WEB-SPE@K: Is Campus Pointe a good idea?

Since the conception of the project, Campus Pointe has drawn severe criticism from the Fresno State community, particularly local businesses. Do you think Campus Pointe will benefit our university?

Comments may be used in the print edition of the newspaper. Be sure to pick up next Friday̢۪s issue of The Collegian for featured comments.

The Collegian reserves the right to edit material for length, content, spelling and grammar, as well as the right to refuse publication of any material submitted. All material submitted to The Collegian becomes property of The Collegian.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• X

Xango VulviisNov 24, 2009 at 3:35 pm

I would have gone with Paris Hilton, but good job, IS.

• R

Rebecca GonzalesSep 28, 2007 at 2:06 pm

Wake up Fresno State students! We should be organizing and mobilizing – as in protests, that is. Where is your concern for the future of this campus and the air quality? 20,000 more cars? We can barely breath now, what with the methane from the farm animals mixed with the existing inversion layer. And how can a public university allow private businesses use its land for profit and in the process, send the message that fast food, gambling and shopping are healthy ways for students to pass their time? This project smacks of crooked Fresno politics, just like every other development that has “benefited” Fresno. Sure, you can attract people when you build something, but does that mean you attract quality people? I highly doubt Fresno State will compete with other universities for the academics-oriented student with another movie theater and Taco Bell. Additionally, I would like to say “kudos” to Fresno State for the solar parking structure, but is it not possible to build a VERTICAL structure with the solar panels on top? This way you actually help SOLVE 2 problems (parking and power) instead of myopically focusing on just one (power costs)? Why does Fresno State have to be part of the problem and not the solution when it comes to urban sprawl? Is this not one of the key points of concern taught us by our professors? How is more urban sprawl and land waste beneficial for the economy, our health and our community? To me, it’s an example of teaching one principle and demonstrating that you feel it’s worthless by acting in opposition to it. I think if a University has community well-being at the core of its organizational goals, then the practices it employs should mirror that concern, don’t you? It’s like Dr. Welty and other administrators feel that nobody is watching and they are free to do whatever it takes, ethics aside, to bail the University out of trouble. Ask yourself this: how can our community produce good citizens by employing these tactics?

• R

Rebecca GonzalesSep 28, 2007 at 9:06 pm

• P

PositivitySep 27, 2007 at 1:23 pm

Wow, so many haters bloggin….geeez, and when it’s all said and done don’t bother to visit it than……. 😉

“Don’t let negativity slow down the University. Keep growing strong Fresno State!”

• P

PositivitySep 27, 2007 at 8:23 pm

• G

Go Else Where Than! SupporterSep 27, 2007 at 9:18 am

^
    |
    |

|
    |
    \/

• G

Go Else Where Than! SupporterSep 27, 2007 at 4:18 pm

^
    |
    |

|
    |
    /

• G

Greyson SupporterSep 27, 2007 at 4:13 pm

Yes. I will soon be leaving the United States AND Earth for the same reasons soon.

• G

Greyson SupporterSep 27, 2007 at 9:13 am

Mike GreysonSep 26, 2007 at 10:25 pm

Go Else Where then? Sure, if we’re critical of Fresno State’s administration, we should just up and leave. No need for us to be around these parts.

Mike GreysonSep 27, 2007 at 5:25 am

• G

Go Else Where Than!Sep 26, 2007 at 4:26 pm

———–EXIT—————>

• G

Go Else Where Than!Sep 26, 2007 at 11:26 pm

———–EXIT—————>

Michael StivikSep 26, 2007 at 4:22 pm

The future of Fresno State makes me a little sick.

Michael StivikSep 26, 2007 at 11:22 pm

Campus PointeSep 26, 2007 at 1:36 pm

Whether you like it or not, Campus Pointe is going to happen. So if you really want to fight for what you believe in than do so and make it happen. With the project passing only now you can decide what becomes of it. Being a student, I am embracing it, for it is better to give than to receive. “It’s not what the University can do for you, but what you can do for the University.” The future of Fresno State looks bigger. 🙂

Campus PointeSep 26, 2007 at 8:36 pm

WalkingSep 26, 2007 at 12:48 pm

Walking long distances isn’t much of a concern, but isn’t the parking lot project, the one with the solar panels, completely different and not related to Campus Pointe? That’s the point of the above comment about the project being a way’s off from even the Save Mart Center.

Having another restaurant near Fresno State is NOT exciting. Neither is another movie theatre. I fail to see how a shopping center is history in the making. Unless by history you mean that it will happen and be acknowledged as existing.

The university doesn’t make money but it needs money. And I’m sure there is money to be acquired through this project. Otherwise it would be a completely horrible idea. The point is that while Welty and his friends authorize raises for themselves and apparently make waves in the business world, we are stuck with ever-increasing costs and negative results in class.

I keep asking for someone to explain the economics of this thing but no one understands it. We should be skeptical of the motives and how the project affects students.

Student housing so close is a good thing. I just don’t think that is the focus of the project.

Fresno State is a fantastic university. BUT we don’t have to be quiet about the Pointe if we don’t like it!

WalkingSep 26, 2007 at 7:48 pm

• K

Kevin McAllisterSep 26, 2007 at 10:46 am

awful idea. makes me wanna scream. Auughgggh!!!

• K

Kevin McAllisterSep 26, 2007 at 5:46 pm

• H

HousingSep 25, 2007 at 4:20 pm

Certainly housing will be beneficial. With the new apartment complex built there, students are able to walk/bike/board to school rather than riding a car. I understand that the malls/stores are a concern, but aren’t we having trouble dealing with lunch on campus already? Everyone doesn’t have to go to the Student Dining area, there are plenty of other restaurants close by, and more will come when Campus Pointe is complete. There’s also in store to have a new parking lot that will assist easing the pain of not having one. And stop complaining about walking long distances, there are university bikes/shuttles that you can use and if you don’t like that, go to Fresno City instead! Tuition is another issue, but if you understood the U.S. currency, it’s only going to get worse. Blame the government for doing that, not the university. The university is not here to make money, that’s why they are a “Non-profit” and rely solely on the backs of the State and donors in which Fresno State needs more of. You should be proud of this exciting time, because this is history in the making. Fresno State is a fantastic university and if you don’t like it, there’s always the “other” schools………….you pick!

• H

HousingSep 25, 2007 at 11:20 pm

ButSep 25, 2007 at 3:56 pm

How can the campus grow if there’s a big-ass SHOPPING CENTER in the way!?

Seriously, I just want someone to spell it out for me. How does this help students fiscally?

Is this thing going to help pay university professors so we have enough classes that aren’t packed to standing room only? Is it going to keep tuition down? I seriously doubt it will benefit the average Fresno State STUDENT.

ButSep 25, 2007 at 10:56 pm

Donald TrumpSep 25, 2007 at 3:05 pm

What happens when you outgrow your shoes? You buy bigger shoes! With those who disagree, “You’re Fired!”

Donald TrumpSep 25, 2007 at 10:05 pm

anonymousSep 25, 2007 at 2:23 pm

believe it or not, but Fresno State WILL have more students. Not only attending students, but also High School students. So stop complaining and being part of the problem and start thinking of a solution. 🙂 Have a nice day!

anonymousSep 25, 2007 at 9:23 pm

• T

To AnonSep 25, 2007 at 2:17 pm

To Anon: Please explain what is going on in your brain.

I don’t understand the rent and headaches part. I guess you’re saying we should park PAST the Save Mart Center at the Starbucks or whatever they put out there and then walk to class .

Not a bad idea if the other parking is taken! Maybe they won’t tow us like the SMC does.

The last thing I want at Fresno State is more students.

• T

To AnonSep 25, 2007 at 9:17 pm

anonymousSep 25, 2007 at 1:58 pm

The matter of fact of how rapid Fresno State is growing, it is only necessary to build this project. I do believe that this is going to cause more traffic than before, but that is something we must adapt to. Could you imagine if we don’t build it now that there will be even less parking space, rent increases, and more headaches? With the Campus Pointe Fresno State is making a statement, by reinvesting in itself to have more students attend Fresno State and to build a campus community. This is a huge step forward and will only benefit Fresno State’s future. So the question I ask you all who disagree on this project is, “What do you do when you run out of money?” You find out how to make more of it…..

anonymousSep 25, 2007 at 8:58 pm

• R

Ralph MacchioSep 24, 2007 at 9:53 am

It is just plain bad.

• R

Ralph MacchioSep 24, 2007 at 4:53 pm

It is just plain bad.

Megan BakkerSep 24, 2007 at 8:51 am

The only thing I was ever excited about was getting a full-service grocery store within walking distance. The rest of the stuff is, in most cases, redundant. We don’t need the movie theater, or more big box retail shopping, or more restaurants/fast food.

I think what was at first a decent idea – get some more housing and some conveniences for students – turned into this huge mess when CSUF realized they could make a ton of money off of attracting tons of stores, rather than the one or two that could actually be useful to students. And businesses like it because having the students around means a guaranteed customer base (not to mention, according to one of the older Collegian articles, they get some kind of tax break for building on university land).

Generating revenue for the school wouldn’t be that bad, except that most of it will probably end up in Welty’s pocket in the form of pay increases anyway, and students and teachers wouldn’t ever see it.

Megan BakkerSep 24, 2007 at 3:51 pm

• U

Urie KlemmSep 22, 2007 at 2:06 pm

ThisCampus Pointe idea needs to be reported on more extensively by local media outlets. There is something very suspect aboutthe negotiations. The school paper has done well, but until all small business owners, students, andany with a vested interest inCSU Fresno. Something smells funny about the idea of a retail center on CSU fresno land

• U

Urie KlemmSep 22, 2007 at 9:06 pm

• H

Howard G. FerrariSep 22, 2007 at 12:41 pm

The concept is awful- The campus DOES NOT need this at a time when students can’t even find all-day parking within campus property- This will send the university down a bad path- I urge this project’s defeat by students and faculty.

• H

Howard G. FerrariSep 22, 2007 at 7:41 pm

McLovinSep 22, 2007 at 12:14 am

CampusPointe is the wrong project, proposed at the wrong time, and should never see the light of day

Parking garage, library opening, facility improvements before the project is even looked at

students are totally being trampled on

Get real

McLovinSep 22, 2007 at 7:14 am

students are totally being trampled on

Get real

• X

Xango VulviisSep 21, 2007 at 12:07 pm

• I

It sucksSep 21, 2007 at 10:36 am

This plan sucks like John Denver. Of course it’s not a good idea.

• I

It sucksSep 21, 2007 at 5:36 pm

Danny TannerSep 20, 2007 at 9:49 pm

No, absolutely not. How does a plan like this mesh with the notion of a University for a New California? Fresno is a giant strip mall to begin with. How will this new strip mall benefit the greater campus community?

Danny TannerSep 21, 2007 at 4:49 am