Working women have it hard

I never really thought about how hard it is to be female sometimes.

While at a newspaper design seminar this weekend, I took a break from pretending to network with professionals to steal some fun-size candies from the huge bowl.

I walked past a nice young lady from another college̢۪s newspaper talking to a man from a Palm Springs paper.

I hear this conversation as I walk past.

“So, what are you doing tonight?â€Â Palm Springs asks.

“I’m sorry, I have a boyfriend,â€Â she says.

“Oh, not like that. I meant business,â€Â he says, nonetheless disappointed that she’s not quite single.

Men are pigs sometimes. I speak authoritatively, as I̢۪m usually one or both.

This wasn’t a bar, and she wasn’t wearing some floozy outfit. This was a professional conference — you’d think whoever she is could be taken seriously and not be hit on.

I thought that it̢۪s the beginning of the 21st century would have meant something. So far, it̢۪s not proving to be a whole lot different than the end of the 20th century.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• H

Heather BillingsSep 23, 2007 at 7:41 pm

As with men, the degree to which the “strong, risk-taking, adventuresome attitude” is present in women depends on the individual personality far more than the gender of the person. I know working women who cover murder trials for major newspapers, and I know men who are librarians.

As for getting hit on being flattering, it depends on how overt it is, and, yes, the creepiness of the dude. I had one fellow ask me outright if I were married “yet,” which is both too overt and too creepy.

Some of us do milk the biological differences for all they are worth. Again, it depends on how cutthroat we’re feeling.

• H

Heather BillingsSep 24, 2007 at 2:41 am

• H

howard g. buickSep 22, 2007 at 1:35 pm

I agree with McLovin—–society no longer values the strong, risk-taking, adventuresome attitude. Women are supreme in US society.

• H

howard g. buickSep 22, 2007 at 8:35 pm

McLovinSep 21, 2007 at 10:39 pm

I don’t know. seems we’re an overly feminized society in the 21st century. Men in the United States of America are weak sauce compared to 30 years ago. Soft as can be——we’ve gone soft, people.

McLovinSep 22, 2007 at 5:39 am

Benjamin BaxterSep 21, 2007 at 5:35 pm

I didn’t bother with the biological advantages. There’s not going to be a practical, affordable and effective way of equalizing that playing field for a long time, if ever.

I don’t force women to have periods or pregnancies, and as far as I’m concerned it gives women the upper hand in a healthy relationship.

I don’t say that with bitterness, though. That’s just how things are, and the way they’re going to stay.

Benjamin BaxterSep 22, 2007 at 12:35 am

• X

Xango VulviisSep 21, 2007 at 12:09 pm

I remember the Chris Rock line on sexual harassment:

‘Sexual harassment is when an ugly man wants some.’

In this example, she would have been amused only if the man was attractive.

• X

Xango VulviisSep 21, 2007 at 7:09 pm

• I

I ThinkSep 21, 2007 at 11:41 am

Obviously I don’t know, because I’m not a woman.. But I imagine being hit on is flattering in many situations, depending on the approach (and the creepiness of the dude).

I’m sure it can get annoying for a pretty girl to be oogled all day, and it can be really crappy if you work for pigs, but being pretty would probably be the least of my problems.

Seems like women already have enough biological disadvantages. That’s more what I would be worried about.

They can’t have children without compromising their careers immensely. And that’s not even counting regular annoyances like menstruation and yeast infections, which men don’t have to deal with directly.

As much as we all want equality, there is no way to change the fact that women have to give birth if they choose to have children.

• I

I ThinkSep 21, 2007 at 6:41 pm

Benjamin BaxterSep 21, 2007 at 10:44 am

Fair enough. I suppose, also, that the gender discrimination against women gets more press than gender discrimination against men.

Then again, does that mean it’s more common? I know plenty of women who’d say so, and plenty of men who’d disagree vehemently.

What do you think?

Benjamin BaxterSep 21, 2007 at 5:44 pm

What do you think?

danny noonanSep 21, 2007 at 8:46 am

Whatever……. call it a result of gender balance in the workforce. That situation can go either way. If the man turned down the woman, however, she’d consider him to be gay.

danny noonanSep 21, 2007 at 3:46 pm

• H

Heather BillingsSep 20, 2007 at 8:52 pm

Oh, the stories I could tell would make Palm Springs look like an angel. And I’m not a bar-hopping floozy, either.

But seriously, what is up with you and stealing candy from unprotected bowls?

• H

Heather BillingsSep 21, 2007 at 3:52 am