‘It was a quick little sting’

Holding a vial of influenza vaccine, university Health Center nurse Peggy Jackson is ready to administer flu immunization shots to students and faculty starting Oct. 23. Fresno State̢۪s flu season peaks in mid-December, just prior to semester finals.
Joseph Hollak / The Collegian

Approximately 200,000 people are hospitalized every year in the United States because of influenza, commonly known as the flu. An additional 36,000, most of those over 65-years-old, die from the disease annually.

Yet less than 200 Fresno State students — roughly 1 percent — will get vaccinated through a flu shot in a typical flu season.

The university Health Center will be offering flu shots for $20 to students and faculty starting Oct. 23.

“If you are concerned about getting the flu this season, definitely come in,â€Â staff physician Dr. Anthony J. Molina said.

Molina considers the flu season to be the months of November through February, with peak flu season in January — unless you’re a Fresno State student.

“[Fresno State’s] season peaks in mid-December, right before finals season,â€Â Molina said.

That̢۪s because the student and faculty population is typically away from campus for winter break in January.

The student population is most susceptible to the flu around finals for multiple reasons. Molina believes the high stress rates, poor diets and lack of exercise and sleep during finals all contribute to a lower defense immunity for some students.

Another contributing factor to an increased chance of infection is high-density living conditions, such as the dorms and multiple occupant apartments. The flu has an easier time of passing from one person to another if students are in close quarters and already weakened by the stress of finals.

Danielle Villalobos, 18, doesn̢۪t care to gamble this winter with getting the flu. The undeclared freshman has already received her flu shot for the winter.

“It was a quick little sting,â€Â Villalobos said of the shot patients receive in the arm.

Not a big fan of needles, Villalobos looked away during the process. As for any other downside associated with the shot, “I had a few days of soreness in my arm,â€Â Villalobos said.

Being sore in the muscle around the area of the shot is typical according to Peggy Jackson, a nurse with the Health Center. Jackson is experienced at administering the flu shot to students and hopes to be busy on and after Oct. 23 vaccinating students and faculty.

For those not in favor of a shot or needles, there is an alternative to the needle immunization in the form of a mist that is squirted and inhaled through the nasal cavity. The flu mist can be five times more expensive than the flu shot and can be less appropriate for certain segments of the population, especially those with breathing ailments such as asthma.

The Health Center anticipated little to no demand for such an expensive alternative that might be inappropriate for some, and thus will only offer the shot.

The fee for a flu shot this year is $20, which Molina considers to be inexpensive when compared to 10 to 15 days of continual fever, cough, chills, fatigue, muscle aches, sore throat and headache, or when compared to the cost of treating the flu with medication once contracted.

“An antiviral [treatment] can be given after diagnosis,â€Â Molina said. “A five-day treatment of Tamiflu will cost $80, roughly.â€Â

Get your flu shot

The Health Center will offer the flu shots on a first come, first serve basis. No appointments are necessary.

̢ۢ Immunizations start Oct. 23.

̢ۢ Hours will be from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and again from 1 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.

̢ۢ Cost: $20 for students and faculty.