The One-Finger Salute

Thumbs up to the Bulldog football team for winning their season opener on Saturday 24-3 against the Sacramento State Hornets. We’re hoping it bodes well for the team — a sign they’ll be able to keep up with teams that actually do play football.

Thumbs down to the new design for Timeout. The new, smiling Fresno State mascot was unveiled Saturday night at the Bulldogs̢۪ season opener, much to our dismay. We worry the new mascot doesn̢۪t look much like a dog at all, but rather a cougar. Or a bear. Or a Warner Bros. cartoon. In any case, we were happier when Timeout wasn̢۪t.

Thumbs up to three day weekends. After a week of sitting through professors reading through the “cheating and plagiarism/disruptive classroom behaviorâ€Â portions of our syllabi, we needed a break.

Thumbs down to attendance policies. It̢۪s our money and we̢۪ll skip if we want to, skip if we want to, skip if we want to.

Thumbs up to the Student Parking Forum, taking place at 3 p.m. this afternoon at the Smittcamp Alumni House. We are skeptical any change will come from the event, but appreciate the effort. We hope students will attend and show the university that something needs to be done about parking on this campus.

“The One-Finger Saluteâ€Â is culled each week from discussions in The Collegian newsroom.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• N

New TimeoutSep 6, 2007 at 3:37 pm

Truancy is a bigger economic strain than illegal immigration! All that wasted cash so rich kids can sleep in and get drunk. I see where this country’s priorities are!

• N

New TimeoutSep 6, 2007 at 10:37 pm

Davis CarrSep 6, 2007 at 1:58 pm

Your money? skip if you want?——your education is nearly fully subsidized by the people of California, buddy boy. More professors need to hold their students responsible for skipping and cheating and talking or using mobiles in class.

The student parking forum was a total joke. Good idea in premise, but this campus couldn’t care less. They make $75 off of each semester pass and feel no empathy for students who have to resort to risking Save Mart Center parking——-do they actually tow cars on event nights?

Davis CarrSep 6, 2007 at 8:58 pm