WEB-SPE@K: What do you think of the new Timeout?

s_0901_fball_sacst_1658.jpg
Timeout’s new look was revealed at Saturday’s football game. The Fresno State mascot has undergone a dramatic facelift.

Is it for better or worse? You decide!

Comments may be used in the print edition of the newspaper. Be sure to pick up next Friday̢۪s issue of The Collegian for featured comments.

The Collegian reserves the right to edit material for length, content, spelling and grammar, as well as the right to refuse publication of any material submitted. All material submitted to The Collegian becomes property of The Collegian.

174
$100
$500

$100
$500

• G

Go SpartansJul 29, 2008 at 11:01 pm

A few friends went to fresno and one asked me to vote for the old dog. I am so sorry.

• G

Go SpartansJul 30, 2008 at 6:01 am

• N

New Timeout!Jul 28, 2008 at 1:52 pm

I AM TIMEOUT FOOL! || ||
    |||||||
    || ||
    |||||
    Get Used to IT!

• N

New Timeout!Jul 28, 2008 at 8:52 pm

I AM TIMEOUT FOOL! || ||
    |||||||
    || ||
    |||||
    Get Used to IT!

DudeJul 28, 2008 at 12:13 pm

“I’m Awesome and you’re Not! That’s why I came to being and the Old one died of old age… No worries, I’ll be here to stay and that’s the Fresno State way! 🙂 😛 ;P :D”

Hey Dufus, did you read what you wrote? Of course not…

First of all, if you were here to stay then why is the U having a vote this week? Or is it all in the bag for you anyway and this is just a fan pacification scheme they have going on?

And secondly… If that were “the Fresno State way” we wouldn’t have gotten your Bob-Dog looking self in the first place! We’d still have Timeout!

DudeJul 28, 2008 at 7:13 pm

• N

New Timeout!Jul 28, 2008 at 7:47 am

I’m Awesome and you’re Not! That’s why I came to being and the Old one died of old age… No worries, I’ll be here to stay and that’s the Fresno State way! 🙂 😛 ;P 😀

• N

New Timeout!Jul 28, 2008 at 2:47 pm

DiegoJul 27, 2008 at 7:28 pm

The new Timeout is gayer than Richard Simmons. Bring back the old one!!!!!!!!!!!!

DiegoJul 28, 2008 at 2:28 am

MarkJul 27, 2008 at 7:12 pm

As an alumni who fills the stands, I believe alumni should also have been heard on this subject, TimeOut was a beloved character with a lot of tradition. Now there is going to be a vote and hopefully Paul Ladwig is not the one counting them. Let’s get rid of the embarrassing gopher and bring back TimeOut, and as for the naysayers that act like changing the mascot was no big deal, they would probably not mind if a new American flag was brought out in pink and purple.

MarkJul 28, 2008 at 2:12 am

Bulldog till the day i'm deadDec 1, 2007 at 2:14 pm

Hey I kno That guy who said he was a utah state fan. He’s my friend. He likes Fresno State And Utah State. So Sorry for the inconvience.

Bulldog till the day i'm deadDec 1, 2007 at 9:14 pm

Bulldog till the day i'm deadDec 1, 2007 at 2:03 pm

Doesn’t look like a bulldog at all. Looks like some one you would find at disneyland. What a disgrace to the athletics, to the fan base, and the WHOLE NATION!

Bulldog till the day i'm deadDec 1, 2007 at 9:03 pm

• H

Heather BillingsNov 12, 2007 at 5:58 pm

The Collegian Staff Comment

Nondisclosure of e-mail is a common method of preventing spambots from harvesting e-mail addresses from public forums. It’s not a “right to anonymity.” Nowhere on this site is such a right granted.

In any case, putting words in people’s mouths (in this case, fans from Utah State) is completely different from posting anonymously.

His full email and his identity were not disclosed, and cannot be determined from what I posted here. I will check with my superiors on this point, but if I’d thought I were violating policy, I would obviously not have posted.

One of the attributes of “real live journalists” is a passion for truth. If I see someone being deliberately misleading, I’m going to do something about it if I can.

• H

Heather BillingsNov 13, 2007 at 12:58 am

The Collegian Staff Comment

DudeNov 11, 2007 at 12:44 pm

E-Mail (won’t be published)

Hey, Heather, even though you may have busted utah state fan don’t you think you violated policy by revealing at least a portion of his email address, as well as his privacy and his right to comment anonymously? I mean, you don’t require real live identification?

Might want to rethink your post next time if you expect to grow up to be a real live journalist…

Or not and go to work for the AD…

DudeNov 11, 2007 at 7:44 pm

E-Mail (won’t be published)

Or not and go to work for the AD…

• H

Heather BillingsNov 11, 2007 at 11:25 am

The Collegian Online Staff

Hey, utah state fan, it’s nice to know you like Fresno State football enough to include “fsbulldogs” in your email address. That’s really sporting of you.

• H

Heather BillingsNov 11, 2007 at 6:25 pm

The Collegian Online Staff

• U

utah state fanNov 10, 2007 at 12:08 pm

I am a Utah State fan and when I came out to Bulldog stadium last week, your new mascot didn’t look anything like a bulldog. I agree with all the other mad fresno state fans, they really need to change the mascot.

• U

utah state fanNov 10, 2007 at 7:08 pm

dog fanNov 10, 2007 at 12:03 pm

that smiling chipmunk is a discrace to the whole university! They really need to get rid of him! and tht Ladwig punk,too!

dog fanNov 10, 2007 at 7:03 pm

WhinersNov 7, 2007 at 10:06 am

stop your crying and whining….sound like a bunch of 2 year olds. The new mascot does look a little funky, but it is always work in progress, morons.

WhinersNov 7, 2007 at 5:06 pm

• F

FIRE PAUL LADWIG!Nov 6, 2007 at 6:48 pm

What in hells name was Paul Lagwig thinking??!? It doesnt look anything like the bulldogs on the logos. it doesnt even look like a bulldog!!…….the athletic department screwd up again!

• F

FIRE PAUL LADWIG!Nov 7, 2007 at 1:48 am

Bulldog faithfullNov 6, 2007 at 6:45 pm

Worst mascot ever!!! If they were going to change it, at least make it look like a bulldog and not a chipmunk. Ladwig is the worst!!! Fire ladwig and change the timeout!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bulldog faithfullNov 7, 2007 at 1:45 am

DudeNov 4, 2007 at 5:29 pm

anonymous, on September 25th, 2007 at 4:33 pm Said:

Stop your whining! Grow up and stop typing insults, and if you’re attending Fresno State, you’re only insulting yourself. Think first before you open your mouth……

Great Job, Paul!

DudeNov 5, 2007 at 12:29 am

Great Job, Paul!

DudeNov 4, 2007 at 2:52 pm

The Athletic Department seems to be headed in a direction all their own… with no regard for the Fresno State Fanbase (I’m surprised they don’t push the CSU-Fresno thing!).

For instance-

Not saying beer sales was a good thing but they eliminated the beer sales contract with time left on it although the CSU system allowed them to retain the contract until it died out (SJSU kept theirs). Meanwhile alcohol is allowed to be served in the FSU Skyboxes!

Eliminating the wrestling program even though it had it’s own supporters, including some guy named Lorenzo Neal!

Modifying the Four Paw last season and adding the Bling-Bling look.

Eliminating Valley residents access to the famed Green V. Well, once again, that is not entirely true… you can buy into the Green V for $10K and seat options!

Changing Timeout and then justifying what they did so that it suits their desires… no argument here that Timeout needed updating but TWO Timeout costumes @ $15K a piece when we can’t get upgrades to Bulldog Stadium?

Listen, most people would agree that the old Timeout was dated and needed updating/modernizing but the new Timeout shouldn’t look like a Chipmunk staring into headlights!

Why can’t the AD admit that they made a mistake judging what the residents wanted and correct it? WHy go around arresting/ stifling people who have something opposite to say? Paul, the “I was just following orders” defense didn;t work in Nuernburg so don’t bank you paycheck on it working here!

DudeNov 4, 2007 at 9:52 pm

For instance-

chadNov 4, 2007 at 2:11 pm

First of all what is it? A bear?
    Cat? Dog? Cougar? I agree that Timeout needed a minor change, but I was
    thinking the costume needed to be washed not it̢۪s specie change. That thing is so ugly!!! Bring back timeout.

chadNov 4, 2007 at 9:11 pm

First of all what is it? A bear?
    thinking the costume needed to be washed not it’s specie change. That thing is so ugly!!! Bring back timeout.

• K

kookooyNov 4, 2007 at 1:51 pm

WTF is that thing??? It’s not a bulldog….. Get rid of this thing and that clown Ladwig too!!!

• K

kookooyNov 4, 2007 at 8:51 pm

• F

Fresno State fanNov 4, 2007 at 8:39 pm

HORRIBLE! Not even close to what a bulldog looks like! Bring the Old timeout back!!!!!!!!

• F

Fresno State fanNov 4, 2007 at 1:39 pm

MichaelNov 4, 2007 at 1:37 pm

I don’t lilke the new timeout! But then again the old one looked like a piece of crap. I’d chuck the new timeout costume and focus on something that acually looks like a Bulldog! Oh and Paul Ladwig is a joke. He is an alumni of the Ohio Bobcats, well he made our mascot look like a bobcat! EITHER CHANGE THE MASCOT LOOK OR FIRE LADWIG!!! Because both of them are a joke!

MichaelNov 4, 2007 at 8:37 pm

JeremyNov 4, 2007 at 1:08 pm

I am copying and pasting these comments to Paul Ladwig himself and I will post his response. What do you think Paul. We have showed you overwhelming support to change timeout back!!! WHy dont you work with us. ?

JeremyNov 4, 2007 at 8:08 pm

• E

Eric NeufeldOct 25, 2007 at 8:37 pm

They definitely should have taken a poll or something.

They did the same thing with WIld Thing for the Fresno Grizzlies and turned the mascot into some kids show yellow giant Pooh bear with a highlighted face.

The name of the team is the Fresno GRIZZLIES.

And the name of the team is Fresno State Bulldogs and their mascot is TIMEOUT.

• E

Eric NeufeldOct 26, 2007 at 3:37 am

Jack PorterOct 23, 2007 at 5:40 pm

The thing looks more like a bobcat than a bulldog. What the heck our they thinking? If the athletic corporation wants to do what is right they will bring back the REAL Time Out during the last home game and have him throw that Puddi-Cat out of the stadium.

Jack PorterOct 24, 2007 at 12:40 am

Jenn E.Oct 10, 2007 at 12:17 pm

O.k. we get it – everyone likes the old Timeout!!!! But please, all this negative drama over it is downright childish. The new Timeout appears to be here to stay so get a grip and get over it. Most importantly, get a life. You’re here to get an education, not to whine about the school mascot!

Jenn E.Oct 10, 2007 at 7:17 pm

AshleaOct 9, 2007 at 8:02 pm

He looks like Bob from Enzyte.

AshleaOct 10, 2007 at 3:02 am

He looks like Bob from Enzyte.

MarcSep 30, 2007 at 8:15 pm

New mascot….bad decision! You can’t just change tradition on a whim! Perhaps if you involved the students in the possibility of updating “timeout” it might not seem like such a slap in the face. Who’s school is this anyway!?!

MarcOct 1, 2007 at 3:15 am

Jacob PierceSep 29, 2007 at 7:00 pm

Looks like crap…

Jacob PierceSep 30, 2007 at 2:00 am

Looks like crap…

• V

VioletMessesSep 29, 2007 at 1:36 am

The new suit is nicer, but people just don’t like drastic change.

If they just dyed the suit gray,….I think we’d all be okay.

• V

VioletMessesSep 29, 2007 at 8:36 am

SAVETIMEOUTSep 28, 2007 at 12:02 pm

Its horrible. They need to fix in now. If you want to help us in our efforts to get Timeout back please friend us on myspace at http://www.myspace.com/savetimeout

SAVETIMEOUTSep 28, 2007 at 7:02 pm

ChaseSep 27, 2007 at 12:35 am

Why weren’t there a poll or something asking for student input about mascot change and how to update or change its look….we are part of this university…we should have a say!!!!

ChaseSep 27, 2007 at 7:35 am

Alfred Torres IIISep 26, 2007 at 7:44 pm

While I don’t necessarily like the new mascot outfit, I think people need to realize that there IS a person under the bulldog. I see people talking trash about the mascot because they don’t like how it looks, or how it portrays Fresno State. But that does not mean that students can go to it and harass whomever is under there. I have to tip my hat to the person who dons the new bulldog outfit, because they are having to take heat from BOTH sides of the field. All I have to say to him/her is “You have more guts than most people I know. Hang in there!”

I know our mascot is having a “Fashion Crisis,” but athletics should be focusing on bigger issues, like proper delegation of funds… NOT ways to change our mascot, which NEVER was asked for by any of the students.

Alfred Torres IIISep 27, 2007 at 2:44 am

Benjamin BaxterSep 26, 2007 at 3:03 pm

I don’t think they’re picking on the person inside the costume, but the costume itself, with no thought to that there’s even a person involved.

Benjamin BaxterSep 26, 2007 at 10:03 pm

MSep 26, 2007 at 3:01 pm

Are people really needing something to complain about so much that they have to pick on a person dressed up in a costume? I mean really, how pathetic. I don’t really care either way what the mascot looks like. Old or new. Things change and quite frankly, you can’t think that complaining all the live long day will do anything. All you are doing is making whoever is inside that hot suit feel unwanted. It wasn’t his fault, and there is nothing you can do to change that. So get over it.

MSep 26, 2007 at 10:01 pm

Tim 'toolman' AllenSep 26, 2007 at 10:52 am

Did someone say Shaggy Dog?

Tim 'toolman' AllenSep 26, 2007 at 5:52 pm

Did someone say Shaggy Dog?

anonymousSep 25, 2007 at 4:33 pm

anonymousSep 25, 2007 at 11:33 pm

Benjamin ChongSep 21, 2007 at 6:06 am

Did someone merge Minnie Mouse and Timeout into one? No wonder the Bulldogs are losing football games!!

Benjamin ChongSep 21, 2007 at 1:06 pm

• X

Xango VulviisSep 20, 2007 at 9:13 pm

sucks big time. Awful concept for a mascot. Almost as lame as the outdated four pawed Bulldog logo.

• X

Xango VulviisSep 20, 2007 at 2:13 pm

• E

EricSep 17, 2007 at 9:42 am

I think that this new mascot is someone’s attempt to bring back the old anti-drug ads of the eighties and this new mascot is the example of a mascot on ecstasy or something. OK. I get it, say no to drugs! Now bring out the real replacement please. Before some one tries to have this one committed for being either a substance abuser or being diagnose as being a manic depressive (because I would not be surprised if he goes back to the locker for a crying jag). Of course, there is the evil twin scenario, but even the marketing department wouldn’t go that low.

• E

EricSep 17, 2007 at 4:42 pm

DanielSep 15, 2007 at 8:13 pm

I dont think Time out should have been changed. Whats wrong with Fresno we are changing all our sports Mascots, The Grizzlies New Mascot looks like a shaggy dog, and Falcons Mascot looks like a pigeon. Bring back the old timeout!

DanielSep 16, 2007 at 3:13 am

SabrinaSep 14, 2007 at 2:11 pm

Okay…let me get a better understanding of this…

many of the fans-many of them being yourselves-have complained of the old timeout looking weak and frumpy…

oh and let me get this straight…

many have also said that they “wished we had a better mascot,” some have even gone so far as to say “I wish we had a REAL mascot (whatever that means), like some of the other colleges and universities.”

And now you see the new one and you complain that he is ugly, not the right color, blah, blah, blah…

I am an alumni of this school and of this school’s marching band and for year’s the band has had to carry…YES CARRY!, the traditions of this school. And even in this present day, they still do. The band does all the chanting, yelling, screaming, cheering the team on (even when they are losing), getting the so called fans hyped…oh and don’t forget, actually performing the whole game from start to finish, and all you can do is complain about the way our mascot looks?

Then you say the traditions are fading away… HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?
    The traditions are carried by the fans that attend the games and actually PARTICIPATE (beyond just screaming nonsense) in the stands.

The traditions are not carried by those who just sit on there lazy behinds and watch the game, scream and holler only when our team is winning, leave early when we are losing, yell obscene things to our players when they don’t perform like they think they should, oh and not watching the band when they perform pre-game or half-time…need I say more.

I support my team and school with pride. I don’t wish to go to San Jose State (who the heck would want to anyway) and I do not wish to be anywhere else.

No school is perfect (but many are better then us currently, at least traditional wise). But if you want to build the traditions then get on you lazy feet and support our team regardless of the circumstance (win or lose). Our Fresno State Bulldog marching band and cheerleaders do a wonderful job at this…maybe you all should follow in there foot steps. I’ve seen more audience participation and enthusiasm at high school football games then I have at Fresno State.

I bet most of you don’t even know the words to the fight song or the alma mater. Half of you act like you don’t know how to spell “Fresno” when the band yells it out. And you want to complain about an ugly bulldog costume? Get a life.

You ought to be ashamed. Really.

Bulldog marching Band, Cheerleaders, and Mascot (Ugly or other wise…I know you had no say in the design of your costume…poor time out). Keep up the good work that many of our fans think that they are to good to do. Thank you for supporting our team and GO DOGS!!!! BEAT THE DUCKS AND FEED THE BAND!!!!!!!!

SabrinaSep 14, 2007 at 9:11 pm

oh and let me get this straight…

You ought to be ashamed. Really.

DanSep 14, 2007 at 6:46 am

I suspect the change had more to do with Operation Bulldog than marketing gimmicks. The new Timeout is part of the strategy to deemphasize the “other Bulldogs.”

The change from the snarling dog’s face to the “four paw” Bulldog was made at the behest of local law enforcement. The Bulldog street gang has adopted the “four paw” as their new emblem.

A friend mentioned to me the other day that the best-selling color of Bulldogs clothing at the Kennel isn’t red, it’s brown. People don’t want to be confused with the street gang–it could get them arrested or shot.

DanSep 14, 2007 at 1:46 pm

Sarah SoghomonianSep 13, 2007 at 3:54 pm

OMG—this is so sad. Bring back the old Time Out! It is nice that the university finally bought Time-Out a new costume, but why change the look so dramatically? It doesn’t even look like a bulldog! I miss the gray shade and the fun yet mean face of the old Time-Out. He WAS a Fresno State! Changing the look of Time-Out goes against tradition! What a shame!

Sarah SoghomonianSep 13, 2007 at 10:54 pm

• F

Frank PuccioSep 13, 2007 at 2:45 pm

Fresno State Students, Alumni and Fans-

I’m a recent Fresno State Alum. I currently live 300+ miles away but plan on attending EVERY Fresno State home game this year. I’ve supported my team throughout the years. I’ve been on the road to Boise, Los Angeles, Baton Rouge, Eugene, Corvallis, San Jose, Reno, and a variety of other locales along the way to support my team. However, it’s a sad state of affairs at Fresno State and it’s not because of the football team’s performance last year. Every tradition we have at Fresno State is being erased and, unfortunately—for a school with very little tradition that has been carried on throughout the years—this is very alarming.

Keep in mind that all of the following has happened in the last four years. When we moved into the Save Mart Center there were no flashing lights and no team running around the court before introductions. The fireworks, Dance Team and our student section at football games? All either gone or moved to the cheap seats. The introduction of Victor E. Bulldog? Please. Turn the lights out on Boise State? How bout we let the Red Wave roll out in full force instead? As much as I hate the Bulldog Bounce, where was it against Sac State? Wrestling, soccer, swimming and diving? Enough said. Why do we want to be like San Jose State and eliminate all of the tradition and the little oddities that make our school, Fresno State, well, Fresno State? Let̢۪s build on our traditions, not eliminate them!

All things considered though, Timeout was the worst blow. That dog represents Fresno State just about as well as David Carr does…and we gave him the axe! I was originally put off by the thought they would even think of minor changes to our beloved friend. Then I saw the monstrosity that is the new Timeout and almost left the stadium…and I never leave the stadium.

I understand the need for a modern costume with a cooling system that is made of material that can breathe but this new mascot should have been made to look like our old Timeout. With enough angry letters and a campaign to get Timeout—our Timeout—back, we can make this happen. My friends and I were all disgusted by what we saw. I urge all Fresno State Students, Alums and Fans to write letters to John Welty and Thomas Boeh to remedy this great blunder by Fresno State Marketing.

-Frank Puccio
    Fresno State – 2005 Graduate

• F

Frank PuccioSep 13, 2007 at 9:45 pm

Fresno State Students, Alumni and Fans-

I’m a recent Fresno State Alum. I currently live 300+ miles away but plan on attending EVERY Fresno State home game this year. I’ve supported my team throughout the years. I’ve been on the road to Boise, Los Angeles, Baton Rouge, Eugene, Corvallis, San Jose, Reno, and a variety of other locales along the way to support my team. However, it’s a sad state of affairs at Fresno State and it’s not because of the football team’s performance last year. Every tradition we have at Fresno State is being erased and, unfortunately””for a school with very little tradition that has been carried on throughout the years””this is very alarming.

Keep in mind that all of the following has happened in the last four years. When we moved into the Save Mart Center there were no flashing lights and no team running around the court before introductions. The fireworks, Dance Team and our student section at football games? All either gone or moved to the cheap seats. The introduction of Victor E. Bulldog? Please. Turn the lights out on Boise State? How bout we let the Red Wave roll out in full force instead? As much as I hate the Bulldog Bounce, where was it against Sac State? Wrestling, soccer, swimming and diving? Enough said. Why do we want to be like San Jose State and eliminate all of the tradition and the little oddities that make our school, Fresno State, well, Fresno State? Let’s build on our traditions, not eliminate them!

I understand the need for a modern costume with a cooling system that is made of material that can breathe but this new mascot should have been made to look like our old Timeout. With enough angry letters and a campaign to get Timeout””our Timeout””back, we can make this happen. My friends and I were all disgusted by what we saw. I urge all Fresno State Students, Alums and Fans to write letters to John Welty and Thomas Boeh to remedy this great blunder by Fresno State Marketing.

-Frank Puccio
    Fresno State – 2005 Graduate

StephanieSep 13, 2007 at 1:56 pm

So glad I graduated, I think they upgraded “Timeout” in a different direction.

StephanieSep 13, 2007 at 8:56 pm

JulietteSep 13, 2007 at 7:34 am

In response to solution…

I agree. I’m halfway tempted to boycott our ASI fees. First, they allowed faculty, staff and alumni the use of our STUDENT rec center. Now, they buy this thing.

Come on, guys. Our faith is waning.

JulietteSep 13, 2007 at 2:34 pm

In response to solution…

Come on, guys. Our faith is waning.

solutionSep 12, 2007 at 4:21 pm

Here is an idea…ASI is the voice of the students right? And we pay $29 a semester whether their programs benefit us or not right? ASI do you want to serve your students? Buy a new mascot that looks more like the old Time Out. You have plenty of money with all of the programs you have cut. And I do believe that you purchased the last Time Out back in 2002.

solutionSep 12, 2007 at 11:21 pm

JoeSep 12, 2007 at 2:50 pm

The new timeout looks a hell of a lot closer to the logo than the old one. If you guys hate Fresno State so much – transfer somewhere losers. Timeout rules! (the new one)!

JoeSep 12, 2007 at 9:50 pm

CandySep 12, 2007 at 11:31 am

I miss the old Timeout! Bring him back!!!!

CandySep 12, 2007 at 6:31 pm

Davis CarrSep 10, 2007 at 2:05 pm

turd sandwich

Davis CarrSep 10, 2007 at 9:05 pm

turd sandwich

• H

HarrisonSep 8, 2007 at 5:52 pm

The original Timeout is what everybody recognizes and identifies with our school. I remember seeing the new timeout walking down the stands and was appalled! I understand the old Timeout’s costume is worn and dirty but go ahead and make a NEW high quality one with little tweaks here and there to make it outstanding! There is no excuse possible for this abomination. Hope you saved the receipt! Fans and students hate this!

• H

HarrisonSep 9, 2007 at 12:52 am

danny noonanSep 8, 2007 at 9:40 am

Frank Puccio comin’ back strong!!!???

But Pete LoDuca——no jokes about you going to San Jose State. That is a glorified community college. They are not and will never be on our level. We are an academic institution (at least at the instructor, professor and student level—on the other hand our admin. is as corrupt as one can imagine). Send a message loud and clear—-this is the last in a long line of, as Greyson would say, debacles and injustices committed against the student body. Welty, Boeh, Ladwig, and other members of the campus’ old boys network need to be given the heave-ho!!!

Enough already!

danny noonanSep 8, 2007 at 4:40 pm

Frank Puccio comin’ back strong!!!???

Enough already!

danny noonanSep 8, 2007 at 9:16 am

NO NEW AND IMPROVED TIMEOUT, NO TO CAMPUS POINTE, EXTENDED LIBRARY AND COMPUTER LAB HOURS IMMEDIATELY, REINSTATE WRESTLING AND MEN’S SOCCER, BRING BEER BACK TO BULLDOG STADIUM, CLEAN UP THE CAMPUS………………..

danny noonanSep 8, 2007 at 4:16 pm

• K

KarenSep 8, 2007 at 7:07 am

Bring back last year’s TIMEOUT, please??!!

It’s just not the same. Face, teeth, etc. It just doesn’t work.

• K

KarenSep 8, 2007 at 2:07 pm

JustinSep 7, 2007 at 7:26 pm

Let’s call him “Mistake” …he can sit next to Steve Cleveland on the bench at basketball games

JustinSep 8, 2007 at 2:26 am

• F

FrankSep 7, 2007 at 5:33 pm

Fresno State Students, Alumni and Fans-

I’m a recent Fresno State Alum. I currently live 300+ miles away but plan on attending EVERY Fresno State home game this year. I’ve supported my team throughout the years. I’ve been on the road to Boise, Los Angeles, Manhattan, Baton Rouge, Eugene, Corvallis, San Jose, Reno, and a variety of other locales along the way to support my team. However, it’s a sad state of affairs at Fresno State and it’s not because of the football team. Every tradition we have at Fresno State is being erased and, unfortunately—for a school with very little tradition that has been carried on throughout the years—this is very alarming.

Keep in mind that all of the following has happened in the last four years. When we moved into the Save Mart Center there were no flashing lights and no team running around the court before introductions. The fireworks, Dance Team and our student section at football games? All either gone or moved to the cheap seats. The introduction of Victor E. Bulldog? Please. Turn the lights out on Boise State? How bout we let the Red Wave roll out in full force instead? As much as I hate the Bulldog Bounce, where was it against Sac State? Wrestling, soccer, swimming and diving? Enough said. Why do we want to be like San Jose State and eliminate all of the little oddities that make our school, Fresno State, well, Fresno State? Let̢۪s build on our traditions, not eliminate them!

-Frank Puccio
    Fresno State, 2005 Graduate

• F

FrankSep 8, 2007 at 12:33 am

Fresno State Students, Alumni and Fans-

I’m a recent Fresno State Alum. I currently live 300+ miles away but plan on attending EVERY Fresno State home game this year. I’ve supported my team throughout the years. I’ve been on the road to Boise, Los Angeles, Manhattan, Baton Rouge, Eugene, Corvallis, San Jose, Reno, and a variety of other locales along the way to support my team. However, it’s a sad state of affairs at Fresno State and it’s not because of the football team. Every tradition we have at Fresno State is being erased and, unfortunately””for a school with very little tradition that has been carried on throughout the years””this is very alarming.

Keep in mind that all of the following has happened in the last four years. When we moved into the Save Mart Center there were no flashing lights and no team running around the court before introductions. The fireworks, Dance Team and our student section at football games? All either gone or moved to the cheap seats. The introduction of Victor E. Bulldog? Please. Turn the lights out on Boise State? How bout we let the Red Wave roll out in full force instead? As much as I hate the Bulldog Bounce, where was it against Sac State? Wrestling, soccer, swimming and diving? Enough said. Why do we want to be like San Jose State and eliminate all of the little oddities that make our school, Fresno State, well, Fresno State? Let’s build on our traditions, not eliminate them!

-Frank Puccio
    Fresno State, 2005 Graduate

Benjamin BaxterSep 7, 2007 at 5:20 pm

Woah, Pete DeLuca. Woah.

I think you went a little too far there.

Benjamin BaxterSep 8, 2007 at 12:20 am

Woah, Pete DeLuca. Woah.

Justin DervishianSep 7, 2007 at 5:13 pm

What a joke

Please fire all responsible parties

Justin DervishianSep 8, 2007 at 12:13 am

What a joke

Please fire all responsible parties

• P

Peter FloresSep 7, 2007 at 4:54 pm

All i ask is why???? Why Fresno State??? WHY????

• P

Peter FloresSep 7, 2007 at 11:54 pm

• P

Pete DeLucaSep 7, 2007 at 4:51 pm

I miss the old timeout!! Im so sad now, this upsets me tremedously, the new timeout stinks and i cant believe this is what were stuck with. I wish i went to San Jose State.

• P

Pete DeLucaSep 7, 2007 at 11:51 pm

samSep 7, 2007 at 4:35 pm

bring old timeout back,but buff him up a little .

samSep 7, 2007 at 11:35 pm

• R

RyanSep 7, 2007 at 3:58 pm

http://csufresno.facebook.com/group.php?gid=5022907258

Join the group to get our old mascot back

🙁

• R

RyanSep 7, 2007 at 10:58 pm

🙁

JDSep 7, 2007 at 3:27 pm

the new mascot was a huge swing and a miss. why didn’t the geniuses who came up with this drastic change run it by any focus groups or sample audiences.

it’s called market research. you know, the things they teach you to do in big-boy COLLEGE when you’re making a big change like this.

JDSep 7, 2007 at 10:27 pm

Angela MoroSep 7, 2007 at 10:46 am

Ewwww he’s so ugly. It doesn’t look like a dog let alone a bulldog. Bring back the old timeout!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Angela MoroSep 7, 2007 at 5:46 pm

• E

Elliott AhajanianSep 7, 2007 at 10:10 am

I would like to start a fundraiser in order to bring TimeOut back. That thing is not TimeOut and I will not call it that until either the old one is brought back or we put enough money together to purchase one that looks more like the old TimeOut, but with all the characteristics Mr. Paul idiot Ladwig wants.

• E

Elliott AhajanianSep 7, 2007 at 5:10 pm

ChrisSep 7, 2007 at 10:04 am

Correction from the message above:

The man responsible for this abomination is Paul Ladwig. His email address is [email protected]

Thank you.

ChrisSep 7, 2007 at 5:04 pm

Correction from the message above:

Thank you.

ChrisSep 7, 2007 at 10:03 am

please send him a not-so-friendly note to let him know that he killed one of the most beloved mascots in college sports!! I really hope that the Athletics department and Paul Ladwig in particular are listing to all this public outrage over the “new” TimeOut.

ChrisSep 7, 2007 at 5:03 pm

• P

PoochieSep 7, 2007 at 9:57 am

i do remember the old gray time out’s inflatable tongue, but he had it ripped out during a tussle with a rival mascot …

the old Time Out was out of shape, saggy and lacked hussle so i say good riddance

but the new Time Out? meh … i hope he’s a work in progress

• P

PoochieSep 7, 2007 at 4:57 pm

Todd GaakSep 7, 2007 at 9:54 am

we can do the dual mascot thing. This new Timeout doesn’t necessarily have to be eliminated—–just bring the old gray, pot-bellied, whoopee-cushioned tounge thing back to life and make him #1. This new thing is purely #2—–literally.

Todd GaakSep 7, 2007 at 4:54 pm

Matt HelonSep 7, 2007 at 9:23 am

I grew up in Fresno, as a kid I went to Fresno State sporting events and the first thing I looked for was Timeout. I loved Timeout, everything about him was perfect. He used to have a wrinkly head, Fresno State changed that, he used to have a big red whoopee cushion tongue, Fresno State changed that, he used to have a pot belly, Fresno State put him on the Atkins diet, but through all those changes I could still see the Timeout that I loved. Through all Timeouts makeovers he still had his attitude and that’s what makes Timeout (the classic grey one) the best mascot in college sports. This new change to our mascot (notice I won’t call him by Timeouts name he is NOT Timeout) is too much. Timeout was classic, he did not need an update, he was one of us and we loved him for it. I went to Fresno State as an undergrad because I loved Fresno State Athletics and I wanted to be able to root for the programs as a Fresno State student. Just this semester I came back to Fresno State in the MBA program and I was so excited to be a Fresno State Student again. I love you Fresno State, I have been there in good times and bad, I have traveled to Football and Basketball games all over the USA, but taking away my Timeout is crossing the line. This is something that I can never forgive you for, if this mistake is not corrected you have lost a die hard fan. Don’t get me wrong I will still come and cheer for the team but I will not spend every waking moment worrying about the next game, when someone starts talking bad about Fresno State I won’t defend you, and when your new mascot is on the field I will boo, and know that when we fans are booing we are not booing the mascot we are booing you Fresno State.

Matt HelonSep 7, 2007 at 4:23 pm

bulldogsSep 7, 2007 at 7:29 am

i don’t k now what he looks like besides crap. he is ugly!!

bulldogsSep 7, 2007 at 2:29 pm

• H

Heather BillingsSep 6, 2007 at 11:08 pm

While I agree that it doesn’t really look like a bulldog, I don’t think it’s as awful as everyone’s making it out to be. Probably the worst part about it, for me, at least, is that I have absolutely no nostalgic feelings attached to it. My subconscious will never recognize it as my alma mater’s mascot.

I would have much rather seen a Timeout that was a slight update of the old one. When did we ever have a brown Bulldog logo? At least the grey approximated the white while still being a practical mascot color.

But it’s good to know athletics is trying. Honestly, the old Timeout looked rather worn and a little dated. Plus, the new outfit is much nicer than the old one.

• H

Heather BillingsSep 7, 2007 at 6:08 am

disappointedSep 6, 2007 at 10:51 pm

it looks like the dog in Duck Hunt the old Nintendo game lol!!!! Horrible.. change it… or bring back the old one!!!

disappointedSep 7, 2007 at 5:51 am

• F

FS StudentSep 6, 2007 at 9:10 pm

I liked the old one better….it looks more like whats pictured…and it was the same color. This new one just looks like some random cartoon character…Just make the old Timeout better…not replace him with something thats just silly!!!

• F

FS StudentSep 7, 2007 at 4:10 am

• K

Kill it...NOWSep 6, 2007 at 8:52 pm

One word: BAD.

Just go back and look at that thing that is supposed to demand respect, not derisive snickering from our opponents.

Yeah, it gets worse every time. My eyes….they are burning.

I mean, really, from what branch of the animal kingdom is that THING from? I don’t think that catasptrophe of nylon and stuffing can even cvlaim to look like any living creature on earth. WHAT IS THAT?

Imagine So-Called Timeout’s first friendly visit to Children’s Hospital. You know, he’s supposed to make children feel better, not make them cry in terror and mothers say, “Dear God, what is that thing?!”

Just thinking about it makes me want to hit him over the head with a bedpan. I’m sure I’m not the ony one…but hey, I’m nice. My bedpan was recently cleaned,

He makes Barney the Purple Dinosaur look cool. Heck, Barney would make a decent mascot next thing–we’ll call him Barney the Bulldog. That pudgy dino looks more like a bulldog then the new Timeout.

The cheerleaders will love him.

My advice: Kill the stupid thing before it multiplies. I want the old Timeout back. He was funny, and orginal and dadgum, everyone liked him.

I speak for all student’s when I say that NO ONE will EVER like this….this…..thing. GET RID OF IT BEFORE THE STUDENTS DO.

• K

Kill it...NOWSep 7, 2007 at 3:52 am

One word: BAD.

The cheerleaders will love him.

• F

FSDogs1Sep 6, 2007 at 11:35 am

I’ll tell you what, althought I am one of the MANY who is outraged that the new Timeout was changed so drastically, I have to admit the costume does appear to be high-quality.

But that doesn’t change the fact that tradition is being tossed by the wayside here. This isn’t minor league baseball where you can rebirth yourself every three years to stay cool. This is college football, where staying cool means keeping tradition.

You want to connect better with students and alumni? You’re not gonna do it by getting rid of everything they remember.

My love for the ‘Dogs is unwavering, but I was just saddened to see so much change to the icon of the athletics program — Timeout. It would have been great to get a new costume (slightly different) with the same color and the tongue. The whoopie cushion tongue was GREAT! It was ridiculous and laughable, but memorable and original! AT LEAST bring that back, or some sort of long tongue hanging out.

Seriously, it’s just sad. It put a damper on the entire game last Saturday…

• F

FSDogs1Sep 6, 2007 at 6:35 pm

Jerry GarciaSep 6, 2007 at 11:26 am

who cares? Is wrestling coming back—-even women’s wrestling!? Can we add a men’s volleyball or women’s gymnastics team to the varsity program offerings? All this talk of Timeout is shifting focus from the real issue of the mismanaged Athletic Dept.

Jerry GarciaSep 6, 2007 at 6:26 pm

Buck SwopeSep 6, 2007 at 11:03 am

Doesn’t look like a dog but it beats the living daylights out of the former. Come on folks, the old timeout was a gender-bending, weak, gray piece of trash.

Uggghhhh, I ‘member the old Timeout had this balloon tounge thing back in the 01-02 school year. It was like a whoopie cushion or something. Does anyone elder statesman of the college recall that?

Buck SwopeSep 6, 2007 at 6:03 pm

MeganSep 6, 2007 at 9:20 am

Just some thoughts…

1) Lets rename the brown furry thing to “Crack Cat.”
    2) Bulldog stadium can now be referred to as the “litter box”
    3) the goal post can now be the official scratching post for “Crack Cat.”

And to respond to the “new timeout’s” comment… you just wanted to fit in? Is that why you look like you just stepped out of a meth lab? In elementary school I learned to “just say no!”

And just as a friendly suggestion — please don’t come to visit the student section. Your visit is not welcome and for your safety to best if you don’t come near us.

MeganSep 6, 2007 at 4:20 pm

Just some thoughts…

• N

New TimeoutSep 6, 2007 at 8:57 am

I just wanted to fit in. It’s not my fault the athletics department created me! I can change!

• N

New TimeoutSep 6, 2007 at 3:57 pm

• F

fresnosportsfanaticSep 6, 2007 at 7:48 am

What do you know, athletics screws up yet again! What in the heck were they thinking? Did they conduct any kind of market research at all…likely not because their athletic marketing department probably doesn’t even know how to conduct research! I have not found one person that has liked the new “rabid cat” look that Timeout is sporting, including myself. And why brown of all colors? I have never seen any of our logos featuring a brown dog, which is why our favorite mascot SHOULD NOT BE BROWN!

Bring back the old Timeout athletic department! This is one of the only things you hadn’t been gotten yourself in to hot water about…but I guess with your track record as of late it’s not that surprising you couldn’t add something else to the list!

• F

fresnosportsfanaticSep 6, 2007 at 2:48 pm

• E

EvanSep 5, 2007 at 8:51 pm

This new Timeout s a joke. I have been a Bulldogs fan my whole life and supported them through the good times and the bad. This new Timeout is a slap in the face to the fans of Fresno State. He looks like that grinning idiot from the Enzyte commercials, not the playful TO that EVERYONE has grown to love and adore. Bring Timeout back before you ruin even more of the athletics program.

• E

EvanSep 6, 2007 at 3:51 am

• N

NicoleSep 5, 2007 at 6:00 pm

I hate the new timeout not only does he not look like a bulldog they killed a tradition that has been around for years when i saw it i felt like they killed part of my childhood. timeout is supposed to be a grey wrinkled bulldog with a floppy tounge NOT something so stinking ugly that looks nothing like a bulldog. We are bulldogs not hey whats that brown furry thing

• N

NicoleSep 6, 2007 at 1:00 am

TonySep 5, 2007 at 2:52 pm

OMG…THAT STUPID DOG DOES NOT LOOK NOTHING LIKE A BULLDOG…IT LOOKS LIKE A “YO QUIERO TACO BELL” CHIHUAHUA….! PLEASE…BRING “TIME-OUT'” BACK…THAT WAS A TOTALLY STUPID IDEA…! WHOEVER CAME WITH IT..! WHAT WERE YOU THINKING.????!!!!

TonySep 5, 2007 at 9:52 pm

MikeSep 5, 2007 at 12:07 pm

I absolutely hate the new Timeout! We need to bring back the old Timeout because that is one of our few traditions that we have as Fresno State…The new mascot makes Fresno State look ridiculous and I’m appalled at how cheesy he looks. Bring back “The Timeout,” tongue and all!

MikeSep 5, 2007 at 7:07 pm

MeganSep 5, 2007 at 10:41 am

He is so ugly! What was athletics thinking???! It looks like a freaking smiling cat! I miss the old Timeout! PLUS the new Timeout matches the colors of Victory E., but looks nothing like the bulldog on all of our logos. Way to keep the consistency there Athletics! Oh and what are you trying to do to students? First you take away our beer and now you expect us to cheer with an ugly mascot that makes us embarassed to call ourselves “real bulldogs!” WTF!

MeganSep 5, 2007 at 5:41 pm