WEB-SPE@K: Is the Vivas $5.85 million award too much?

Former California State University, Fresno volleyball coach Lindy Vivas was awarded $5.85 million by a jury this past summer that ruled the university had discriminated against her.

Vivas and her attorney were suing for $4.1 million, but the jury awarded her above and beyond that amount for a total of $5.85 million.

Is her financial award excessive? You decide!

Comments may be used in the print edition of the newspaper. Be sure to pick up next Friday̢۪s issue of The Collegian for featured comments.

The Collegian reserves the right to edit material for length, content, spelling and grammar, as well as the right to refuse publication of any material submitted. All material submitted to The Collegian becomes property of The Collegian.

$100
$500

$100
$500

DanOct 12, 2007 at 12:01 pm

In light of yesterday’s settlement with Diane Milatunovich, the amount is just right.

DanOct 12, 2007 at 7:01 pm

JasonOct 9, 2007 at 3:13 pm

Vivas was awarded based on the # of counts FSU was found guilty on. Again too small after paying lawyers and bills. Again Welty kew about this whole thing, the Jury were given numerour emails on this matter that were sent to Welty. He also knew the reputation of Scott Johson and hired him anyway. Lesson learned by FSU now. 2 years later.

JasonOct 9, 2007 at 10:13 pm

• P

Pete CarrollOct 5, 2007 at 11:36 pm

The amount awarded was to small. Vivas will pay 1/3 of the amount to her lawyers. I hope this trial sends a clear message to the university, be fair, dont discriminate and dont hire jack ass athletic directors. Welty knew about this whole thing and instead of replacing S. Johnson he looked the other way. Lesson learned, i think not.

• P

Pete CarrollOct 6, 2007 at 6:36 am

• X

Xango VulviisSep 20, 2007 at 2:09 pm

yeppers!!! excessive by any and all counts.

• X

Xango VulviisSep 20, 2007 at 9:09 pm

Mike FosterSep 14, 2007 at 12:43 pm

This topic just isn’t as rivoting as the New Timeout I guess.

This is definitely an excessive amount. I can see it getting lowered in the appeal process.

Mike FosterSep 14, 2007 at 7:43 pm

Carl JeutesteinSep 12, 2007 at 10:19 am

Of course. No college coach, regardless of sport, is worth 5 million bones.

Carl JeutesteinSep 12, 2007 at 5:19 pm