‘The era of cowboy diplomacy is over’

Democratic presidential front-runner Hillary Clinton draws a large crowd Monday during a rally at Fresno High School.  Clinton was making her first stop in Fresno as a presidential candidate.  The would-be first female commander-in-chief maintains a healthy lead in the polls over her fellow Democratic rivals, both in California and nationally.  Compared to states with earlier primaries, California has attracted relatively few presidential contenders this campaign season, and the Central Valley fewer still.
Andrew Riggs / The Collegian

Buttons, bundled babies and coffee — lots of it — were scattered among a crowd of thousands who heard presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton speak in central Fresno Monday morning.

“Are you ready for change?â€Â Clinton yelled at the beginning of her speech, against the backdrop of a giant American flag spread across the entrance of Fresno High School.

Clinton’s 30-minute speech was heard by an estimated 2,500 to 3,500 people, according to the Fresno Police Department. The young and the not so young came out to hear the energetic Clinton vow to end the war in Iraq, as well as “George Bush’s war on science.â€Â

Clinton outlined four major goals at Monday̢۪s event: restore America̢۪s leadership in the world, rebuild a strong middle class, reform the government and reclaim the future for children.

“The era of cowboy diplomacy is over,â€Â Clinton said, as signs that read “Clinton Countryâ€Â danced in the hands of the pumped-up crowd.

The New York senator discussed specific goals for the San Joaquin Valley, including improving the air quality, as well as statewide goals such as passing the DREAM Act, which would allow undocumented immigrant students to apply for financial aid currently for U.S. citizens only. The bill was recently vetoed by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Clinton̢۪s views on public education also include implementing universal pre-kindergarten and offering more apprentice programs.

“We are slamming the door on too many young people,â€Â Clinton said.

Clinton also stressed her idea that America needs quality, affordable health care for everyone and shared her vision of modernizing health care with electronic medical records. She said having electronic records would not only save time and potentially lives, but it could save $77 billion per year.

Fresno State juniors Jennifer Carlos and Priscila Villanueva woke up at 5:30 a.m. and arrived at 7 a.m. to see Clinton. Villanueva, a self-described Republican with some left-wing tendencies, even skipped a class to see Clinton.

Carlos, a philosophy and political science student, said she especially liked hearing about Clinton̢۪s health care plan. Carlos, who is from Canada, said Clinton̢۪s universal health care plan is something she really respects.

Both students said they didn̢۪t mind that Clinton̢۪s Fresno stop was at a high school and not at the Fresno State campus. They also didn̢۪t mind waiting until about 9:45 a.m. to hear her speak, even though the event was scheduled to take place from 8:15 a.m. until 9:30 a.m.

“We were cracking toward the end, but it was worth it,â€Â Villanueva said.

Porsha Gilbert had a different reason for seeing Clinton.

“Women have to support women,â€Â Gilbert said. The Fresno City College student likes Clinton because of an obvious fact: “We both have vaginas.â€Â

“I’m not a fan of Hillary,â€Â Fresno State English graduate student John Hernandez said. However, he still came to see her to offer “moral supportâ€Â for a friend as well as to hear more about her policies on the Iraq War and immigration.

“If she becomes president,â€Â Hernandez said, “how often do you see the president, especially if she’s a woman, speaking?â€Â

****

Comments may be used in the print edition of the newspaper. Be sure to pick up Friday̢۪s issue of The Collegian for featured comments.

The Collegian reserves the right to edit material for length, content, spelling and grammar, as well as the right to refuse publication of any material submitted. All material submitted to The Collegian becomes property of The Collegian.

$100
$500

$100
$500

WhateverOct 24, 2007 at 11:46 pm

Our version of investing in “protecting ourselves” is similar to buying 1,000 cows to cover dinner for the night.

They should call it the department of offense!

WhateverOct 25, 2007 at 6:46 am

Mike GreysonOct 24, 2007 at 8:40 pm

Right, cut defense spending…….we shouldn’t invest in protecting ourselves.

Mike GreysonOct 25, 2007 at 3:40 am

WhateverOct 24, 2007 at 4:48 pm

Just cut defense spending in half and do all kinds of crazy stuff!!

WhateverOct 24, 2007 at 11:48 pm

MichaelOct 24, 2007 at 4:09 pm

Hillary has been quoted ” America can’t afford all of my good ideas”

I agree!

MichaelOct 24, 2007 at 11:09 pm

I agree!

• F

FlashOct 24, 2007 at 3:36 pm

I agree with Mike about the DREAM act, finiancial aid is governement funds made up of American tax dollars and the aid is meant to help those in the country receive a higher education, and I don’t think it would be fair for someone not a citizen who hasn’t paid taxes in this country to have access to those funds. The preschool aspect is debatable but I second Mike’s point that it is uneccessary and really all preschool does is socialize kids with other kids, and that can be done in the home with siblings and nieghborhood kids, its really up to the parent. I’m sure advocating these acts isn’t benefiting Hilary’s campaign, but on the other hand at least she is standing up for something.

• F

FlashOct 24, 2007 at 10:36 pm

Mike GreysonOct 24, 2007 at 1:20 pm

Very positive article on Clinton. Is the author, by chance, a Clinton supporter?

While a majority of Americans likely support some moderate moves to implement new educational standards and program reforms, the DREAM Act and universal preschool seem to be attempts to push values that are held only my a slim minority.

And this might hurt her campaign in the long term. Why not make a post-grad degree the new high school diploma while we’re at it? I think everyone agrees that every TV repair man or women and janitor in the country should have at least a PhD.

Mike GreysonOct 24, 2007 at 8:20 pm