter how thoroughly they were explained.

My notes were no help when a student couldn̢۪t grasp some fundamental principle, and explain as I might using all the examples and analogies in my toolbox, I couldn̢۪t always make everyone understand, and it made me feel awful.

But there were some students who got it, most of my students I like to think, and they made teaching more than worth the time and effort.

I have had few experiences more satisfying than helping one of my young students understand variables for the first time and watching him solve equations that only a short time before would have looked like complete gibberish.

One little girl I worked with recently was so happy to complete her first division problem that she proudly showed her work to her mother as soon as the lesson was done. Even my older students in the test-prep classes surprised me with their keen understanding and steady improvement.

The best part of all was that there was an almost direct correlation between the perfection of my understanding and the success of my students.

I tried my hardest to understand everything I taught and to anticipate what parts might be difficult for my students.

For the students who worked hard and trusted in my abilities as a teacher, coming to class became a fruitful experience, as I could see in their improved test scores and intellectual answerability.

An added bonus was that prep time dropped dramatically as I attained a deeper understanding of my teaching materials, and students enjoyed themselves more as I became more confident and experienced at answering questions.

So yes, Ben, perhaps we are products of the university, in a sense, but we̢۪re also human beings, and there are some parts of being human that transcend the world of work.

Teaching is a rare profession that equates personal development with professional development, and I encourage all those who aren̢۪t sure what to do with their lives just yet to think about a career in teaching.

Both teachers and students become better people through the task of understanding one another and the world around them, and teachers remain free of the work world̢۪s inhuman qualities while providing a definite personal and social good.

Maybe that̢۪s why it̢۪s called liberal education.

Timothy Ellison is a senior at Fresno State majoring in classical studies and getting a minor in English. He says he is tired of being a vegetarian, but is still going strong.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Charles W. FrankFeb 20, 2008 at 10:48 pm

Meh. Do both. Improve yourself for yourself, and you’ll always benefit from it in all walks of life (work, personal, relationships, etc…) Anything less is drab.

This is a poor retort from a poor interpretation of Ben’s article.

No kudos for you. Try again later. Maybe try “original” flavor instead of “retort” fried. Perspective is one of the best seasonings around. Statistics are sometimes a better seasoning, but it depends on the type of meat you’re trying to tenderize … and if you use the wrong seasoning, you might must make it tougher than you can understand chewing.

Charles W. FrankFeb 21, 2008 at 5:48 am

johnsvangOct 5, 2007 at 12:12 pm

Teaching is one of the most fullfilling jobs, although it is one of the least paid. It also requires the most training and certifications. I use to be a TA and it was one of the most fullfilling experiences I have had thus far.

johnsvangOct 5, 2007 at 7:12 pm

WhateverOct 5, 2007 at 10:06 am

Screw bosses. And screw work. Tim’s got the right idea. Do something fulfilling for yourself and for more than just your boss.

If the American Dream is having a bigger front yard than the assclown next door, I wonder what the American Nightmare is.

The office world heavily involves learning a bunch of crap you shouldn’t have to care about and trying to impress people (office hierarchy) you shouldn’t have to care about.

Let the brown-nosers handle that realm. I don’t want to waste my working life being a Grade A tool, regardless of the money that can come from being one.

And it’s good to see Tim speak from experience.

Of course people go to college for “money.” Many would probably say they actually LIVE for money if you word it properly.

WhateverOct 5, 2007 at 5:06 pm

Benjamin BaxterOct 5, 2007 at 9:28 am

The Collegian Staff Writer

It wasn’t my belief that students define better job as better-paying job, if you recall. There was that UCLA survey in the mix.

“Men are more likely than women to report that they are attending college to be able to make more money (73.5 percent vs. 69.0 percent for women).”

Moreover, bettering yourself in that column didn’t amount to much, but people have got to start somewhere. I can’t count how many times I hear people complaining about something ridiculous their boss said to them, although they were clearly in the wrong to begin with.

Why? They lacked basic tact or time-management skills.

Benjamin BaxterOct 5, 2007 at 4:28 pm

The Collegian Staff Writer