WEB-SPE@K: How do alcohol policies affect the campus?

The university banned alcohol at Bulldog Stadium last year. Simultaneously, The Bucket still sells alcohol, and alcohol is served at certain university functions. Should the university establish a more consistent alcohol policy?

Be sure to read the print edition of next Friday̢۪s issue of The Collegian for featured comments.

The Collegian reserves the right to edit material for length, content, spelling and grammar, as well as the right to refuse publication of any material submitted. All material submitted to The Collegian becomes property of The Collegian. We would like to encourage readers to continue to submit their ideas and opinions. We look forward to a lively and open discussion with our readers.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Alcohol Bad, Freedom GoodOct 16, 2007 at 11:37 am

need I say more?

Alcohol Bad, Freedom GoodOct 16, 2007 at 6:37 pm

need I say more?

JillOct 4, 2007 at 9:21 am

Doesn’t Fresno State have a “zero-tolerance alcohol consumption policy” for students while on-campus? I am confused because when it comes to drinking around the stadium pre/post game that zero policy disappears. Policy? What policy? I observe students, alumni, and fans drinking beer and wine while walking to the stadium, but most of the people drinking around the stadium are not students. I think the real problem is the drunken slobs who like to drink and eat in their car then leave wreckage everywhere for everyone else to clean up.

I think it’s a joke that an ASB poll states something like “most students drink on average, less than two to three drinks per week.” Drinking is a problem or the university would not have changed the drinking in stadium policy. Selfish people do what they do regardless of the toll it takes on others or the campus. Last time I checked – littering, open containers, public intoxication, drinking in public, and drunk driving were crimes. And I fail to see how the zero-tolerance alcohol policy or publishing the ASB drinking poll changed anyone’s behavior.

Fresno County and campus waste management teams place recycle and garbage bins in and around the stadium to deter littering, but all are filled beyond capacity. An example is Lot Q on the Monday following a Saturday home game. Take a look sometime. Our campus is a complete disaster area – it looks like a garbage dump. Empty beer cases, cans, plastic soda bottles, wine bottles ran over with broken glass, cigarette butts, potato chip bags, empty pizza boxes and garbage strewn everywhere within a half-mile radius of the stadium. It takes the campus employees three to five days to clean up the mess made by fans leaving their trash.

The Bulldog fan fare and tailgating have contributed to this growing problem and it isn̢۪t all about trash. Our Associated Student Body and the Fresno State Campus Police Dept. need to step up the patrols and enforce more compliance on game days, also come up with a permanent solution to the litter and crime that prevails around our campus on game day.

JillOct 4, 2007 at 4:21 pm

I think it’s a joke that an ASB poll states something like “most students drink on average, less than two to three drinks per week.” Drinking is a problem or the university would not have changed the drinking in stadium policy. Selfish people do what they do regardless of the toll it takes on others or the campus. Last time I checked ”“ littering, open containers, public intoxication, drinking in public, and drunk driving were crimes. And I fail to see how the zero-tolerance alcohol policy or publishing the ASB drinking poll changed anyone’s behavior.

Fresno County and campus waste management teams place recycle and garbage bins in and around the stadium to deter littering, but all are filled beyond capacity. An example is Lot Q on the Monday following a Saturday home game. Take a look sometime. Our campus is a complete disaster area ”“ it looks like a garbage dump. Empty beer cases, cans, plastic soda bottles, wine bottles ran over with broken glass, cigarette butts, potato chip bags, empty pizza boxes and garbage strewn everywhere within a half-mile radius of the stadium. It takes the campus employees three to five days to clean up the mess made by fans leaving their trash.

The Bulldog fan fare and tailgating have contributed to this growing problem and it isn’t all about trash. Our Associated Student Body and the Fresno State Campus Police Dept. need to step up the patrols and enforce more compliance on game days, also come up with a permanent solution to the litter and crime that prevails around our campus on game day.

• X

Xango VulviisSep 28, 2007 at 3:54 pm

A ’21 means 21′ policy is all that’s needed. Anything more is overkill.

• X

Xango VulviisSep 28, 2007 at 10:54 pm